THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

+38
Mbaine
Kepler-Euler
UncleBoni
mekatilili
aggressor one
Fabrizio
mwepesi
mambotupu
tempest
vince
MWAURA
Kobooz
mJESHI mMOJA
Ole Sidai
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
mashaa
livefire
MOOZALENDO
timoh
Balozi
chui
areba
Al Bashir
SS Jamuhuri
Analyst
Batian
jasiri
kimiti
Sierra Kilo
Flying Crane
Spartan
mbs
Observer
countersniper
cylon
Risasi
Olekoima
mogen
42 posters

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 20 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Post  mogen Fri Jul 06 2012, 14:14

Vitruvian wrote:
rwigi wrote:@ Kepler. Thank you for that.

@Kobooz:

@vitruvian You will come to be surprised that it works when men pray. I
will also tell you that Israel stands, feels more secure to be in
Jerusalem than in most cities in East Africa not because of military
might, not because of protection from sammy but because of divine
favour.

I could not agree further with you. History time and time again has proved that a man who believes on his own strength fails. Failing to acknowledge God is recipe for irreversible downfall. It may be slow in coming but it ultimately comes.

KDF needs to train and have the best weapons but their success is dependent on whether God helps them win or not. God not being visible when soldiers fight does not mean he is not there and helping them.

@Vitruvian: God and not just training will determine whether KDF win or lose.
Why should God help KDF and not the more pious Al-Shabaab? Are we not all his children? Are Al-Shabaab evil or have they simply strayed? And if the latter, in His omniscience and omnibenevolence, can He not find room for forgiveness and put them on the right path?
I have never been in a foxhole or faced the prospect of imminent death but have been under extreme stress on many occasions. Reasoning and level-headedness, as well as MY will - not blind faith - got me through. My experiences, therefore, may be different from yours so please understand that I do not place much emphasis on a speculative and indeterminable ethereal being alleged to possess superhuman powers.
We are all atheists. The difference between you and I may only be in that, as an enlightened freethinker, I believe in one god less than you do, of which there are so many to choose from. I am simply more atheist than you are.
There is ample empirical evidence for most everything that surrounds us and my personal choice has been to follow the more difficult route - understanding. I don't want to believe. I want to know.

This, however, NOT being the right forum for such a debate, I will leave it with the aphorism quoted above - there are no atheists in foxholes. Which, considering man's fickle nature, is not only to be expected but also understood.

@Vitruvian
Having or having no faith in a Supreme Being is a personal choice. Military chaplains have a long long history [eg the first English military-oriented chaplains were priests on board naval vessels during the 8th century]. In a combat environment military chaplains have an important role to play. A chaplain provides spiritual and emotional support for service personnel and conduct religious services. Many armies still retain Chaplains, a term that now includes Rabbis, Imans, priests, pastors, humanistic chaplain or lay representative of a world view.

Surely, the emotional toll on soldiers in combat environments for prolonged periods of time is no small matter. If you check records of war veterans you will note that an overwhelming number of them suffer from emotional/mental health issues for life. The US has huge numbers of these cases from Vietnam to Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan. Chaplains and prayers have made a difference for many. After all 'there are no atheists in foxholes or crashing aeroplanes'.
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06 2012, 18:18

mogen wrote:
Vitruvian wrote:
Why should God help KDF and not the more pious Al-Shabaab? Are we not all his children? Are Al-Shabaab evil or have they simply strayed? And if the latter, in His omniscience and omnibenevolence, can He not find room for forgiveness and put them on the right path?
I have never been in a foxhole or faced the prospect of imminent death but have been under extreme stress on many occasions. Reasoning and level-headedness, as well as MY will - not blind faith - got me through. My experiences, therefore, may be different from yours so please understand that I do not place much emphasis on a speculative and indeterminable ethereal being alleged to possess superhuman powers.
We are all atheists. The difference between you and I may only be in that, as an enlightened freethinker, I believe in one god less than you do, of which there are so many to choose from. I am simply more atheist than you are.
There is ample empirical evidence for most everything that surrounds us and my personal choice has been to follow the more difficult route - understanding. I don't want to believe. I want to know.

This, however, NOT being the right forum for such a debate, I will leave it with the aphorism quoted above - there are no atheists in foxholes. Which, considering man's fickle nature, is not only to be expected but also understood.

@Vitruvian
Having or having no faith in a Supreme Being is a personal choice. Military chaplains have a long long history [eg the first English military-oriented chaplains were priests on board naval vessels during the 8th century]. In a combat environment military chaplains have an important role to play. A chaplain provides spiritual and emotional support for service personnel and conduct religious services. Many armies still retain Chaplains, a term that now includes Rabbis, Imans, priests, pastors, humanistic chaplain or lay representative of a world view.

Surely, the emotional toll on soldiers in combat environments for prolonged periods of time is no small matter. If you check records of war veterans you will note that an overwhelming number of them suffer from emotional/mental health issues for life. The US has huge numbers of these cases from Vietnam to Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan. Chaplains and prayers have made a difference for many. After all 'there are no atheists in foxholes or crashing aeroplanes'.

Thank you. I do understand.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Fri Jul 06 2012, 20:10

Vitruvian wrote:@Vitruvian Having or having no faith in a Supreme Being is a personal choice. Military chaplains have a long long history [eg the first English military-oriented chaplains were priests on board naval vessels during the 8th century]. In a combat environment military chaplains have an important role to play. A chaplain provides spiritual and emotional support for service personnel and conduct religious services. Many armies still retain Chaplains, a term that now includes Rabbis, Imans, priests, pastors, humanistic chaplain or lay representative of a world view.

Thank you. I do understand.[/quote]

Vitruvian, I hate to be on opposite sides with you, bro. And of course I am one of the forumers who best understand (and respect) you here. I've sat out this God and Soldier thread since it begun but I must admit, I've finally succumbed to its allure. In the West, liberals equate belief in God with all sorts of ''uncool'' atributes, chief among them the inability of a person to think for oneself.

This is my 'coming out', ladies and gentlemen, officers and men, I believe in a higher Being, God to be exact. I've been in a trench and other life-threatening bad days at work, and I admit - I prayed to God to forgive the sins of my past and accept me should I not leave the field on which I found myself. You see, as a soldier, my role models as World War II soldiers, soldiers who believed in their mortality and in the good that would come out of the missions they were prepared to sacrifice their lives for. I've spent hours reading their letters and I believe we would be in one big German empire (or dead) were it not for their sacrifices, made possible by their belief in a higher being, a force for good.

I fully signed off on this work and accept all its hazards, including the likelihood of an early death. I've had my whole life to comprehend my response to the question of whether God is there or not, and I have two conclusions as follows;

[1] All authority comes from God (Nothing would be if God did not WILL it). God willed that I be born and become a soldier under certain authorities (presidents)

[2] No one has proven the existence, or lack of existence, of God (the existence of the Higgs Boson further moves the question to "Who created the first Higgs Boson particle? for me). I would rather die believing in God than resurrect and face God, and the consequences, as a nonbeliever. If there is no resurection, I lose nothing still coz I will be dead, right?

[3] Research has shown that people of faith live healthier and longer lives. We all love a winner, don't we?
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  mekatilili Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:54

[quote="Spartan"]

[1] All authority comes from God (Nothing would be if God did not WILL it). God willed that I be born and become a soldier under certain authorities (presidents)

[2] No one has proven the existence, or lack of existence, of God (the existence of the Higgs Boson further moves the question to "Who created the first Higgs Boson particle? for me). I would rather die believing in God than resurrect and face God, and the consequences, as a nonbeliever. If there is no resurection, I lose nothing still coz I will be dead, right?

[3] Research has shown that people of faith live healthier and longer lives. We all love a winner, don't we?

Last edited by mekatilili on Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:14; edited 2 times in total
mekatilili
mekatilili

http://my254.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:09

Vitruvian wrote:
rwigi wrote:@ Kepler. Thank you for that.

@Kobooz:

@vitruvian You will come to be surprised that it works when men pray. I
will also tell you that Israel stands, feels more secure to be in
Jerusalem than in most cities in East Africa not because of military
might, not because of protection from sammy but because of divine
favour.

I could not agree further with you. History time and time again has proved that a man who believes on his own strength fails. Failing to acknowledge God is recipe for irreversible downfall. It may be slow in coming but it ultimately comes.

KDF needs to train and have the best weapons but their success is dependent on whether God helps them win or not. God not being visible when soldiers fight does not mean he is not there and helping them.

@Vitruvian: God and not just training will determine whether KDF win or lose.

@ Vitruvian: I like your thinking and if you ask me I believe you are one of the forum's heavy weights. That said, I disagree with you 101% when you start saying there is no God. I rest my case.

@ Spartan: Good point soldier! You have summed it all;
I
would rather die believing in God than resurrect and face God, and the
consequences, as a nonbeliever. If there is no resurection, I lose
nothing still coz I will be dead, right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:10

All of us daily seek answers to our Being, whether by Knowledge as my brother Vitruvian avows to, or by Faith as Spartan, Mogen, myself, and others do. I reckon that whichever of these two we employ in this search, there is little variance in the answers we get - God IS, and we are integral and eternal to God.

Indeed it is a fact that not every Soldier arrives at that junction point in his life to state in trembling awe this Truth, and I know not of one Soldier in History that ever failed to state this Truth without hesitation, and repeatedly. Whether inspired by the Terror before him or by Knowledge or by Faith. That some of his friends are fallen in this engagement and subsequent others later, his belief is reinforced that his survival is not his doing. So that eventually every Soldier willingly and with personal urgency (not resignedly) accepts Mortal Combat without preoccupations to the personal outcome of it, knowing without doubt that God alone would determine this outcome. To a Soldier about to engage in unlimited slaughter without second-thought, prayer is not the self-hypnotic mantra of half-understood and half-believed words and emotions usual in many Civilian Ceremonies - it is a re-connection with the eternal element in the Soldier, with God! That is my personal statement of my experiences.

Half-light is not equivalent to half-darkness anyway. Hiyu tuu!!

Last edited by ole Nkarei on Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:17; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  mekatilili Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:16

Hahaha…I was going to stay out of it but the mention of the Higgs Boson particle deserves a response. We have been teaching this at the university all week! The excitement!

Brother, Spartan I think yours is the most regressive of arguments! You ask who “created” the Higgs Boson particle and that swiftly moves the question to the realm of creationism-wild assumptions to say the least-and faith.

In the same breath, it is the complexity of being that you believe calls for the existence of a creator. Surely the existence of a creator-of such complex beings-calls for the existence of a creator of “the creator” and so forth! So who created god and who created the god that created god and the god that created the god that created god.......?

In regards to war, if a god existed I don’t see why he would take sides -by protecting and keeping one of the warring sides alive- or sit back and watch as humans kill and maim, not forgetting those caught in the crossfire. Only a sadist would sit back and watch that happen to something he/ she created. Much like a father aiding one of his children destroy the other. Why not just prevent evil and make the bad good?

The Higgs boson (god) particle has nothing to do with religion

BTW god particle (God damn Particle) as in god damn hard to find particle; nothing to do with religion. They just shortened the phrase to cut out the swear and grab attention-cheeky- scientists! Very Happy

Last edited by mekatilili on Sat Jul 07 2012, 01:24; edited 2 times in total
mekatilili
mekatilili

http://my254.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 00:13

Spartan wrote:Vitruvian, I hate to be on opposite sides with you, bro. And of course I am one of the forumers who best understand (and respect) you here. I've sat out this God and Soldier thread since it begun but I must admit, I've finally succumbed to its allure. In the West, liberals equate belief in God with all sorts of ''uncool'' atributes, chief among them the inability of a person to think for oneself.

This is my 'coming out', ladies and gentlemen, officers and men, I believe in a higher Being, God to be exact. I've been in a trench and other life-threatening bad days at work, and I admit - I prayed to God to forgive the sins of my past and accept me should I not leave the field on which I found myself. You see, as a soldier, my role models as World War II soldiers, soldiers who believed in their mortality and in the good that would come out of the missions they were prepared to sacrifice their lives for. I've spent hours reading their letters and I believe we would be in one big German empire (or dead) were it not for their sacrifices, made possible by their belief in a higher being, a force for good.

I fully signed off on this work and accept all its hazards, including the likelihood of an early death. I've had my whole life to comprehend my response to the question of whether God is there or not, and I have two conclusions as follows;

Spartan, thanks for the respect and civility you display, not only in this post but on this forum in general.

Allow me, then, to 'come out' too and explain my thoughts.
Religion is a matter of faith and a personal choice. And I respect personal choice, individual choice, provided it does no harm to others. I will not, for example, accept one's personal choice to empty a machine-gun into a school bus as an expression of one's faith.
There is a distinction between faith and religion (though - for obvious reasons - clerics will dispute this). An analogy here may be embracing the principles of democracy - faith - but not aligning oneself with any political parties - religion - though they may claim to advocate the same principles. I consider faith - the principle - as necessary to Mankind. Religion, I do not. Whatever its original form and purpose, it has evolved into an entirely different animal.
As a believer may have faith in the existence of God, so may a scientist have faith in the existence of life on other planets. In both cases there is (as yet) a total absence of any empirical evidence.
Culturally, I am Christian. I was educated in a parochial school in Nairobi - two, in fact. Consequently, my insight into the Scriptures is quite profound. Such as they are, I am pretty sure that even you, Spartan, would not give them much consideration were not the label 'Holy' attached to them and were they not associated with faith. Outside the context of faith, they are merely stories, even fairytales. And I mean no disrespect to the faithful.
The priests in my school encouraged the theological vide scientific debate and actively participated in it, though, in retrospect, they may have come to regret it. Because such debate allowed us to question the validity of religion. It encouraged critical thinking. It allowed us to think outside the box and not simply accept religion because we had been indoctrinated when we were little innocents, or because we had been threatened with unusually cruel and everlasting consequences should we dare exercise our (God-given) intellect by entertaining alternative truths. One of our conclusions was that - in a place such as Africa - the identity of the True God(s) actually depended on who colonised you first. First the land, then the mind.
If an atheist is one who does not believe in the existence of God or gods, then I cannot claim to be an atheist, in that I cannot disprove the existence of God (or prove his non-existence). This would be futile and to a scientist, proof is crucial. On the other hand, because of the sheer absence of any evidence whatsoever, I can claim that there is a very high probability that God does not exist. And since the existence of God is not my contention, it is not up to me to disprove it.
At the same time, my God-given intellect does not allow me to accept that 'God' is the correct answer to the multitude of questions we have about the cosmos, about biology, about Man. The fact the we don't (yet!) know who made the God Particle (or any other thing) doesn't mean that God made it. Such an answer is as uncritical as saying "some guy in Poland." I may then challenge you to prove that he didn't, rather than assume the burden of proof for a contention I made.
So, did God make the Higgs Boson?
One may choose to believe that he did. That is matter of faith. In the absence of empirical evidence, another may say that there is no proof that he did or, indeed, that there is no proof that he exists to have done so, so he probably didn't. That is a matter of critical and scientific thought. But you cannot ask one to disprove that he made that goddamn boson (or that he exists).
If that were a valid argument, then all the gods worshipped by humanity across the ages - from Horus through Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Thor, Amaterasu, Allah and Vishnu to Yahweh - and all those that may be worshipped in future, do and will exist. None of them can be disproved. In which case I must ask myself, which of these thousands is the True God?
I said earlier that I don't want to believe, I want to know. If God exists, I want to know, not merely believe.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As to rather believing than having to face the consequences, my take is this: if God exists and is omniscient, He will understand my beliefs and reasoning. Indeed, unless the Scriptures are untrue, He already does, He always has and is in fact individually and solely responsible for the nature of my understanding and reasoning. My thoughts (as my very existence) are His doing; and if God is omnibenevolent, he cannot possibly punish me for His own deeds.
There. I'm going to Heaven. I choose, therefore, not to live in fear.
Finally, a 2,300-year-old quote:
Is God willing to prevent evil but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

- Epicurus.

@mekatiliti, @ole nkarei - though you may be of conflicting views on this issue, I respect your right to foster and express them

@ Vitruvian: I like your thinking and if you ask me I believe you are one of the forum's heavy weights. That said, I disagree with you 101% when you start saying there is no God. I rest my case.
@rwigi - with respect, that is not how cases are rested, heh heh!

Last edited by Vitruvian on Sat Jul 07 2012, 10:45; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  MOOZALENDO Sat Jul 07 2012, 08:18

Vitruvian wrote:
Spartan wrote:Vitruvian, I hate to be on opposite sides with you, bro. And of course I am one of the forumers who best understand (and respect) you here. I've sat out this God and Soldier thread since it begun but I must admit, I've finally succumbed to its allure. In the West, liberals equate belief in God with all sorts of ''uncool'' atributes, chief among them the inability of a person to think for oneself.

Spartan, thanks for the respect and civility you display, not only in this post but on this forum in general.

Allow me, then, to 'come out' too and explain my thoughts.
Religion is a matter of faith and a personal choice. And I respect personal choice, individual choice, provided it does no harm to others. I will not, for example, accept one's personal choice to empty a machine-gun into a school bus as an expression of one's faith.
There is a distinction between faith and religion (though - for obvious reasons - clerics will dispute this). An analogy here may be embracing the principles of democracy - faith - but not aligning oneself with any political parties - religion - though they may claim to advocate the same principles. I consider faith - the principle - as necessary to Mankind. Religion, I do not. Whatever its original form and purpose, it has evolved into an entirely different animal.
As a believer may have faith in the existence of God, so may a scientist have faith in the existence of life on other planets. In both cases there is (as yet) a total absence of any empirical evidence.
Culturally, I am Christian. I was educated in a parochial school in Nairobi - two, in fact. Consequently, my insight into the Scriptures is quite profound. Such as they are, I am pretty sure that even you, Spartan, would not give them much consideration were not the label 'Holy' attached to them and were they not associated with faith. Outside the context of faith, they are merely stories, even fairytales. And I mean no disrespect to the faithful.
The priests in my school encouraged the theological vide scientific debate and actively participated in it, though, in retrospect, they may have come to regret it. Because such debate allowed us to question the validity of religion. It encouraged critical thinking. It allowed us to think outside the box and not simply accept religion because we had been indoctrinated when we were little innocents, or because we had been threatened with unusually cruel and everlasting consequences should we dare exercise our (God-given) intellect by entertaining alternative truths. One of our conclusions was that - in a place such as Africa - the identity of the True God(s) actually depended on who colonised you first. First the land, then the mind.
If an atheist is one who does not believe in the existence of God or gods, then I cannot claim to be an atheist, in that I cannot disprove the existence of God (or prove his non-existence). This would be futile and to a scientist, proof is crucial. On the other hand, because of the sheer absence of any evidence whatsoever, I can claim that there is a very high probability that God does not exist. And since the existence of God is not my contention, it is not up to me to disprove it.
At the same time, my God-given intellect does not allow me to accept that 'God' is the correct answer to the multitude of questions we have about the cosmos, about biology, about Man. The fact the we don't (yet!) know who made the God Particle (or any other thing) doesn't mean that God made it. Such an answer is as uncritical as saying "some guy in Poland." I may then challenge you to prove that he didn't, rather than assume the burden of proof upon myself for a contention I made.
So, did God make the Higgs Boson?
One may choose to believe that he did. That is matter of faith. In the absence of empirical evidence, another may say that there is no proof that he did or, indeed, that there is no proof that he exists to have done so, so he probably didn't. That is a matter of critical and scientific thought. But you cannot ask one to disprove that he made that goddamn boson (or that he exists).
If that were a valid argument, then all the gods worshipped by humanity across the ages - from Horus through Quetzalcoatl, Zeus, Thor, Amaterasu, Allah and Vishnu to Yahweh - and all those that may be worshipped in future, do and will exist. None of them can be disproved. In which case I must ask myself, which of these thousands is the True God?
I said earlier that I don't want to believe, I want to know. If God exists, I want to know, not merely believe.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

As to rather believing than having to face the consequences, my take is this: if God exists and is omniscient, He will understand my beliefs and reasoning. Indeed, unless the Scriptures are untrue, He already does, He always has and is in fact individually and solely responsible for the nature of my understanding and reasoning. My thoughts (as my very existence) are His doing; and if God is omnibenevolent, he cannot possibly punish me for His own deeds.
There. I'm going to Heaven. I choose, therefore, not to live in fear.
Finally, a 2,300-year-old quote:
Is God willing to prevent evil but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?

- Epicurus.

@mekatiliti, @ole nkarei - though you may be of conflicting views on this issue, I respect your right to foster and express them

@rwigi - with respect, that is not how cases are rested, heh heh!

Looks like there's been intellectual fireworks going here lately! I usually feel that this particular aspect and a few others make this board special.bom

Now, since I have had the discipline to read and absorb the eloquent preceding arguments, I agree that depending on your perspective on life, you are wont to lean towards one or other conclusion on the creation argument. I say so because of the following:

People sometimes run away from/suppress evidence that does not fit into their perspective of the origins of the world i.e., if the facts do not fit theory, CHANGE THEM! I will give two examples...for a long time, it was taught as the firm incontrovertible truth that the atom is the smallest indivisible particle of an element, which also cannot be created or destroyed...but Marie Curie and partner busted that; and Einstein's theory of relativity effectively demolished it. Now there are thought to be a host of subatomic particles and of course our celebrated Higgs Boson is supposed to provide an answer to the concept of mass, but all particles fit into an extremely elaborate scheme, without second guesses. At the time, people had to BELIEVE that on the other hand, the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy in a system can only increase or at worst remain constant. Ladies and gentlemen, the atom is increasingly looking like a "system"; the molecule a bigger one, the earth a very big one and the solar system a much bigger one. All these systems operate in finely regulated patterns, which enables us to predict certain things fairly accurately. The knowledge of even our immediate surroundings is however, very very far from complete. As a geneticist, I know that DNA edits errors during replication, i.e. resists changes, why should that happen yet entropy (change) is supposed to be incremental? I perceive that nature is conservatively designed..., and the arrangement of every aspect of our universe too orderly for chance alone. I think that the greatest and perhaps ONLY LIMIT to what exists is our state of knowledge. Since we are willing to objectively consider all evidence available, why do we suppress this particular aspect of order and patterns? I aver that there is abundant evidence of intelligent design in nature. I would therefore not exclude the existence of God as the designer!

Mooz
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 08:28

Well, brothers, this matter of God and War soars way above this soldier's head, into the realms of science and philosophy where I cannot swim at all. These thoughts have occupied the Human Intellect since Man was Intelligent - wherefrom and whereto is life? It is possible that Man Created 'God'' in the haze of this Philosophical argument which subsequently Science has struggled to disprove (demand to know and not to feel/believe) for millennial. The Advent of Christianity created the greatest philosophical discourse about God yet known; and alongside the Pauline Schools of Jesus-is-God-Doctrine, many schools of Agnosticism of varying shades sprouted out of the Mission of Christ with some propagating at one end of this spectrum a Doctrine of Two Opposing Equal Gods while anothers at the end of it expressed similar philosophies such as @Epicurus - Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?Then why call him God?. While this Debate was / has never settled, it clarified matters greatly, along the Vein that the Human Need to KNOW is not only inherently Human but also the foundation of Faith and Belief. Me, I can only contextualize this matter from a Soldier's perspective, leaving out these heady and weighty philosophies and scientific positions of the Matter - my need to know that when I deploy into Conflict Theatre, there is a moral purpose that justifies the Sacrifices wrought from both sides of Armed Conflict, amongst the others socio-economic and political manenos. Whether this moral motivation is from Buddah, Shiva, Allah, Jehovah, Jesus, Enkai,Nyasaye is really the only choice a Soldier exercises in this regard - Recruits enter Basic School with all shades of God-belief, not one survives for long after Pass-Out as an Agnostic!! That is not to gainsay that Political Systems have for Millenia used this Morality justification for Military Slaughter to propagate themselves, and today's Judeo-christian Vs. Islamism joust is no different.

Now, would I be as effective without my God-Belief? Not one damn bit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 10:31

MOOZALENDO wrote:...People sometimes run away from/suppress evidence that does not fit into their perspective of the origins of the world i.e., if the facts do not fit theory, CHANGE THEM!

...I think that the greatest and perhaps ONLY LIMIT to what exists is our state of knowledge.

...Since we are willing to objectively consider all evidence available, why do we suppress this particular aspect of order and patterns? I aver that there is abundant evidence of intelligent design in nature. I would therefore not exclude the existence of God as the designer!
Mooz
I reiterate that I respect each person's religious beliefs and entitlement to them, whether or not I agree with their particular point of view.
I reiterate that I cannot disprove the existence of God and therefore cannot discount the possibility of its existence.
This, however, also depends on how exactly we define God. If in the Biblical sense, well, I have a problem with that because I do not see how I can pursue an inferential discourse against such a backdrop. If "God" is synonymous and interchangeable with and indistinct from what is generally understood as "Nature," we have a totally different parley.
That said, a debate on the concept of intelligent design, from my perspective, would be unavailing because it would boil down to the simplistic question of what Intelligence designed the Creator and Who created the Intelligence. Necessarily, a counterintuitive quantum reflection model would come into play and we'd be back to square 1 again. We'd be playing a game of ping-pong.
Science, and the scientist's perception of science, has come a long way since the 19th century and by 100 years ago - in the Age of Curie and Einstein - the idea of an Ultimate Scientific Truth, the concept that "we already know all there is to know," had been totally and thoroughly debunked. As we speak, Darwin and Einstein are being tweaked, modified, prodded and questioned as new evidence comes in.
If it has always been the scientific method to draw a conclusion from the Facts, it has always been the religious method to search for, and often fabricate, facts to support the Conclusion. I am sure we are all aware of the Human censorship that gave the Bible only four Gospels.
Yet I do, indeed, agree with you: the only limit to what exists is our state of knowledge. And our knowledge is based on evidence. What evidence is there of intelligent design? I will accept it if it can be demonstrated.
The scale of the Cosmos is such that we shall never find The Answer whilst humanity exists. Thus, we are confined to choose between the static of intelligent design, or the dynamic of scientific interpretation.
Whichever course we opt to follow is our personal choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  UncleBoni Sat Jul 07 2012, 11:21

Enough with this indoctrination about this 'God particle' thing. Kwani this forum has now turned into a physicists blog. The reason we check out this forum on a daily basis is to acquaint ourselves with the latest in matters military.
UncleBoni
UncleBoni

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 20 Empty About God and Vitruvian

Post  Analyst Sat Jul 07 2012, 11:26

Gentlemen,

My opening remarks with reference to the God and Vitruvian is an Einsteins classic saying

Before God we are all equally wise – and equally foolish.
- Albert Einstein

In addition to the religion context poked by Vitruvian in the context, i will revoke it and warn that

God has no religion. (- Mahatma Gandhi)

Vitruvian's mind, words, and believes are corrupted by too much of philosophy studies. Students of philosophy regardless of their christian upbringing and proper social-cognitive development, will, upon mastering the basics of philosophical theories antagonize the order of nature and belief. (proselytization and radicalization by scholarly dogmas)

Here i blame Vitruvian's subscription to too much theoretical-practical dogma's about believe and manifestation of deeds that disapprove existence of God per-se

Vitruvian....et al; 'I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability. - Oscar Wilde

Vitruvian's non-believer-believer (luke-warm state) is not new to psychologists. In January 2011, there was debate on 'Army's spiritual fitness', in the United States, where key congressional members and the defense ministry sought to push for a rule that required all army enlistee's must believe in God. (This program is still under fire though)

Vitruvian is what the military psychology experts describe as “Foxhole Atheists” a psychological problem that gradually manifests if both 'PHILOSOPHY, and WAR,' have manifested in the cohorts life. (events witnessed in war and the non-believer aspect of this cohorts mind are digested with pragmatism ingested in a reactive form; then this re-activeness forms a mindset that refutes existence of God, since if God existed and had love for mankind as religiously perceived, would not allow such atrocious events as witnessed by the cohort to happen).

Post-war depression and traumatic events, analysis of war events, and a strong bias to the philosophical theories of atheism and reinforced truths about religion as a respite for lack and poverty, radicalize and reinforce the believe that God is a coincidence....unfortunately, Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.
- Albert Einstein

Vitruvian is only providing insight about his (psychologically inspired disbelief in God.... His mindset from his encounters, (either physical, academically, or inspired in a sectarian environmental/factor) is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions due to lack of possessing the level of skill required to confront the psychological challenge/trauma.

In conclusion (a psychologists summary note)...Vitruvian's atheist-believer state is a state of apathy. The etymology of apathy sheds light on both theological indifference in both military/police and the civilian's inability to control their disbelief in God and events that describe his lack of control on atrocities and situations that traumatize such as accidents, painful deaths, loss of loved ones, war etc.).

End Notes

Vitruvian's postulations on atheism is a state of indifference towards events and things which lie outside his control.
His philosophy, is that all things are exterior, and that everyone (the human being) is only responsible for his representations and judgments.

Vitruvian, dear brother;

When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time.

There are no accidents. God’s just trying to remain anonymous.

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:00

githinjibn wrote:Enough with this indoctrination about this 'God particle' thing. Kwani this forum has now turned into a physicists blog. The reason we check out this forum on a daily basis is to acquaint ourselves with the latest in matters military.

My apologies, @githnjibn. Yeah, it kinda ran away with us, I say! But one last dig...

Been in quite unhealthy number of some hairy scraps where legally I was not supposed to be, and I don't imagine I got back home because of personal ingenuity and effort! So, beyond these ethereal philosophical and physicists dissections, I can attest that a Soldier who lacks belief in God does not exists, has never existed, may never. In varied nuances, a fighting Soldier stares at the ''Devil'' and his human frailty every day, and hears ''God's'' whispered reassurances frequently and daily. An Anonymous Deity?

Nary a word more from me, I promise!! afro

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:13

Gentlemen, @Vitruvian, @Spartan, @Mekatilili, @Mogen @Mooz @githinjibn, @Kepler-Euler, hello.
This is healthy and as human beings who believe there is only One Supreme and Supernatural Being with whom all things came to existence should admire a character where one does not hide behind their sanctity. My honest truth; I believe our faith should be implicit in action.
@Vitruvian
On the matter of a lunatic hoodlum getting on a bus and spraying all on board with a machine gun is not and action attributed to faith but a deep engulfment in a subverted lunacy of religious-rites. And, you can clash with religious, skeptics, and lunatics all year round without coming to any conclusion. Faith in God if interjected with personal choices or characterized by an unhealthy dose of introspection would lose its meaning. Suppositions have been created that are meant to express Faith and Religion to go hand in hand. These two incoherently conflict with one another.

Scientists are scrupled up these days in theory. Pioneers like Peter Higgs and some of these scientist's predictions has failed to unravel mysteries relating to cosmic science/particle physics. Simply you are not an atheist @vitruvian and I think you do not need any heavy lashing coming your way. And from you was just an expression of how one would learn to answer some advancing challenges using some individual retrospect. Eeih bana!! @ Analyst pole pole. sunny Heh you remind me of my schooling years of one visible "my patrolling headmaster" always quiet but stern. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Here, if you were to play the role of a doctor offering advice, you would not refer me to a medical almanac? All I can see here is vitruvian trying to strike middleground between faith and retrospect.

@ON,
Most men during the Advent of Christianity had a deep conviction about the presence of an infinite and Most Supreme. Some took it on the basis of superstition like the Greek and their thirteen gods maneno and old Rome (before Constantine) took it on a multiplicity of gods(Conviction notwithstanding based on the same multiplicity). Religious lunatics/skeptics were compelled to create philosophical discourse with Pauline's school of thought on how to express God. The discourse became so serious at the time until it would impel those considered heretics had to have their throats slit. Hehehe--- cheers cheers cheers cheers This maneno was kind of hot during those times. ( If we contextualize this to a soldiers perspective) My view is that there is no problem when an individual would learn to trust in his acquired retrospection and also introspection in some occasions. Isn't this what instinct and wisdom is all about anyway? scratch Some events would require that @Vitruvian no doubt about that.

Last edited by Efrommers on Sat Jul 07 2012, 13:13; edited 2 times in total
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:48

Order in the ranks Gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!
Revert back to armed Communiqués or step over to the

“HEADLINE POLITICS & CURRENT AFFAIRS” page.

Don,t turn this web into a kikomba market.

Applause @ githinjibn

Efrommers wrote:

@githinjibn,
I would suggest you swim with the tide not against the tide lol!

@Efrommers refresh your memory , military discusion is the tide of this page so lets keep that discussion.
Mad
A.S.P
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Sat Jul 07 2012, 13:06

Flying Crane wrote:Order in the ranks Gentlemen !!!!!!!!!!!!
Revert back to armed Communiqués or step over to the

“HEADLINE POLITICS & CURRENT AFFAIRS” page.

Don,t turn this web into a kikomba market.

Applause @ githinjibn

Efrommers wrote:

@githinjibn,
I would suggest you swim with the tide not against the tide lol!

@Efrommers refresh your memory , military discusion is the tide of this page so lets keep that discussion.
Mad
A.S.P

@Crane hehehe why all this whiping from you men! was just trying to help a brother out. Although will not utter any other word. Back to armed Communiqués Very Happy
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Sat Jul 07 2012, 13:18

Wanna change the topic "Kenya Defence Forces(KDF)" to :Existence of God/Who created the Bosom particles"...or what?

The picture of this forum in the society pages the next morning.A duplicate of 'Islam vs Christians' in the local community is also emmanating in this forum. I hav seen this scenes everyday, everybody clinching in...Lets stick to the topic, I beg O.

Back to heathy debate.study

Cycoh 'DUDUS' wrote:
ole Nkarei wrote:The effective strategy to degrade the AS is, simply put, to cut it off from the Civilian population by (i) physical,(ii) ideological and (iii) psychological separation. Physical – drive AS away from Civilian population and localize this Population in defendable and Administratively viable Centres; Ideological – destroy the ideological basis for the attraction to the AS’s Jihad against invading Christian Kaffir (co-opt local Militia in Forward Units and prominently manifest the ‘’Islamic /Kenya- Somali face’’ of KDF forces in Theatre); Psychological – ‘’heart and mind’’ campaign through provision of rudimentary social services, law and order, demonize the AS (!!)etc.

Too much catastrophic ON.I beg to differ with you on this.

Honestly if we use this "US-Taliban" methodology to get rid of Al Shabaab, we might find ourselves in a very big mess!!...Just like the US (Victims of suicide bombers).

ISOLATING someone who is critically n illusionally, salivating for some seven virgins, located in....God knows where, isn't the best way to deal with such lunatics. But I know it can be done besides isolation, coz where there is a will there is a way.

KDF'S ability to strike AL-Shabaab's spinal cord is beyond compromise.Kenya has the ability to fund a decade-long war to make sure that its primary objectives(creating Azania) becomes a reality.

A hinch of what's cooking in the MIC theater: Within the next two weeks, an Al-shabaab top ranking commander will be eliminated-Most likely, the vice commander-currently in Yemen-closely being monitored.Just that.

And to the daubting Thomases in this forum abt KDF'S ability to carry out such an amphibious takedown, Hav a glimpse of this report posted last year; KDF'S- 30th n 40th training Doctrines.

www.shout-africa.com/news/kenya-elite-kenyan-special-forces-revealed/
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 20 Empty Siera Leone and KDF in the Hostile Sector

Post  Analyst Sat Jul 07 2012, 13:49

Sierra-Leone's soldiers profile
The Army is modeled on the British Army and came into existence after independence in 1961.
Sierra Leone has very limited modern weaponry.
The country has a wide variety of used second-hand foreign imported arms.

How will KDF manage to work along this regiment?

The British model army fits in the picture, but the guerrilla-hardy Sierra-Leonean's might be poor in urban theater war and the counter-insurgency operations (clan-based problems, peace-building, long-term strategies..as employed by KDF).

What is your take Gentlemen

@Effrommer's ...!!Thumbs up.

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Sat Jul 07 2012, 14:02

@ Efrommers and Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Carry on gentlemen. its fellows like me and you in mature and respective conversation that make this forum stand out in the crowd.
Salute.
Applause at Cycoh 'DUDUS' lets resume nomal discussion.

@Al Bashir a very beauty dress and head scarf that you are wearing. https://eastafrican.forumotion.com/u51
word of caution.
When you go to the public toilets make sure you enter the door with the words GENT rather then following the sign and symbols.
I am saying so because I read in the New York Times a Saudi official belonging to the Saudi Unite Nation entourage accidentally went to the ladies toilet because he thought the sign on the door (similar to this one http://www.clker.com/clipart-6437.html) represented his dress code. Very Happy

@Risasi why A.W.A.L?? lots of blog question pending your answers.
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Sat Jul 07 2012, 14:15

Ladies & Gentlemen
This has been an interesting discussion. Never thought it would go this far when I posted that newspaper article + photo. Over all, it is a healthy discussion and should be encouraged.

I have two stories to share:
1. A Christian friend & his wife were traveling from Sydney to Los Angeles on an American Airlines' Boeing 747. 6hrs into their 15hr-flight the crew started playing the movie 'You Devil' where the late actor/comedian George Burns plays the dual roles of God and the Devil and offered my friends headphones to enjoy the movie. My friends considered it distasteful and declined. Just about then the aircraft hit severe turbulence and the frightening looks on people's faces was telling. Those who had just been enjoying the movie pulled off the headphones and hang tightly onto their seats. My friend's wife hang onto his arm and the husband hang onto the seat. The turbulence was so severe the passengers feared a crash and everyone on that plane said a prayer. Indeed, there are no atheists in such perilous situations.

2. Blaise Pascal's wager/gambit [@Vitruvian thanks for bringing it up]. The French-mathematician's attempt to address the question of God's existence is spectacular.

He concluded: The assumption (Wager) that God exists superdominates a wager against the existence of God: The worst outcome associated with wagering for God (status quo) is at least as good as the best outcome associated with wagering against God (status quo); and if God exists, the result of wagering for God is strictly better that the result of wagering against God.. that is: if I wager for God, and God does not exist, then I really do lose something. but if I wager against God, and it turns out God indeed does exist, then I lose everything. Pascal draws the conclusion at this point that rationality requires you to wager for God.

'Matter can neither be created nor destroyed' - is an interesting one. However, I do know that it takes much more faith to believe in macro-evolution than in creation. Indeed, as a health professional, I have never ceased to marvel at the makeup of the human body. In its anatomy and physiological function it is way too complex and organised to have just happened by chance. The brain cells, for instance, pack an amazing punch. You could have numerous computers over a large area to even come close to approximating what a 1kg of a child's brain can accomplish. Eish, intelligent design makes more sense to me.

Last edited by mogen on Sat Jul 07 2012, 14:51; edited 2 times in total
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 14:34

This one was never going to be simple. I suggested on pg. 19 that this is NOT the right forum for such a debate but the topic seems to have acquired a life of its own.
Analyst, thank you very much for the psychoanalysis, but as you vey well know, I have never had much regard for any of your analyses; neither your SIN copy-paste geopolitical variety nor now this new-found psychological flavour.
We have had a rather fruitful debate on the nature of God, religion, spirituality, science, the Cosmos, et al. It has been a healthy (and respectful) exchange, informative and, I must say, I have taken away much from it. It is sad, therefore, to see a regular (albeit totally unoriginal) contributor to this forum take such a pitiful and bigoted stance, inching us that much closer to the gutter forums we have so consciously chosen to avoid.
It is so quintessentially sub-average: when you have no argument, get personal.
You have chosen to enter a debate you are woefully unequipped to handle so I suggest you stick to copy-pasting from SIN. You have neither the skill not the background to do a Torquemada and it's probably best to leave the Inquisition to those who will do religion least harm. In the mean time, to satisfy your own curiosity, you may continue googling for "quote + god." You may also do us a favour and quote the original authors so that we may understand your plagiarised facsimiles within their original context.

Incidentally, for reasons I can only speculate about, you forgot to copy-paste the following quotes:

Albert Einstein, actually speaking about God (and not the duality of human nature):
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modelled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbour such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."
"The word god is for me nothing but an expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless still pretty childish. To me, the Jewish religion, like all others, is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

Oscar Wilde, an outspoken atheist (despite his conditional death-bed baptism) and unashamed homosexual:
"People fashion their God after their own understanding. They make their God first and worship him afterwards."
"When I think of all the harm the Bible has done, I despair of ever writing anything equal to it."
"Truth in matters of religion is simply the opinion that has survived."

Mahatma Ghandi, a truly spiritual man:
"My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him."
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

End Note

I am one of billions of like-minded people. Personal attacks may vent your intellectual frustration but will do nothing to change the equation. I am willing to entertain your delusions, Analyst. Just put some meat on the bone.

Analyst wrote:Gentlemen,

My opening remarks with reference to the God and Vitruvian is an Einsteins classic saying

Before God we are all equally wise – and equally foolish.
- Albert Einstein

In addition to the religion context poked by Vitruvian in the context, i will revoke it and warn that

God has no religion. (- Mahatma Gandhi)

Vitruvian's mind, words, and believes are corrupted by too much of philosophy studies. Students of philosophy regardless of their christian upbringing and proper social-cognitive development, will, upon mastering the basics of philosophical theories antagonize the order of nature and belief. (proselytization and radicalization by scholarly dogmas)

Here i blame Vitruvian's subscription to too much theoretical-practical dogma's about believe and manifestation of deeds that disapprove existence of God per-se

Vitruvian....et al; 'I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability. - Oscar Wilde

Vitruvian's non-believer-believer (luke-warm state) is not new to psychologists. In January 2011, there was debate on 'Army's spiritual fitness', in the United States, where key congressional members and the defense ministry sought to push for a rule that required all army enlistee's must believe in God. (This program is still under fire though)

Vitruvian is what the military psychology experts describe as “Foxhole Atheists” a psychological problem that gradually manifests if both 'PHILOSOPHY, and WAR,' have manifested in the cohorts life. (events witnessed in war and the non-believer aspect of this cohorts mind are digested with pragmatism ingested in a reactive form; then this re-activeness forms a mindset that refutes existence of God, since if God existed and had love for mankind as religiously perceived, would not allow such atrocious events as witnessed by the cohort to happen).

Post-war depression and traumatic events, analysis of war events, and a strong bias to the philosophical theories of atheism and reinforced truths about religion as a respite for lack and poverty, radicalize and reinforce the believe that God is a coincidence....unfortunately, Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.
- Albert Einstein

Vitruvian is only providing insight about his (psychologically inspired disbelief in God.... His mindset from his encounters, (either physical, academically, or inspired in a sectarian environmental/factor) is a state of indifference, or the suppression of emotions due to lack of possessing the level of skill required to confront the psychological challenge/trauma.

In conclusion (a psychologists summary note)...Vitruvian's atheist-believer state is a state of apathy. The etymology of apathy sheds light on both theological indifference in both military/police and the civilian's inability to control their disbelief in God and events that describe his lack of control on atrocities and situations that traumatize such as accidents, painful deaths, loss of loved ones, war etc.).

End Notes

Vitruvian's postulations on atheism is a state of indifference towards events and things which lie outside his control.
His philosophy, is that all things are exterior, and that everyone (the human being) is only responsible for his representations and judgments.

Vitruvian, dear brother;

When a man takes one step toward God, God takes more steps toward that man than there are sands in the worlds of time.

There are no accidents. God’s just trying to remain anonymous.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 15:09

Vitruvian wrote:
Albert Einstein, actually speaking about God (and not the duality of human nature):
"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modelled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbour such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."
"The word god is for me nothing but an expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honourable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless still pretty childish. To me, the Jewish religion, like all others, is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions."

And yet.....

''My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind [/color]''

And yet also..

..''Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble
.''

Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Sat Jul 07 2012, 15:52

I can see religious matters bore quite a few members here, one of the reasons I was reluctant to wade into those murky waters. From a purely strategic point of view, religion has a lot to do with the kind of security challenges E.A is witnessing now, ignore it at your own peril.

Mogen's picture below is more significant than most people would notice, I don't know what the AMISOM Press Office thinks but it would make very good press in the eyes of ordinary Somalis. Al Shabaab has fed them lies that 'infidels' are fighting Islam and this would give us a mile against that argument.
Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 20 Kdf_so10

I enjoyed the intellectual discourse, didn't know we have amongst us some real nerds!
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 15:59

mogen wrote:... Blaise Pascal's wager/gambit [@Vitruvian thanks for bringing it up]. The French-mathematician's attempt to address the question of God's existence is spectacular.
He concluded: The assumption (Wager) that God exists superdominates a wager against the existence of God: The worst outcome associated with wagering for God (status quo) is at least as good as the best outcome associated with wagering against God (status quo); and if God exists, the result of wagering for God is strictly better that the result of wagering against God.. that is: if I wager for God, and God does not exist, then I really do lose something. but if I wager against God, and it turns out God indeed does exist, then I lose everything. Pascal draws the conclusion at this point that rationality requires you to wager for God.
Glad you invoked Pascal's Gambit. Yeah, looks like a no-brainer, doesn't it, but it bears a few logical fallacies:

It is a false dichotomy. Pascal, a Catholic philosopher, hypothesises a situation involving two opposing beliefs, implied to be the only two such options (believe and go to Heaven, don't and go to Hell). They are not necessarily the only two that are possible. Since there are many religions and many conceptions of God (inconsistent revelation), any of these religions could reason in this way. To be safe, according to this logic, I would therefore have to believe in all the gods/religions equally, but since most religions are mutually exclusive, I cannot do so without being condemned to Hell by the majority. Catch 22. Thus, statistically, I am probably going to Hell in any case. Also, there may be an alternative place to Heaven and Hell, or maybe even none at all. The Gambit only becomes logical if you already believe in the Christian God anyway, in which case it is wasted on you.

With regard to Christianity, the assumption is wrong in that belief in God, in and of itself, is not sufficient to ensure entry into heaven. Fallen angels also believe in God but are condemned.

Another fallacy is the assumption that one can choose to believe. You cannot choose. You either believe or not, for reasons known to yourself. The implication is that God would be naive enough to accept someone into Heaven for believing in him simply to avoid going to Hell, rather than for positive reasons. This would be an inauthentic belief and a very dangerous gamble against an omniscient and vengeful God.
'Matter can neither be created nor destroyed' - is an interesting one. I know that it takes much more faith to believe in macro-evolution than in creation. As a health professional, I have never ceased to marvel at the makeup of the human body. In its anatomy, physiology and all it is way too organised to have just happened by chance. The brain cells, for instance, pack an amazing punch. You could have numerous computers over a large area to even come close to approximating what a 1kg brain of a child can accomplish. Eish, intelligent design makes more sense to me.
This, @mogen, is an argument from incredulity, a variant of argumentum ad ignorantiam:
"I cannot imagine how what you say could possibly be true, therefore it must be false."
"I cannot imagine how what I believe could possibly be false, therefore it must be true."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 16:07

Explicit reference to God:
Vitruvian wrote:

General reference to spirituality:
ole Nkarei wrote:
And yet.....

''My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind''

And yet also..

..''Every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe-a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble
.''

Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 16:22

Ladies and Gentlemen,
though I have enjoyed it immensely, I suggest we put a close to this theological debate. As some have pointed out, we are indeed deviating from the general topic of this forum. And for many, it is a sensitive issue.
I am not here to proselytise. As long as we are comfortable with our personal beliefs, let us continue to foster and nurture them. And respect the beliefs of others.
That has always been my philosophy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabrizio Sat Jul 07 2012, 17:17

For me it is really simple. I don't generally expect grown ups to have an imaginary friend.
Vitruvian wrote:
MOOZALENDO wrote:...People sometimes run away from/suppress evidence that does not fit into their perspective of the origins of the world i.e., if the facts do not fit theory, CHANGE THEM!

...I think that the greatest and perhaps ONLY LIMIT to what exists is our state of knowledge.

...Since we are willing to objectively consider all evidence available, why do we suppress this particular aspect of order and patterns? I aver that there is abundant evidence of intelligent design in nature. I would therefore not exclude the existence of God as the designer!
Mooz
I reiterate that I respect each person's religious beliefs and entitlement to them, whether or not I agree with their particular point of view.
I reiterate that I cannot disprove the existence of God and therefore cannot discount the possibility of its existence.
This, however, also depends on how exactly we define God. If in the Biblical sense, well, I have a problem with that because I do not see how I can pursue an inferential discourse against such a backdrop. If "God" is synonymous and interchangeable with and indistinct from what is generally understood as "Nature," we have a totally different parley.
That said, a debate on the concept of intelligent design, from my perspective, would be unavailing because it would boil down to the simplistic question of what Intelligence designed the Creator and Who created the Intelligence. Necessarily, a counterintuitive quantum reflection model would come into play and we'd be back to square 1 again. We'd be playing a game of ping-pong.
Science, and the scientist's perception of science, has come a long way since the 19th century and by 100 years ago - in the Age of Curie and Einstein - the idea of an Ultimate Scientific Truth, the concept that "we already know all there is to know," had been totally and thoroughly debunked. As we speak, Darwin and Einstein are being tweaked, modified, prodded and questioned as new evidence comes in.
If it has always been the scientific method to draw a conclusion from the Facts, it has always been the religious method to search for, and often fabricate, facts to support the Conclusion. I am sure we are all aware of the Human censorship that gave the Bible only four Gospels.
Yet I do, indeed, agree with you: the only limit to what exists is our state of knowledge. And our knowledge is based on evidence. What evidence is there of intelligent design? I will accept it if it can be demonstrated.
The scale of the Cosmos is such that we shall never find The Answer whilst humanity exists. Thus, we are confined to choose between the static of intelligent design, or the dynamic of scientific interpretation.
Whichever course we opt to follow is our personal choice.

Fabrizio

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 20 Empty KDF Rehatted - formally and finally!!

Post  Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 17:50

Tis little wonder Human Beings have so many ''true Gods''! Eiiish!!

Anyway, back to baser things. No comments yet on this ''rehatting'' manenos, eh?

All Assets now in place for Theatre-Closure, including Mitigation against the espected dispersal of Terror-cells. Whatever it does look like through the prisms of uninformed populations, East Africa has done pretty good dealing with this Terrorism and its dynamics. Lesson learnt very fast, leap-frog-ing growth. If only we can domestic the new Zoomaliya Administration without too much drama!![
Code:
[img][/img]

Last edited by ole Nkarei on Sat Jul 07 2012, 21:50; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Sat Jul 07 2012, 19:24

I would generally tip Sierra Leone any time for combative guerrilla
action but not FIBUA. KDF’s visibly
improved current COIN-ops at the theater and weapon’s haul handling is a plus
from the pedestrian error dispatched while on a disarmament mission at
Makeni against RUF. There is an
impending KDF’s Spec–ops eventual Chaisimayu
catch pants down. The Sierra Leonean’s
strategy seems similar to British’s
NATO led KOSOVO combative mission.
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next