THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

+38
Mbaine
Kepler-Euler
UncleBoni
mekatilili
aggressor one
Fabrizio
mwepesi
mambotupu
tempest
vince
MWAURA
Kobooz
mJESHI mMOJA
Ole Sidai
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
mashaa
livefire
MOOZALENDO
timoh
Balozi
chui
areba
Al Bashir
SS Jamuhuri
Analyst
Batian
jasiri
kimiti
Sierra Kilo
Flying Crane
Spartan
mbs
Observer
countersniper
cylon
Risasi
Olekoima
mogen
42 posters

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 15:04

kimiti wrote:
mekatilili wrote:It is baffling that we are still drooling over the 'mighty and effective KDF' when none of our cities are safe! I said this here a few months ago; but it seems everyone is still excited by our show of 'military might' thousands of miles away from home yet we have forgotten the homeland! Very soon these vile cowards and their mystics will be running the show in Kenya and unrest will continue to grow. This new tactic they have employed is sadly effective and I cower at the thought of its exportation to the bigger towns and cities.

Very soon gunmen with grenades and guns will be raiding the malls, churches and streets of Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu and Nakuru and the government will be playing catch up, opportunistic politicians making speeches at the scenes before the blood stops flowing and our police force will get to the scene of the crime an hour after the fact.

We have sold our country to the highest bidders, opened our boders to those with money and now our cities are overrun with Somali militants and their sympathizers and other Islamists that are keen on going after your mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and friends blood.

Kismayu falls! SO WHAT! Will that bring back the semblance of stability to our burning nation? Will that kill the spirits of the Islamists that have infiltrated our country?

We sold ourselves to the Americans and we continue to pay the price and even when we insist that Kenyana is the power we serve, no one will see past our prostitution to the Americans. They sit pretty in Washington and innocent Kenyans pay the price!

Close the borders, send the Somalis back to the liberated regions of their country, bring our troops back home to protect the homeland, or We may as well see ourselves from what we are becoming, Kenyanistan.

I support the deployment of the troops in somalia to the hilt. Infact, they should be upped if necessary, and stay there till the job gets jobbed. There are currently less than 5,000 troops so that leaves over 40,000 of them free. The police as we see them are fucking incompetent and something needs to be done pronto. the only time I see police is when they are collecting bribes on our roads and guarding banks. who are these guys serving coz its not the ordinary Mwananchi!
If these attacks continue, the outcome will be very dire for a section of people in this country. Its just the wrong timing being the election period when we all look for excuses to release the animal in us, and it does not auger well for the Somalis in our communities. We just don't need this.
Internal Security needs to up their ante and style up or just sod off!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81734328@N06/?uploaded=1&magic_cookie=92ed27a99e5ac34d20ab0215bffef1e2

This is just unacceptable, the only way to deal with the situation in the NFD is to have Kenyan security forces securing the refugee camps including screening of all the new refugees streaming into the camps everyday! hell if it means tagging every male Zoomali in the camp electronically to track movement. The sight of security personel lying dead is disheartening to say the list, it sends shivers down the spine of peace loving Kenyans. This cowards must be dealt with and soon with the force intellect and finality that they deserve. Employing boko haram tactics in Kenya signals the end of their cowardly acts. UNHCR and other aid agencies operating in these camps should be made to understand that the security need for Kenyans come 1st, otherwise they should take them refugees to their damn countries! my condolences to the berieved families

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Terror Threat was issued on 27th and 28th

Post  Analyst Mon Jul 02 2012, 15:33

It is actually very disturbing and insulting that Kenyans continue to die alongside security officers.

Al-Shabaab is aware of laxity in Kenya's internal security systems besides their routines and low-level security measures.

Am ashamed to admit that, unless a MZUNGU issues a warning , no one including our local media and internal security and NSIS will take note.

With Due Respect Gentlemen, i have posted 2-articles from SINNER which not only analyzed the threats, but also the targets and locations very accurately.

At-least after reading carefully, Countersniper, Mogen, Ole-Nkarei, Effrommers, Aggressor-1, Spartan, Cyclon...all of you guys should give your input in an impartial and 'SECURITY BASED INSIGHT' on this without using abusive-out of topic rhetoric. We all know with our wisdom, we can shape this Regions Security Policy

Terror Threats and Targets by Al-Shabaab in Kenya
June 27 | Posted by David Goldman | Intelligence News, Military Intelligence

Possibilities of Somali-based and Al-Qaeda affiliated terrorist group Al-Shabaab launching terror attacks on civilian population and military personnel have increased intelligence produced confirm.

This terror alert has been produced after a critical analysis of events and actions of the militants besides the decoding of various messages posted in ‘pro-Al-Shabaab websites (OPEN-SOURCE INTELLIGENCE SOURCES).

The actions of the militants have rapidly increased since the weekend of 23rd-24th June 2012 with both terrorist and militia activity becoming rapid and multi-pronged.

23rd June, a popular cafe in the heart of Qansah Dheere district

On 24th June, the terror attack in Kenya

Uganda arrests Pakistani’s with Al-Qaeda links entering Ugandan through a un-gazetted border point

Tuesday, unconfirmed reports of attacks on AMISOM

Warning of action against AMISOM and KDF

Coded and syllabicated statements by Al-Shabaab on their intents to strike Kenyan forces and its interests

Al-Shabaab may use the independence days of Somalia to act as a catalyst to their cause (liberating Somalia) by attacking KDF perceived as an invader (similar to colonialists).

Propaganda incentives and statements made by the militants through pro-militants blogs and websites (these statements often depict intentions/principal objectives of the militants; which they want to accomplish in few days time).

Terror Attack Alerts on Civilian Populations

Targets:- civilians
Target Areas:- Mogadishu, Afgoye, Afmadow, Garissa, Nairobi, Mombasa, (other areas offering opportunity to inflict high casualities are not ruled out.
Targets:- Roadside targets, hotels, public terminals, government facilities.

Source Matrix:-2-day old threats and statements made my Al-Shabaab, terror actions by the terrorists, pattern of actions/terror events.

Terror Attack Alert to Civilian and Military Personnel in Action in Somalia

Possible attacks from Al-Shabaab militia active in Somalia will occur. KDF/SNA will be targets.

Source matrix:-2-day old Al-Shabaab statements and militia/terror actions consummate culmination of the intent to accomplish such missions.

Targets
Juba region of Somalia:-KDF/SNA bases, moving troop convoys

Inside Al-Shabaab Plans, Counter Intelligence to Preempt.
June 28 | Posted by David Goldman | Intelligence News, Military Intelligence

Al-Shabaab has not stopped to function, rather it is energized and more determined to inflict a significant blow to its aggressors,mainly Kenya which neighbors Somalia and viewed by the militants, as the catalyst that has helped speed their ouster.

Thousands of Al-Shabaab fighters have either died, seriously wounded/maimed, or vanished from their ranks and fold, inflicting serious damage to the militants militia activity capability.

In their tactical and forced retreat, Al-Shabaab is not defeated, rather provided with opportunity to rethink their strategy owing to the fact they still control much of Somalia (Central and Southern).

Al-Shabaab is now split into small units headed by either a foreign fighter with vast guerrilla or terrorist activity knowledge to facilitate success in operations or a militant with skill-set and leadership capacity to achieve desired objectives in a timely manner.

This new policy can be described as ‘Small Unit Leadership’, where trade-craft is the basis of the militants objectives.

In small unit leadership, set objectives are decisively sought after thorough planning, gathering of intelligence, timing and expeditious execution of the strategy to increase success ratio.

In the new small unit leadership plan, Al-Shabaab hopes to launch the following operations to achieve objectives

The militants will use squads which will use hand held grenades, car bombs, suicide bombers, IED’s and guns to launch attacks on targets. Such targets include restaurants, eating places, cafes (coffee & tea places), bars, churches, and public transport corridors/areas.

On civilian targets, bombing facilities as aforementioned may escalate besides tactics like kidnap being used.

Planting of improvised explosive devices (IED) on roadsides to ambush transport convoys of soldiers. In such operations, the militants will attack armed forces in patrol, or on transit/deployment/resupply.

Rocket attacks will be used by small units against military bases and convoys.

Guerrilla’s/commando units will launch attacks on military camps in Somalia at night and at convoys of patrolling troops.

The militants will opt to launch very significant attacks on their enemy, KDF, AMISOM, and Ethiopian troops any time anyhow. This is a policy that will help dent morale and strategy of these armies further giving the militants a cause.

There are factors to consider when countering these small units such as their location,time of ambush, and distance from effective weapon range to destroy them.

To lock the target and fire a salvo that can destroy their location can be an effort too late with damage already inflicted, hence, scouting is primary in the KDF and other players operations.

KDF and other AMISOM players must dispatch aerial expeditionary patrols to conduct surveillance operations to confirm safety besides destroy such enemy positions

It is advisable we give such insight as members of any security system either private or government and even as civilians, the required input in-terms of dissemination to relevant official security institutions for quick risk mitigation. Allow me to say, with all due respect to the admin and revered forrummers here, that if someone took such information seriously, and implemented measures,lives could have been saved, and a major blow inflicted on the cowards who committed these heinous crimes against humanity

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Mon Jul 02 2012, 16:27

Analyst i had already said my part on how to solve the growing refugee problem because sending them back now to somalia isn't going to change a thing until they are all recuperated and the clan maneno solved...

Daadab reminds of a pool of stagnant water where mosquitoes are breeding in massive numbers.

The plan i called for was to create smaller refugee camps holding around 1,000 people or more where the government and aid agenices would have an easier time providing aid and the government would have a more proactive role in securing the camps from any unwarranted entries from smugglers or terrorists. The conditions in the camp will be favorable with playing areas for the kids, small gym for the youth + a football field, entertainment center etc... to keep the folks busy, Meal cards and identification badges will be handed out to the refugees that will ensure they are who they say they are and be able to get food.... This way we can stop the propaganda preaching manics who are corrupting the somali youth.

Also can somebody please tell the police boss to issue a police warrant to search trucks leaving/entering nairobi, mombasa ,eldoret which are coming from NEP because i have reason to believe that AS is using food trucks to smuggle its leaders into the country and are also transporting weapons, money to Daadab and other contacts in NEP. The trucks are being switched in every major town to lower the risk of them being caught by police, if they can be found and searched it would be a short term solution of stopping the arms movements(GSU should do the searching local police cannot be trusted)
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  Analyst Mon Jul 02 2012, 16:31

Cyclon...

Quite in-order with your proposition, very stringent and adverse measures are now a must if we have to achieve security in Kenya.

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 17:43

@Mekatilii - your anger and frustration mirrors mine, is shared by everyone except AS and their sleepers on this forum. But lets keep a balance in our reactions to these demons. @Spartan offers good advise, man- just take time off and blink, you stare too long at the Devil, it corrupts you; we must not at all give cause to the AS to rationalise their madness by our actions. Sort of like the Moral Divide between the Israelis and Arabs decades-old argument - on whose side is God in this senseless fratricidal conflit?? I will shoot the bastards, as much as every Kenyan wants, but only when I ''can see the color of their eyes'', not one second before.

Also, I think our exchanges must contain a bit of good manners - comments about drooling over KDF muscle gives impression of a KDF Cadre Muscled where brains ought to be, for crying out loud!! These blanket sweeps of Kenya Police, NSIS and KDF incompetence, though understandable in their motivation, are wholely misinformed - we will never be completely secure as long as Zoomaliya is a hell-hole in our backyard, hell, even the Elmolo despite their very small population are not crime-free!!

A recap of my earlier posts (Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) ole Nkarei on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am), if I am allowed to; and also to politely point out that Kenya Security Establishment is not an amorphous entity, nor is it a monolithic, single-faceted organism. Generally, it is (i) Internal,(ii) External,(iii) Intelligence (Civilian, Military). Each has a core-definition of function and purpose, some overlaps do exists inevitably. The efficiency in this nexus of these three Security Elements is what we need to build on, and are building on even now. It does not mean that these Security Elements are efficacious only when Threats to Society are absent or are not registered in general society - that would be entirely simplistic a proposition.

Calls to Militarizing the olicing of the Refugee Camps inside Kenya are improbable and unconstitutional. Similarly a mite shortsighted are these imperious calls for a shortening of our Defensive Perimeter to our Borders, which simply brings the greater danger we face (not these low-grade opportunistic five-to-seven man hit-and-run activities of recent times inside the Homeland) right to our doorsteps - we must defend the Homeland to the greatest ''depth'' permissible by International Law, in this case 150Km inside Zoomaliya!!

Finally, Threatre has cooled down markedly but for a few high-value Centres, which KDF will infest in short order. Moving these camps ''voluntarily'' into Jubaland is gaining wider acceptance, not least from yesterday's Signed Agreement in Nairobi by the Azaania, ASWJ, Ras Kabooni, and TFG on the political and Administrative Governance of GEDO, JUBALAND and KISMAYU post-AS(GoK and Ethiopia Government to underwrite and secure this Agreement!!).

Lets maintain focus, and appropriate balance, Wazalendo!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Analyst Mon Jul 02 2012, 19:07

These blanket sweeps of Kenya Police, NSIS and KDF incompetence, though understandable in their motivation, are wholely misinformed - we will never be completely secure as long as Zoomaliya is a hell-hole in our backyard, hell, even the Elmolo despite their very small population are not crime-free!!

[/quote]

Ole Nkarei Sir!

I once answered a very difficult question from a Mwanchi of Kenya...'Do you think NSIS is good enough?"
My answer was based on a professional approach to the issue and i said this "They are good, but not good enough"

I have 5-years experience in analysis and currently doing a masters in the intelligence field. I can confidently say, NSIS lacks in several ways, so does the Kenya police, and the CID.

I will exemplify my reservations/skepticism with a scenario based on your military field.
On last Friday, aid workers were kidnapped. This incident falls in the internal security docket. Early Monday, the kidnapped were rescued by KDF/Ras-Kamboni boys (Defense ministry arms).

Another scenario is the Garissa attack, the cops killed were 'caught unawares', credible intel shows one was reading, and the other not alert at all. There was no cover.
When the army is on alert, they issue the ZULU ALERT. You cant compromise the barracks at all then.

Here we identify collation of a weakness in the internal security institutions in terms of
(A) Intelligence gathering, intelligence analysis, Intelligence production, and Intelligence reporting to customers
(B) Preparations to preempt/neutralize the threat (before and during manifestation)
(C) Public Policy, awareness level, internal security levels/arrangements.
(D) Bureaucracy in the internal security and intelligence systems
The issue of Somalia as a threat is the NSIS mistake. NSIS failed to critically analyze long-term implications of regional geopolitik, militant activity, and poor intelligence production and reporting. (Intelligence Briefs that confirm existence of critical threats to NATIONAL SECURITY require pragmatic reporting, besides comprehensive mitigation of these threats.

Risk Mitigation is a critical aspect of the intelligence cycle. It is the process through which means/measures to neutralize these threats are identified, recommended and resources to support them are deployed.

Finally, the notion that incompetence in the internal security and intelligence dept of GOK, is based on both a public policy created by the protagonists incompetence, and incredibly unconventional character/actions when relating and dealing with civilians.

Unlearned school dropouts with mere basic gun-handling training cannot suffice to secure the country.
We need skilled recruits who are passionate and committed in security studies, roles, and objectives.

Hopefully we can agree on this impartially sir!

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 19:46

[quote="Analyst"]

I once answered a very difficult question from a Mwanchi of Kenya...'Do you think NSIS is good enough?"
My answer was based on a professional approach to the issue and i said this "They are good, but not good enough"

@Analyst - please keep to the ''Call-sign - I get enough of those 'sirs'' out of forum!! Bro, I find nothing to disagree with your position, which clearly show depth of your ken about this subject. Honest, I have a healthy respect for your opinions since those early days, and my general remarks were not actually directed at you, Analyst. Someone ought to be ''running'' you, mate!!

Restrospective self-examination is integral to growth, for these Agencies too. Highlights strengths and growth areas, and the direction of growth. Those areas you have zeroed-in on are poignant and pertinent - no doubt the Higher-Ups in these Agencies ought to be acutely aware of them, coz I would if these were on my desk.

And dang right you are - Unlearned school dropouts with mere basic gun-handling training cannot suffice to secure the country. We need skilled recruits who are passionate and committed in security studies, roles, and objectives. Hahaha!! Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Kenya to use US and UK-trained special forces and rangers to capture Kismayu

Post  UncleBoni Mon Jul 02 2012, 19:54

Check out this nice article about Kenya's 'Special Forces' and the 'Rangers Strike Force' from the East African.

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Kenya+to+use+commandos+to+attack+Kismayu/-/2558/1440552/-/2j6ejdz/-/index.html
UncleBoni
UncleBoni

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:03

githinjibn wrote:Check out this nice article about Kenya's 'Special Forces' and the 'Rangers Strike Force' from the East African.

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Kenya+to+use+commandos+to+attack+Kismayu/-/2558/1440552/-/2j6ejdz/-/index.html

Hehehe! Welcome @githinjibn.

Good reading, that article. A good number of harmless inaccuracies, a healthy amount of deliberately planted suppositions, but nonetheless the general picture emerges - ''...as damn good as..... as doggone mean as.. ..and all Kenyan''!! pirat pirat

KDF/SOC would not be anything to talk about as a fighting command if her vital ''nuggets'' were hanging out like that!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  UncleBoni Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:08

ole Nkarei wrote:
githinjibn wrote:Check out this nice article about Kenya's 'Special Forces' and the 'Rangers Strike Force' from the East African.

Hehehe! Welcome @githinjibn.

Good reading, that article. A good number of harmless inaccuracies, a healthy amount of deliberately planted suppositions, but nonetheless the general picture emerges. As damn good as, as doggone mean as.. and all Kenyann!! pirat pirat

KDF/SOC would not be anything to talk about as a fighting command if all her ''nuggets'' were hanging out like that!! Laughing

Ahsante sana.

I took it with some grain of salt but nonetheless it was nice learning some tidbits about our Special forces. We proud of them.
UncleBoni
UncleBoni

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Ndio hao - RSF

Post  UncleBoni Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:12

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 546123_10150775585398746_391370494_n
UncleBoni
UncleBoni

Back to top Go down

Post  mbs Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:14

Analyst wrote:
These blanket sweeps of Kenya Police, NSIS and KDF incompetence, though understandable in their motivation, are wholely misinformed - we will never be completely secure as long as Zoomaliya is a hell-hole in our backyard, hell, even the Elmolo despite their very small population are not crime-free!!

Ole Nkarei Sir!

I have 5-years experience in analysis and currently doing a masters in the intelligence field. I can confidently say, NSIS lacks in several ways, so does the Kenya police, and the CID.

I will exemplify my reservations/skepticism with a scenario based on your military field.
On last Friday, aid workers were kidnapped. This incident falls in the internal security docket. Early Monday, the kidnapped were rescued by KDF/Ras-Kamboni boys (Defense ministry arms).

Another scenario is the Garissa attack, the cops killed were 'caught unawares', credible intel shows one was reading, and the other not alert at all. There was no cover.
When the army is on alert, they issue the ZULU ALERT. You cant compromise the barracks at all then.

Here we identify collation of a weakness in the internal security institutions in terms of
(A) Intelligence gathering, intelligence analysis, Intelligence production, and Intelligence reporting to customers
(B) Preparations to preempt/neutralize the threat (before and during manifestation)
(C) Public Policy, awareness level, internal security levels/arrangements.
(D) Bureaucracy in the internal security and intelligence systems
The issue of Somalia as a threat is the NSIS mistake. NSIS failed to critically analyze long-term implications of regional geopolitik, militant activity, and poor intelligence production and reporting. (Intelligence Briefs that confirm existence of critical threats to NATIONAL SECURITY require pragmatic reporting, besides comprehensive mitigation of these threats.

Risk Mitigation is a critical aspect of the intelligence cycle. It is the process through which means/measures to neutralize these threats are identified, recommended and resources to support them are deployed.

Finally, the notion that incompetence in the internal security and intelligence dept of GOK, is based on both a public policy created by the protagonists incompetence, and incredibly unconventional character/actions when relating and dealing with civilians.

Unlearned school dropouts with mere basic gun-handling training cannot suffice to secure the country.
We need skilled recruits who are passionate and committed in security studies, roles, and objectives.

Hopefully we can agree on this impartially sir!

[/quote] Nail on the Head Analyst ! The Internal Security docket (police) has to do a detailed report on the failures of the Kenya Police mandate in protecting the mwananchi. Some of the failures pointed out are so basic that you wonder what strategy is in place. If churches are High Value Targets, why not have mobile police patrol the areas in this locations ? Why only have 2 static police when you could have 2 static and 2 mobile police ? Am sorry to say but Kigango curriculum has not moved with the times and that includes the instructors in Kigango. It is time we admit that the Police on this day failed their job and we shouldnt say the events was un-avoidable. What we need is a purge of the old guards who are just not up to the job. Transfering whoever was in charge to another local will just be transfering the problem to another region.
mbs
mbs

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Hostages rescued

Post  Guest Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:18

mogen wrote:Four kidnapped aid workers rescued in Somalia
A joint force of Somalia and Kenyan soldiers has rescued four aid workers kidnapped from the Dadaab refugee camp three days ago. One Al-Shabaab militant was killed and another one arrested in the Sunday night rescue in Alibule, 70km from Afmadow.

The four, who work with the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), come from Canada, Norway, Pakistan and the Philippines. "They are safe in our hands, they have been freed," said Kenyan army spokesman Cyrus Oguna. Somali commanders also confirmed the hostages, seized on Friday in the Dadaab refugee camp, had been released.

Military helicopters and police had chased the gunmen on Friday, who drove off with the hostages in their vehicle. It was later found abandoned, with fears the gang were heading towards Somalia, some 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Dadaab....Click to read more of the story
or go to: http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kidnapped+aid+workers+rescued+in+Somalia/-/1056/1441862/-/k5d0j8z/-/index.html

Glad to know that those brigands were chased and caught. The buffer zone may happen sooner that some people think.
Washindwe!!!

@ON Any info on how this rescue was carried out?

It amazes me how situationally unaware our police are.......walk past any place that they are suppossed to be guarding.....their weapon handling is poor, no cover, they sit at exactly the same spot day in day out. They seriously need to be trained.

@ Analyst, I agree with you that the citizens of this country must wake up to the fact that we are at war with terror and change our attitudes accordingly. The press and security agencies should start enlightening us on situational awareness and steps to take in case of an attack in the same way that we prepare ourselves in case of a fire breakout.

Back to top Go down

Post  Analyst Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:21

[quote]
ole Nkarei wrote:
Analyst wrote:

@Analyst - please keep to the ''Call-sign - I get enough of those 'sirs'' out of forum!! Bro, I find nothing to disagree with your position, which clearly show depth of your ken about this subject. Honest, I have a healthy respect for your opinions since those early days, and my general remarks were not actually directed at you, Analyst. Someone ought to be ''running'' you, mate!!

Restrospective self-examination is integral to growth, for these Agencies too. Highlights strengths and growth areas, and the direction of growth. Those areas you have zeroed-in on are poignant and pertinent - no doubt the Higher-Ups in these Agencies ought to be acutely aware of them, coz I would if these were on my desk.

And dang right you are - Unlearned school dropouts with mere basic gun-handling training cannot suffice to secure the country. We need skilled recruits who are passionate and committed in security studies, roles, and objectives. Hahaha!! Very Happy Very Happy

With a light touch Sir!

The SIR! bark is inherent once you get a leaning on the security/disciplined community.
Respect to seniority....only those with the air of 'Superiority complex' will avoid it, sir Ole-Nkarei!

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Analyst Mon Jul 02 2012, 20:28

@MBS, @MSHAMBA

Sure guys....it is lethargic to have a system that does not work.

We need an effective security-intelligence system that can provide early warnings, relate/work with the civilians in a professional manner, deliver desired results through neutralizing threats, and consistently subscribe to the 'motto' UTUMISHI KWA WOTE.....besides being dependable, available, and capable.

Ole-Nkarei...

Hehee...no one is riding that horse with the funny shoe!

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Sidai Mon Jul 02 2012, 22:30

Creative article loaded with in-accuracies on both sides of thinking spectrum. The fact is that this force been active and effective since independence. Been very effective on CIO's in Kibich,Turks regions combating Toposas/Ndongilo/Pokots rustlings. With changing times and growing terror threat, positive things have been going on to outclass threat.

I count myself lucky to have hosted my former buddies here doing "Training of Trainers" masomo and teams coming for annual training and competitions. Quite frankly they always give sammy boys run for their money and tehnology! It is no suprise AS is changing gear into soft target. They simply can't put any tangible resistance. These guys got teams fluent in almost all East African languages,tacticaly efficient,physically and mentaly effective.

Gsa church attack is probably the start of worse similar killings to happen. I beg we be strong in all aspects to absorb the monster. I remember the many masacres that took place in early 90s when these refugee camps were created. I once was attacked at Hega-Dam. Quickly fought back, caught one who lead us to Hagandera Refugee camp where we recovered 17guns. I almost lost my job but my comanders called out politicians BS who were listening to UNHCR. We were fired at, my boys returned fire and caught one of the firers who upon soft interrogation lead us to their armoury which happened to be in the refugee camp. Countersniper boys decided not to join us inside but I said.....what the henk !

Proper vetting needs to be done in all those refugee camps to weed out AS operatives. Local communities need to be sentised with the need and application of self policing, crime prevention and community empowerment. A potion of CDF should be allocated to funding such initiatives. Muslims and Christians should also be in the forefront to diffuse this killing monster in the name of religion.
Is God this evil to reward people who kill others.....innocent people,young and elderly, with virgin girls in heaven? WHAT GOD IS THAT WHO CAN REWARD EVIL KILLERS WITH VIRGIN GIRLS?
Ole Sidai
Ole Sidai

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Tue Jul 03 2012, 08:41

How strong is Community Policing in Kenya? How often does a civilian see a suspicious character and point it out to the nearest security personnel? I have been in Kenya and realized that community policing is not as strong as it is in Uganda. Under the current circumstances, community policing MUST be emphasized across the country, train village/zonal security teams and let them stay in their locales all the time.

In Uganda, Community Policing was the main task of the Local Council 1 leaders and i have to say it was successful. Under the system, residents are seasoned to look out for any kind of threat from wherever-in other wards at one time every resident was watching over their neighbor. It is because of this that when a terrorist was recently seen acting funny in a bus and reported to the nearest security personnel.

The LC system is supposed to have a register of every resident in their locale, though this has not been possible in recent years owing to massive rural-urban migrations. But it has worked to solve crime.

The attack in Garissa shows that the militants still possess some brave characters, good at their skill set amongst them. Simply ask yourself, how did the goons in uniform-with hoods and not civilian clothes find their way to the target without anybody raising a finger in such high risk area? I agree with Analyst that somebody went to sleep on the job at the wrong time and in a 'Red Alert' zone hence the bloody results.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty KDF SOF

Post  Kepler-Euler Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:08

Habari to all.

Firstly, congratulations to KDF and the Somalia allies for the brave deeds of rescuing the kidnapped civilians.

As a Kenyan civilian who is keen on understanding the evolving doctrine and modus operandi of KDF I was wondering if any one out there can shade some light on these queries to the extend possible.

1. Is the KDF-Navy's Clearance Diving Unit(CDU) part of KDF Special Operations Force?
2. Are they engaged in the current theater?

Once again, I'll be happy with a response to the extend possible even if in general. Further, I am more than happy to entertain any space/satellites related querries.

Peace
Kepler-Euler
Kepler-Euler

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:36

Kudos to Security services for stopping this attack and capturing those two Iranian terrorists who work for the Islamic Guard in Tehran.. But it looks like we are being dragged into a shit storm with the Usa, Israel, Iran playing there small proxy outbursts in the country.

Two Iranians who led authorities to a cache of explosives after their
arrest planned to attack Israeli, U.S., British or Saudi targets inside
Kenya, officials said.

The two are believed to be members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary
Guards Corps Quds Force, an elite and secretive unit that acts against
foreign interests, one of the officials said.

The foiled attack appeared to fit into a global pattern of alleged plots
by Iranian agents. Previous plots were uncovered in the U.S.—against
Saudi Arabia's ambassador—as well as in Thailand, Azerbaijan and India.

Kenyan security forces arrested the Iranians on June 19 but the case
came to broader light this week. Officials said after the arrest,
security forces were then led to 33 pounds of RDX, a powerful explosive
that could have been used against multiple targets or concentrated in
one large bomb. If used together, the explosives could have leveled a
medium-size hotel, officials said. The officials spoke on condition of
anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation.

Five Iranian scientists with links to Tehran's nuclear program have been
killed in the last two years, and Iran has blamed Israel—as well as
U.S. and British intelligence agencies—for the attacks. In return,
Israel blames Iran for alleged reprisal missions on Israeli property and
personnel overseas.

Iran has denied any links to attacks outside its borders.

"It is much more likely if they were to do anything in Africa that they
would try to find Israeli targets rather than U.S., British or Saudi
targets," Cordesman said. "The reason basically is that to some extent,
there is an al-Quds operation against Israel, which is a reprisal to
Israeli attacks on Iranian physicists and scientists."

Several resorts on Kenya's coast are Israeli-owned, as is Nairobi's
largest and newest shopping mall. Militants in 2002 bombed an
Israeli-owned luxury hotel near the coastal city of Mombasa, killing 13
people. The militants also tried to shoot down an Israeli airliner at
the same time. An al-Qaida operative was linked to those attacks.

Representatives at the U.S. Embassy, the British High Commission and the
Israeli Embassy declined to comment on the latest arrests. Kenya's
government spokesman did not answer phone calls or text messages seeking
comment.

Investigators believe that if the Iranian plot had been successful,
suspicion would have naturally fallen not on Iran but instead on the
al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group al-Shabaab. Al-Shabab has
threatened to bring Nairobi's skyscrapers to the ground following
Kenya's military push into Somalia last year.

Militants—most likely from Somalia—have pulled off small-scale attacks
in Kenya in the last year, including kidnappings, grenade attacks and a
bombing in downtown Nairobi that peeled back the roof of a building.

It is unlikely the Iranians were working in concert with al-Shabab
because the two groups come from two different branches of Islam and
don't normally cooperate.

The advanced explosives the Iranians had and their links to the Quds
Force would indicate the mission in Kenya was cleared by the highest
levels inside Iran's government, the two officials who spoke to the AP
said.

Cordesman said it's not clear how much central direction Quds operatives receive from top Iranian leaders.

The two Iranians were arrested in Kenya's capital, Nairobi, but led
investigators to the explosives in Mombasa. Mohammad said in court last
week that he and Mousavi were injected with an unknown substance against
their will. The Kenyan magistrate ordered the allegation to be
investigated.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304211804577503220777649372.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs%3Darticle

But it also looks like we are playing with fire here enraging both sammy and David(Israel)

Kenya has agreed to import 4 million tonnes of Iranian crude oil per year, a senior Kenyan energy official said on Monday.

Patrick Nyoike, permanent secretary at the energy ministry, said the two
governments signed the memorandum of understanding on the oil last
month. He did not say how many years the agreement covered.

"The details will come later," Nyoike told Reuters by telephone,
declining to comment on how the deal sits with U.S. and European Union
(EU) sanctions against Iranian oil exports.

Most other importers of Iranian crude oil have sharply reduced purchases to earn exemptions from U.S. financial sanctions.

The European sanctions - including a ban on imports of Iranian oil by EU
states and measures that make it difficult for other countries to trade
with Iran - came into effect on Sunday.

Lawmakers from the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate are
meanwhile working to finalise a new package of sanctions aimed at
further reducing oil and other revenues used by Iran to further its
nuclear program.

Nyoike said the crude would total about 30 million barrels over one year, equivalent to around 80,000 barrels per day.

Kenya's only refinery said last month it would start buying its own crude oil. It processes 1.6 million tonnes a year.

Kenya has signed similar memorandums deals before.

Under President Mwai Kibaki, the east African nation has increasingly
turned to new economic partners, forging close ties with nations like
China and Libya under Muammar Gaddafi's leadership.

The shift in foreign policy stance has sometimes caused unease among its
traditional western allies. Kenya is a key strategic ally in the U.S.
led fight against militant Islam.

http://www.businesslive.co.za/world/int_markets/2012/07/03/kenya-agrees-to-buy-iran-oil-silent-on-sanctions
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  Observer Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:50

aggressor one wrote:How strong is Community Policing in Kenya? How often does a civilian see a suspicious character and point it out to the nearest security personnel? I have been in Kenya and realized that community policing is not as strong as it is in Uganda. Under the current circumstances, community policing MUST be emphasized across the country, train village/zonal security teams and let them stay in their locales all the time....

Policing in Kenya in my opinion hasn’t moved away from the colonial askari legacy and neither has the training evolved as it should, that's why citizens are still adverse to police and thus community policing efforts have failed. Police still seem intent on seeing the "mwananchi ni adui" perspective and where police and citizen interact it's "on a scratch my back i scratch yours" policy, it will require time and effort with a lot of internal force & policy re-engineering to get citizens to fully trust cops...too much has been lost over the years. At the same time at the policy level nothing has given; reform focus has dwelt too much on the human rights abuses angle (thus the sacking and transfer remedy) forgetting the need for better new methodology; recruitment (as pointed out by analyst) training, doctrine, better command, equipment, welfare ... all this to create an institution that has force pride; we have seen this kind of evolvement with KDF and i bet the uniforms will tell you they wear the camo with pride... we need a similar doctrine in the police force, if the politics will allow us...
Observer
Observer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 12:24

Kepler-Euler wrote:Habari to all.

Firstly, congratulations to KDF and the Somalia allies for the brave deeds of rescuing the kidnapped civilians.

As a Kenyan civilian who is keen on understanding the evolving doctrine and modus operandi of KDF I was wondering if any one out there can shade some light on these queries to the extend possible.

1. Is the KDF-Navy's Clearance Diving Unit(CDU) part of KDF Special Operations Force?
2. Are they engaged in the current theater?

Once again, I'll be happy with a response to the extend possible even if in general. Further, I am more than happy to entertain any space/satellites related querries.

Peace

Karibu, @ Kepler-Euler. Check your Private Message Box.

Space / Satellites, eh? Houston? Well, you have kindred right here with Cylon - PM him get acquainted Laughing !!

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Internal usalama

Post  MOOZALENDO Tue Jul 03 2012, 13:19

[quote="ole Nkarei"]
Analyst wrote:

I like all other patriots will never ever accept to be subject to some thugs such as AS. Something else, please tell Mekatilili that AS even if left alone comes shitting on us without good reason, then posts threats on youtube "ati Nairobi tunakuja". Kenyans (from all religious extractions) do not espouse the kind of religious hate and violence these guys purvey. However, people, our policemen have a dangerous mental inertia which is not only a danger to themselves but to every body else. Imagine somebody gets his arms, buys a newspaper and goes to guard a Church in Garissa while distracted by the newspaper if accounts are true? Quite unhealthy. A policeman accepts a bribe and allows in a dangerous individual who later turns round and kills him!

The police must take a different posture, a differet mindset and know that danger lurks both for themselves and wananchi. They should not wake up each morning and sit below their favorite tree as they bask in the sun. Mindset, mindset, mindset. Hiyo tu ndugu zanguni. KDF endelea na kazi. I actually could not stifle a fist pump when I heard those workers had been rescued. We must change our lazy predictable ways AND START thinking the way AS would think.

Mooz
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Tue Jul 03 2012, 15:01

MOOZALENDO wrote:
However, people, our policemen have a dangerous mental inertia which is not only a danger to themselves but to every body else. Imagine somebody gets his arms, buys a newspaper and goes to guard a Church in Garissa while distracted by the newspaper if accounts are true? Quite unhealthy. A policeman accepts a bribe and allows in a dangerous individual who later turns round and kills him!

The police must take a different posture, a differet mindset and know that danger lurks both for themselves and wananchi. They should not wake up each morning and sit below their favorite tree as they bask in the sun. Mindset, mindset, mindset.

@Mooz
Kenya police force are the weakest link in our national security and this A.S. maneno will no doubt define and hasten the much touted police reform.

a picture frequently circulated on the internet which compares police forces paint a not-so-pleasant image of our police force.Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Kenya_12
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Tue Jul 03 2012, 16:10

@Analyst,
Thanks for your interest to get my HO on mitigating effectively security risks within the republic. As a civvy I know it is not a secret anymore that the war on terror has found the nation at the wrong time when the security apparatus and their associated wings are operating under a self-imposed detachment from matters civilian a precedence inherited during pre-independence.

Since the inception of CBP the overall anticipated synergy has failed to materialize. There is the TKK factor that anyone that wants service has to be able to produce. The top brass has failed to address this and now the need for the police force to go back to the drawing board or reforms is precipitated by such security lapses. The inception of the CBP agenda was to enhance this synergy between the police and civilian population but it has failed.

And of-course one will swiftly interject with the idea of remuneration but it is quite complex than that. There is need to restructure and reintroduce advanced training methods and equipments to the police force. In one of my earlier posts here at TEA I had suggested that the paramilitary wing be upgraded to full military unit while the police training be upgraded to paramilitary (this is in regards to the training regimen only). This will enhance the police to react appropriately when attacked during similar situations. The country needs to come up with an effective methodical approach to tackle terrorism and its probable proponents.

The Key advantages of a reformed police force to fight counter-insurgency and terrorist threats :

(I) They are in a better position to handle counter-insurgency and internal terrorist threats better than a military trained to fight external enemies.

(II) Successes will be achieved If it is linked to a fair legal-system that practices the rule of law fairly to protect individual rights and provision of citizen security.

@Observer
Another scenario at MSA IEBC office where an AP officer was wrestled until he submitted his firearm depicts serious flaws when it comes to police training. No doubt that KDF is living up to its COD but concerning Daadab, there needs to be rebuilding or relocation plan for that camp because it has become a source of potential security risks for visitors, aid workers, and the local population. There will be the usual crowing from western media but for security's sake such steps are necessary to finish these challenges once and for all.

Last edited by Efrommers on Tue Jul 03 2012, 20:39; edited 7 times in total
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Post  mekatilili Tue Jul 03 2012, 18:28

Insinuating that patriotism is synonymous to one’s appetite for military action is –to say the least- a poor understanding of the world around us. Our number one priority should be improving the Kenyan condition and since the age of “sparkatilili” we have declared our support for the stated cause (@Mooz no need for intermediaries). The Alshabaab should be flushed out of their lair and must pay dearly for the atrocities they have committed in our homeland.

We are strong as our weakest link, the Kenya Police. I urge some of you to: snap out of the illusion of our capabilities, the divinity of our defense apparatus, to recognize the fact that we can support the troops without glorifying war and that it is ok to give our lowly opinion on the state of affairs.

As long as Somalia remains lawless, Daadab is allowed to expand, and we are left to shoulder the refugee problem, there is going to be a spill over of violence. That is why I insist Dadaab should be relocated to the liberated regions and security provided by the international community in those areas. and we also need to stem illegal immigration from Somalia and other countries.
mekatilili
mekatilili

http://my254.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Tue Jul 03 2012, 19:53

Ndugu @Ole Nkarei you could not candidly disseminate those secret CDU manenos you gave to Kepler-Euler.
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty 'Iranian Terrorism'

Post  Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 22:38

Further, I am more than happy to entertain any space/satellites related querries.

@Kepler; how feasible is it to have a satellite(s) as part of our security apparatus? Costs?

Not sure if you are also a specialist in drone technology, but what are your thoughts about having drones 'police' the red alert zones?

On another front,some news outlets have reported that the 2 Iranians arrested in MSA were here to bomb the Israeli Embassy?
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/kenya-official-iranian-agents-planned-attack-against-israeli-u-s-targets-1.448358
Is this true?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 23:26

Efrommers wrote:Ndugu @Ole Nkarei you could not candidly disseminate those secret CDU manenos you gave to Kepler-Euler.

The brother is a newbie, and I just wanted to karibisha yeye - and threw him a couple of Kenyan charcoal-grilled Molo Lamb tenderized Ribs to remind him of home!! Very Happy Very Happy

Wny you ask about the 30th and the 40th?

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty Curios about these CDU manenos?

Post  UncleBoni Wed Jul 04 2012, 08:49

If you're curios about this KDF-Navy's Clearance Diving Unit(CDU) manenos, here are some insights: http://bit.ly/Mvk5dh

@ON you don't have to go clandestine on some of these manenos. It doesn't hurt to go 'light' without compromising vital intel.
Laughing Laughing
UncleBoni
UncleBoni

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 18 Empty KDF to Join Police in Internal Security

Post  Analyst Wed Jul 04 2012, 10:04

I read a post on the Nation about KDF initiative to help in internal security.

While there will be some ramifications with some police officers finding themselves in serious trouble with military men, the technical aspect of deployment and operations dynamics rules out joint security operations.

KDF will deploy interdependently to reduce risk ratio due to possible security issues related to policing

During June 1st Celebrations, the army was deployed in the perimeter to back up security.

However, i rule out possibility of such deployment in current scenario based on operational constrains and difference in deployment-resources-environment.

However the post points out (“Military can now be involved in internal security as and when necessary, courtesy of the new Constitution,” )....not so soon though.

Last edited by Analyst on Wed Jul 04 2012, 10:12; edited 1 time in total

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 26 ... 34  Next