THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

+37
Gallahad
nyukilized
kimiti
mJESHI mMOJA
tempest
livefire
Interloper
MWAURA
georiise
Analyst
Flying Crane
The Blue
Fabrizio
Balozi
mchoraji
MasterChief
proud kenyan
edmuiru
Kobooz
mambotupu
countersniper
cylon
Kepler-Euler
aggressor one
mbs
HokumA
Sierra Kilo
MOOZALENDO
Olekoima
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
mwepesi
Spartan
Al Bashir
mogen
Risasi
Uzi
jasiri
41 posters

Page 15 of 24 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next

Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Empty Ole and his boys were fast asleep

Post  MasterChief Tue Jun 11 2013, 07:54

During the Kenyan election period. They didn't foresee johnny landing thousands of his boys in Kenya to train in such a vital Kenyan election period Embarassed

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Empty Re: REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

Post  mchoraji Tue Jun 11 2013, 08:32

MasterChief wrote:During the Kenyan election period. They didn't foresee johnny landing thousands of his boys in Kenya to train in such a vital Kenyan election period Embarassed

Later, when Jubilee raised the issue in that evening press conference at Catholic University, the Brits said the training program had been planned way back & had nothing to do with the planned polls.Do you think Britoh would try to pull the kind of stunts Francois pulls in it's former colonies?
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Tue Jun 11 2013, 12:11

Spartan wrote:
Will the ice between Kigali and Dar impact the EAC as well as make the TPDF look at Rwanda and its forces in a negative light? Hope the bigger picture prevails.
Well Kikwete just loves being the standout! First you go on a national anti-Kenya campaign, then you go on an anti-Uganda campaign, then go against the EALA and finally poke a finger into Rwanda's underside. What is this man Kiwete playing at?
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 11 2013, 16:41

MasterChief wrote:During the Kenyan election period. They didn't foresee johnny landing thousands of his boys in Kenya to train in such a vital Kenyan election period Embarassed

Wee Master-Chief. Waacha bana! You know as well as I and every man in Uniform knows damn too well that when the Brits purported to compress their usual three annual training Circles into one in March this year, the CDF told them and our former C-In-C, without equivocation, a fecking loud and emphatic French-NON!! Obviously Johnny was trying to position themselves in kenya to do a Frenchy during elections, and there are credible preps that were in place to give value to this view - repositioning of Military Sateliites over the Horn, argumentation of their Military and Inteligence Corps in the High Commission, movements in and out of Somalia, a subtle repositioning of Naval Assets off Somalia and Kenya Continental Shelf, NGOs, Civil Society manoeuvres, the silly utterances y their High Commissioner and other cheeky EU Diplomats, Johnny Carson's tactless foot-in-the-mouth faux pax, etc. Johnny brings around roughly I Divioon in Kenya each year in three circles, with a skeleton HQ Company, each year.

Hawesimake!

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Tue Jun 11 2013, 17:51

Risasi wrote:In my opinion; The chance of a show down between Egypt and Ethiopia very likely ,stands at 80%. I feel so because
1. Egypt will use the issue consolidate the country , divert attention from internal scramble.
2. The Muslim brotherhood administration wouldn’t want to look weak.
3. Egypt always prepared for that day and Sudan was to be it launch pad. With partition of Sudan by EAC, Sudan is seething for a pay back
4. Egypt maintains jungle warfare exercises yet it is a desert country.

My 2 cent

Yes, but very unlikely in my opinion. Chances of success are very remote yet there is a lot that can go wrong. Besides, the war could suck in other players from far and wide which could put paid to Egyptian claims forever. The best for Egypt is diplomacy. This sabre-rattling is nothing to bank on.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Tue Jun 11 2013, 18:07

Risasi wrote:Hahaha you want me to play the devil advocate ok: Very Happy
They will be the obvious sabre rattling, military exercise, amphibious landing, Para jumping, tank manoeuvres and border amassment meant for the citizen and national solidarity. All that behind the scene the silver bullet will come from 2 pairs of F-16 each armed with 2000 pound bomb for leveling the dam construction. By the time the international community condemns the action the harm will have been done. I feel they wouldn’t want a confrontation or occupation.

Oh really? What will prevent Ethiopia from retaliation by bombing the Aswan High Dam? They have SU-27s which have a radius of 3,000 Km well within reach of the dam.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  MasterChief Wed Jun 12 2013, 07:33

mchoraji wrote:

Later, when Jubilee raised the issue in that evening press conference at Catholic University, the Brits said the training program had been planned way back & had nothing to do with the planned polls.Do you think Britoh would try to pull the kind of stunts Francois pulls in it's former colonies?

Johnny's are capable of anything.

If they mess with the big boys like Uncle woo and Russia what is Kenya to them?

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 12 2013, 07:41

MasterChief wrote:
mchoraji wrote:

Johnny's are capable of anything.

If they mess with the big boys like Uncle woo and Russia what is Kenya to them?
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question No No No
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  MasterChief Wed Jun 12 2013, 07:47

ole Nkarei wrote:

Wee Master-Chief. Waacha bana! You know as well as I and every man in Uniform knows damn too well that when the Brits purported to compress their usual three annual training Circles into one in March this year, the CDF told them and our former C-In-C, without equivocation, a fecking loud and emphatic French-NON!! Obviously Johnny was trying to position themselves in kenya to do a Frenchy during elections, and there are credible preps that were in place to give value to this view - repositioning of Military Sateliites over the Horn, argumentation of their Military and Inteligence Corps in the High Commission, movements in and out of Somalia, a subtle repositioning of Naval Assets off Somalia and Kenya Continental Shelf, NGOs, Civil Society manoeuvres, the silly utterances y their High Commissioner and other cheeky EU Diplomats, Johnny Carson's tactless foot-in-the-mouth faux pax, etc. Johnny brings around roughly I Divioon in Kenya each year in three circles, with a skeleton HQ Company, each year.

Hawesimake!

I understand Johnny had close to 6k johnny's "training" in Kenya around that period. Those are enough body's to shake things up to ensure a certain goal. That kind of man power shouldn't have been allowed to land until after the March charade was over.
Johnny had planned this frenchi style. He was hoping for msuko suko like last time. He had already dispatched "johnny ONE" fresh from the arab spring and who is experienced in dealing with troublesome natives.
The body's were on the ground in the name of training. But the only thing that saved the day is that the natives were in no mood of causing trouble like last time. So Johnny couldn't interfere.

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Empty Sudan Oil

Post  MasterChief Wed Jun 12 2013, 07:54

The new Kenya government should expedite this Lapsett Oil pipeline thing

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Sudan-orders-firms-to-shut-pipeline/-/1006/1880052/-/q424vbz/-/index.html

Sudan's oil ministry formally told oil companies on Tuesday to block exports of South Sudanese crude following an order from President Omar al-Bashir.
Oil Minister Awad Ahmad al-Jaz presented the written directive in a meeting with senior executives of the GNPOC joint operating company and Petrodar, the ministry said.
It orders them "to stop the process of transportation and exporting South Sudanese oil within 60 days starting from Sunday, June 9," the ministry said.
On Sunday, Khartoum froze nine security and economic pacts with South Sudan, including a deal to restore oil shipments through the Red Sea export terminal.

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Empty Egypt Vs Ethiopia

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 12 2013, 09:03

I could help posting this cartoon from today's Daily Nation:-
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 CART1206

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Cartoon/-/454986/454986/-/156q6i6z/-/index.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 12 2013, 09:11

MasterChief wrote:The new Kenya government should expedite this Lapsett Oil pipeline thing

http://www.nation.co.ke/business/news/Sudan-orders-firms-to-shut-pipeline/-/1006/1880052/-/q424vbz/-/index.html

Sudan's oil ministry formally told oil companies on Tuesday to block exports of South Sudanese crude following an order from President Omar al-Bashir.
Oil Minister Awad Ahmad al-Jaz presented the written directive in a meeting with senior executives of the GNPOC joint operating company and Petrodar, the ministry said.
It orders them "to stop the process of transportation and exporting South Sudanese oil within 60 days starting from Sunday, June 9," the ministry said.
On Sunday, Khartoum froze nine security and economic pacts with South Sudan, including a deal to restore oil shipments through the Red Sea export terminal.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000085641&story_title=Kenya-government-talking-to-china-over-lamu-port-funding
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  proud kenyan Wed Jun 12 2013, 10:42

MasterChief wrote:
ole Nkarei wrote:

Hawesimake!

I understand Johnny had close to 6k johnny's "training" in Kenya around that period. Those are enough body's to shake things up to ensure a certain goal. That kind of man power shouldn't have been allowed to land until after the March charade was over.
Johnny had planned this frenchi style. He was hoping for msuko suko like last time. He had already dispatched "johnny ONE" fresh from the arab spring and who is experienced in dealing with troublesome natives.
The body's were on the ground in the name of training. But the only thing that saved the day is that the natives were in no mood of causing trouble like last time. So Johnny couldn't interfere.

compare that to the manpower of the KDF and its unknown creeps..plus i think there would have been no hesitation in testing some new stores on the guys as they would be "testing/interfering with the territorial integrity of the country"(i.e. external aggressors) plus i believe that terrain is well known to the host country..would have embarrassed someone somewhere out there and especially to its peers.
seems you are new to TEA, pore through other pages such a mention on the same had come up and discussed at that point in time.

proud kenyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 12 2013, 11:36

proud kenyan wrote:
MasterChief wrote:
ole Nkarei wrote:

Hawesimake!

compare that to the manpower of the KDF and its unknown creeps..plus i think there would have been no hesitation in testing some new stores on the guys as they would be "testing/interfering with the territorial integrity of the country"(i.e. external aggressors) plus i believe that terrain is well known to the host country..would have embarrassed someone somewhere out there and especially to its peers.
seems you are new to TEA, pore through other pages such a mention on the same had come up and discussed at that point in time.

Spot on @ Proud Kenyan, i couldn't agree more. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 14:03

There is a need to be make realistic suppositions, on matters, gentlemen. Honestly, it required Francois to field a complete Mechanized Brigade with a Company of Air Cavalry Helios and full Combat Air Support from Mirage Combat Aircraft, Geo-stationary Spy Satellites, and Sammy's full and extensive Hummit Capacities in Africa and Europe to do the little jaunt in Mali.  Compared with AMISOM activity rate in Somalia, Francois cannot claim any combat exposure in Mali - AlQaida simply slipped across into Chad, Libya and Nigeria as Francois approached.

So what will Johnny do in Kenya with a half-arsed two-and-half fighting battalions and one Head-quarter Company?  Without Air Support, and no armour?  My buddy in the 50th is itching to test his Havocs, and what better than on these pompous pompijays!   Have you no idea Master-Chief what one Air Platform with a 20 Mike-Mike can do on infantry and thin-skinned motorised formations?  Let alone a Havoc with the Full Menu of goodies?  These Johnny Troops are most often akin to "Household' Soldiers, not even equivalent to the chaps you see in Langata! There are of course a few elements of their SAS and SBS but these are few and they are not about to be used in a manner that our 30th and 40th are unlikely not to replicate in equal or better measure. Doubtful that the Old Lion on our Western Border and his buddies in IGAD would have allowed any such nonsense either - in the event that we should have lacked the Political Will to effect a military reaction of suffocating proportion in response.

The best Johnny would have hoped for is to increase our political and social gridlock in the event the election outcome dispute took the same turn as in in 2007. Otherwise, any direct action by Johnny then or now is impossible.  Kenya is not Mali, Congo, Gabon, Madagascar, Niger.

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Wed Jun 12 2013, 21:01

Some things being written here  sound like fiction i have to say.
Kenya going  to head to head with a major western power and prevailing is one of them however much i support the idea that our military is great. johnny are not alshabab.guys....cool it and lets deal with more realistic scenarios.
the main objective  or idea  of any major johnny men being sent in Kenya en mass was to try be prepared for eventual evacuation of any western  interests and people if things come head to head after march 4th elections.
We all know that entire security network had worked well to ensure an alternate view of who the people want to lead  becomes a reality...the planning of which  started and executed from the moment one raila amolo odinga agreed to have his nusu mkate deal at sagana state lodge  before the formation and  re constitution  of the so called coalition government.
 but this is no place for politics. .. just stating the obvious.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 12 2013, 22:38

I see no mention anywhere of "War with a major world power" except in your post, C.sniper. And War is not what a brigade of lightly armed troops in continuous training mode would remotely be said to engage in inside a country different from Mail, Nicer, such-like. It is political destabiluzation, pure and simple.

Evacuation of EU Nationals in Kenya in a rapidly evolving situation of social distress must first establish those mzungu were under clear and present life-threatening danger. How many whites suffered any physical distress in 2008 PEV? And the numbers are just not comparable to the fraction the french swoop into their francophone colonies to evacuate - which is the cause of European unbalanced preoccupation with Kenya. Forget that overly abused bar-room rumour about "evacuation of European Nationals". Just a belated cover story.

Britain ia not a "major world power" - check the listing. Egypt is neck-to-kneck with Britain. Francois is not making War in Mail and Nicer. More like a succession of coordinated "raids". That is what Johnny CANNOT DO in Kenya - ever. If He tried to, unwisely, we cook his backside quick time. And that is not fiction! Sawa? War with Johnny ni mambo mengine - took johnny a year to mobilise for the Falklands.

The Presidential choice was made by people queuing and casting their vote. Fiction are the conspiracy theories about insidious manipulation of the electoral contests by the security sector. Hakuna.

Finally - Every war-gaming is fiction. Every single one. You keep it way and no one dies
And if they do die, coz the fiction turns to reality, then they efficiently die. Ahem!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabrizio Thu Jun 13 2013, 00:51

countersniper wrote:Some things being written here  sound like fiction i have to say.
Kenya going  to head to head with a major western power and prevailing is one of them however much i support the idea that our military is great. johnny are not alshabab.guys....cool it and lets deal with more realistic scenarios.
the main objective  or idea  of any major johnny men being sent in Kenya en mass was to try be prepared for eventual evacuation of any western  interests and people if things come head to head after march 4th elections.
We all know that entire security network had worked well to ensure an alternate view of who the people want to lead  becomes a reality...the planning of which  started and executed from the moment one raila amolo odinga agreed to have his nusu mkate deal at sagana state lodge  before the formation and  re constitution  of the so called coalition government.
Yes sir.  I second the idea of keeping the exchanges here a bit more sane.  It could start with disabusing ourselves of the notion that anyone in the region has time or resources to war-game an engagement with Johnny, however much we may personally despise them.  A great military is also a rational one.  There is only so much the military can do.

Fabrizio

Back to top Go down

Post  MasterChief Thu Jun 13 2013, 05:55

Fabrizio wrote:
countersniper wrote:Some things being written here  sound like fiction i have to say.

Yes sir.  I second the idea of keeping the exchanges here a bit more sane.  It could start with disabusing ourselves of the notion that anyone in the region has time or resources to war-game an engagement with Johnny, however much we may personally despise them.  A great military is also a rational one.  There is only so much the military can do.

Nobody said anything about going to war with Johnny. We are just discussing their maneuvers in the last march charade and why Ole and his boys shouldnt have let them land so many boots until after the whole thing was over.

As for politics. Lets not pretend that we can talk about regional security without invoking politics. We can do it minimally without mentioning names.

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

Post  MasterChief Thu Jun 13 2013, 06:06

proud kenyan wrote:
MasterChief wrote:
ole Nkarei wrote:

Wee Master-Chief.  Waacha bana!  You know as well as I and every man in Uniform knows damn too well that when the Brits purported to compress their usual three annual  training Circles into one in March this year, the CDF told them and our former C-In-C, without equivocation, a fecking loud and emphatic French-NON!!  Obviously Johnny was trying to position themselves in kenya to do a Frenchy during elections, and there are credible preps that were in place to give value to this view - repositioning of Military Sateliites over the Horn, argumentation of their Military and Inteligence Corps in the High Commission, movements in and out of Somalia, a subtle repositioning of Naval Assets off Somalia and Kenya Continental Shelf, NGOs, Civil Society manoeuvres, the silly utterances y their High Commissioner and other cheeky EU Diplomats, Johnny Carson's tactless foot-in-the-mouth faux pax, etc.  Johnny brings around roughly I Divioon in Kenya each year in three circles, with a skeleton HQ Company, each year.

Hawesimake!

compare that to the manpower of the KDF and its unknown creeps..plus i think there would have been no hesitation in testing some new stores on the guys as they would be "testing/interfering with the territorial integrity of the country"(i.e. external aggressors) plus i believe that terrain  is well known to the host country..would have embarrassed someone somewhere out there and especially to its peers.

I am not new per say. I have been unofficial shadow member since this blog was in the other place.

MasterChief

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 07:27

@MasterChief, karubu sana, Kaka. And express your opinion boldly - everybody counts. ProudKenyan meant no offence but just pointed that we have run through this debate much earlier. IMO I agree with you about Johnny's unfriendly posturing specific to the last electoral process. It amuses me to read opinions of educated intelligent Africans that project a blind adherence to western "good intentions", unquestioning of the global state status quo that defii our servitude to the white man. Even to the very uninitiated civilianwatcher of the geopolitics of this region, consumption of the diplomatic+political pronouncements from Britain / EU together with the British Mod surreptitious strategy to compress all BATUK three annual training circles into ONE circle to coincide with the March Elections - that should be cause for concern. That simple.

Ati "no one has time and resources to War-game with Johnny" @Fabrizio? First of all, War gaming is putting up realistic simulations of possible threats and developing feasible reactions to them. It is integral to continuous training. ALL Military Threats are war gamed by any Army worth the name, only limited by resources available. Routinely we war game about Uganda, Ethiopia, GoSS, Amphibian onslaught from SANDF (never about JWTZ), Heck, we war game even against each other, in KDF, simulating one Battle group against another, KDF against other Armed formations inside Kenya (GSU and AP/RDU). Tis what Armies live and do. Now, do you suppose Kenya would allow a near-permanent Armed Military presence of a foreign and imperialistic Force without contingencies to forceful eject that imperialistic force at some point ib the future when that presence is determined undesirable? Whatever the size, composition and TOR of the British Army in Kenya is defined precisely and explicitly so as not to destabilise the balance of Military Power in Kenya and IGAD. Even their tactically indefensible localisation in Nanyuki is not haphazard. Before the British reinforce BUTAK by whatever means, it ceases to exist in any formal structure within hours of the "kamata Mbeberu" order. Fungua macho, kaka.

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Jun 13 2013, 08:32

ole Nkarei wrote:@MasterChief, karubu sana, Kaka. And express your opinion boldly - everybody counts. ProudKenyan meant no offence but just pointed that we have run through this debate much earlier. IMO I agree with you about Johnny's unfriendly posturing specific to the last electoral process. It amuses me to read opinions of educated intelligent Africans that project a blind adherence to western "good intentions", unquestioning of the global state status quo that defii our servitude to the white man. Even to the very uninitiated civilianwatcher of the geopolitics of this region, consumption of the diplomatic+political pronouncements from Britain / EU together with the British Mod surreptitious strategy to compress all BATUK  three annual training circles into ONE circle to coincide with the March Elections - that should be cause for concern. That simple.

Ati "no one has time and resources to War-game with Johnny" @Fabrizio?  First of all, War gaming is putting up realistic  simulations of possible threats and developing feasible reactions to them. It is integral to continuous training. ALL Military Threats are war gamed by any Army worth the name, only limited by resources available. Routinely we war game about Uganda, Ethiopia, GoSS, Amphibian onslaught from SANDF (never about JWTZ), Heck, we war game even against each other, in KDF, simulating one Battle group against another, KDF against other Armed formations inside Kenya (GSU and AP/RDU). Tis what Armies live and do. Now, do you suppose Kenya would allow a near-permanent Armed Military presence of a foreign and imperialistic Force without contingencies to forceful eject that imperialistic force at some point ib the future when that presence is determined undesirable? Whatever the size, composition and TOR of the British Army in Kenya is defined precisely and explicitly so as not to destabilise the balance of Military Power in Kenya and IGAD. Even their tactically indefensible  localisation in Nanyuki is not haphazard. Before the British reinforce BUTAK by whatever means, it ceases to exist in any formal structure within hours of the "kamata Mbeberu" order. Fungua  macho, kaka.

Very Happy:D:D
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Empty Love hate relationship with Johnny and Uncle Sam baffles me!

Post  MOOZALENDO Thu Jun 13 2013, 15:37

Leading posters here need to give me guidance...why do we sound spiteful nay almost hateful when writing here about the West when on the other hand at least some among us are very warm and committed to working together with these guys? Why do we speak ill of Uncle Sam while all the while dropping hints that we may('ve) acquire(d) some advanced hardware? I cannot wrap my head around this mixed attitude. It almost comes across as envy! One thing I know is this...every market has its own madman/woman; in the converse, every market has a majority of good people and the odd madman or woman. By using a coarse brush on all things west, we do a great injustice to many people who are morally upright and who have suffered for standing up to some principles. I saw the same thing with SA and its machines: We referred to them as Boers when talking of DRC and as Zulus when talking of military hardware. I get sickened by this inconsistency, because my brain does not acknowledge it as a reliable modus operandi. I was touched by the testimony of this old Brit who fought in the jungles of the Aberdares in the fifties and is called m-beberu here and a "conchie" in the UK. Judge for yourself!

Pilloried as a 'conchie' after serving in Kenya, I now feel vindicated

• The Guardian, Tuesday 11 June 2013 06.00 AEST

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 Mau-Mau-suspects-Kenya-19-010
Mau Mau suspects in British custody in Nairobi, Kenya, in 1952. Photograph: Bert Hardy/Getty Images
I doubt if all the secrets of the Kikuyu uprising will ever be known. Young soldiers were brainwashed into believing they were fighting in Kenya for our glorious empire. Sixty years ago I was there as a 19-year-old national service officer. I am delighted that the government has given some token compensation for Kenyans who suffered torture (Britain's brutal past exposed, 6 June). I still suffer from memories of the British apartheid system there and numerous instances of arbitrary killing and brutality by British forces, Kenya police and Kenyan African Rifles. In reality we protected land-grabbing British farmers and enriched UK companies.
Young troops were encouraged to shoot any African on sight in certain areas. Prize money was offered by senior officers for every death. The brains of one young black lad I shot with no warning (by orders) landed on my chest. He had no weapons, only a piece of the Bible and part of an English-language primer in his pocket. Before I burned his body near the farm where he had been working, I was ordered to cut off his hands, which I did, and put them in my ammunition pouches, as we'd run out of fingerprinting kits. Of course, he was recorded as "a terrorist". I was told to shoot down unarmed women in the jungle because they were carrying food to the so-called "Mau Mau" – a word they never called themselves.
The whole of this Kenyan tragedy was predictable. Although Kenyan black troops had fought for the British in the second world war, they were rewarded with their land being taken away, no press or trade union freedom, suppression of political movements and slave-like conditions of work, which I witnessed. Yes, some black Kenyans did turn on others for not rising up against such indignities. But many of those who were killed were local chiefs and their supporters, who had co-operated with hugely rich white farmers. However, the revenge killings by the colonial authorities were totally disproportionate – with bombing raids, burning of villages and the forced movement of thousands of families onto poorer land, in the name of "protection". Very few white people were killed by Africans.
But it wasn't just the black people who suffered. I remember telling my company commander that a young soldier whose medical records showed he was only fit for clerical work should not go on a military exercise. I was laughed at. He was forced to go. After three hours' steep climb through jungle, he died in my arms, probably from a heart attack. Because I remonstrated, I was ordered to take a donkey and carry his body, which kept slipping off, for nearly a week to deposit him at HQ on the other side of the Aberdare mountains. His mother was told he was a hero who'd died on active service.
I was sickened by my experiences. I disobeyed orders and was court-martialled and dismissed from the service. I actually thought I was going to be shot. Stripped of my uniform, I was told to make my own way home. Then I wrote to Bessie Braddock, the Labour MP, and was put back in my uniform to fly home in a RAF plane. After campaigning around the country for Kenyan independence, I received new call-up papers, because I had not finished my national service. I then decided to stand trial and become the first British man allowed to be registered as a conscientious objector against colonial warfare. History has proved me right. With these expressions of "regret" by our foreign secretary, I now feel vindicated for being pilloried as a "conchie".
David Larder
Retford, Nottinghamshire
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Thu Jun 13 2013, 20:37

from this link

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/egypts-limited-military-options-stop-ethiopian-dam-project?utm_source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130613&utm_term=FreeReport&utm_content=title&elq=4c32e760395c44adb0d799d4fd437982

Egypt's Limited Military Options to Stop an Ethiopian Dam Project
Analysis
June 10, 2013 |
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 15 169621142
The Blue Nile in Guba, Ethiopia, during its diversion ceremony on May 28. (William Lloyd-George/AFP/Getty Images)
Summary
Ethiopia's initiation of a dam project on the Blue Nile has quickly drawn the ire of Egypt, which is critically dependent on it as a source of much of the country's freshwater needs. As Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said June 9 following Ethiopia's refusal to halt construction of the dam and ahead of his trip to Addis Ababa to discuss the project, Egypt will not give up a "single drop of water from the Nile." "No Nile, no Egypt," he said.
While Egypt has struggled to attract diplomatic intervention on its behalf to thwart Ethiopia's dam construction, tensions have reached the point where Egypt has suggested the use of force to keep the dam from potentially lowering the Nile's water levels downstream to unacceptable levels. There will be serious international pressure to keep the dispute over the dam in the realm of diplomacy, but there are also fairly significant constraints on the physical possibility of an Egyptian military solution.
Analysis
It varies depending on the dimensions of the dam, but dams can be and usually are very tough targets to destroy. In World War II the British proved that it could be done despite considerable difficulties and were the first to seriously develop the art of dam busting. The British used delayed-action bouncing bombs from Lancaster bombers, but fortunately for the Egyptians, advancements in weapons technology would enable them to target the Ethiopian dam in a less risky way. The best way for Egypt to knock out a standing dam is to use retarded and delayed-action bombs deployed from very low altitudes, or even better, delayed-action joint direct attack munitions deployed at medium altitude. The difficulty is that the bomb needs to be deployed at the very base of the dam, underwater, where the concussive effect and pressure wave is greatly amplified. Preferably more than one bomb would be deployed in this manner, and the force would be sufficient to breach the dam. 
To avoid the hassle of hitting a standing dam and creating major flooding downstream in Sudan and even potentially Egypt, Cairo would probably prefer to hit it while it is under construction. But it also has to be careful not to hit the dam too early, because then Ethiopia may not be fully deterred from restarting the project.
Distance is a major obstacle for the Egyptian military option. Ethiopia is simply too far from Egypt, and since Egypt has not invested in any sort of aerial refueling capability, it is beyond the combat radius of all Egyptian aircraft staging from Egyptian airfields. The only consolation for Egypt is that the dam is very close to the Sudanese border. Access to Sudanese airfields would place some of Egypt's air force within range. However, operating from Sudanese territory could be politically complicated and would have international repercussions for Sudan along with Egypt. Sudan's proximity to Ethiopia would also leave it vulnerable to direct military retaliation.
Another option is the insertion of special operations forces into Sudan. From there, the forces could move across the border and either harass the construction of the dam or attempt to sabotage the structure under the guise of militants. This would allow Khartoum to realistically pledge that it had no idea there were "militants" there. The harassment tactic by special operations forces or militants would likely only delay the project, not arrest construction.
Special operations forces teams would face their own series of obstacles in trying to destroy the dam. Dams are critical infrastructure and routinely protected relatively well in most countries by dedicated military units. Ethiopia would be no exception, especially with all the contention already surrounding the project. So Egyptian special operations forces would need luck and skill to gain access to the dam successfully. There is also the problem that a small team of ground forces, no matter how elite, would likely be physically unable to carry enough ordnance to critically damage or destroy the dam.
Egypt does have military options, but distance will heavily constrain its ability to project the full force of its military. Any option Cairo chooses to exercise will be risky at best and will also come with severe international consequences.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Thu Jun 13 2013, 20:49

ole Nkarei wrote:@MasterChief, karubu sana, Kaka. And express your opinion boldly - everybody counts. ProudKenyan meant no offence but just pointed that we have run through this debate much earlier. IMO I agree with you about Johnny's unfriendly posturing specific to the last electoral process. It amuses me to read opinions of educated intelligent Africans that project a blind adherence to western "good intentions", unquestioning of the global state status quo that defii our servitude to the white man. Even to the very uninitiated civilianwatcher of the geopolitics of this region, consumption of the diplomatic+political pronouncements from Britain / EU together with the British Mod surreptitious strategy to compress all BATUK  three annual training circles into ONE circle to coincide with the March Elections - that should be cause for concern. That simple.

Ati "no one has time and resources to War-game with Johnny" @Fabrizio?  First of all, War gaming is putting up realistic  simulations of possible threats and developing feasible reactions to them. It is integral to continuous training. ALL Military Threats are war gamed by any Army worth the name, only limited by resources available. Routinely we war game about Uganda, Ethiopia, GoSS, Amphibian onslaught from SANDF (never about JWTZ), Heck, we war game even against each other, in KDF, simulating one Battle group against another, KDF against other Armed formations inside Kenya (GSU and AP/RDU). Tis what Armies live and do. Now, do you suppose Kenya would allow a near-permanent Armed Military presence of a foreign and imperialistic Force without contingencies to forceful eject that imperialistic force at some point ib the future when that presence is determined undesirable? Whatever the size, composition and TOR of the British Army in Kenya is defined precisely and explicitly so as not to destabilise the balance of Military Power in Kenya and IGAD. Even their tactically indefensible  localisation in Nanyuki is not haphazard. Before the British reinforce BUTAK by whatever means, it ceases to exist in any formal structure within hours of the "kamata Mbeberu" order. Fungua  macho, kaka.
i dont want to laugh out loud but i think anyone imagining that  Kenya is so good and that they can force things  against a determined British army is  being unrealistic
YOU start a war with UK means you risk  a combined NATO onslaught  versus Kenya directly or indirectly.
you place the lives of those British soldiers st risk and see how the British public will react.
those guys commit crimes in Kenya all the time and they are easily let off with no single reaction from the Kenya government.
in terms of equipment and money...what does Kenya have versus UK? I think ole nkarei  is not serious on this matter  and i will let him be.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Thu Jun 13 2013, 21:12

countersniper wrote:from this link

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/egypts-limited-military-options-stop-ethiopian-dam-project?utm_source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20130613&utm_term=FreeReport&utm_content=title&elq=4c32e760395c44adb0d799d4fd437982

I shared on this forum that Egypt would have to draw in Sudan on its side for a successful campaign against the Abyssinians, something the Suds are unwilling to do due to their vulnerabilities. I went on to call Morsi's bluff, positing that the sabre rattling was all aimed at internal consumers.

Our ole Man became the first East African prezzo to add his voice to this en-passe today in his closing remarks at the end of the budget reading. His advice to the Egyptians was that the dam was in Egypt's interest.

That Egypt's water security was dependent on what the inhabitants of the the upstream countries did with their forest cover. By way of explanation, he said that 6,000 MW would provide an alternative to fuel firewood for millions of households and businesses in the region thereby keeping them off the forest cover that the Nile is dependent on for its water.

Anyways, the Egyptians have the ball in their court, either they solve this diplomatically and its a win-win for all, all they go gang-ho in which case the Ethios react with their Samsonite mentality and both of them lose.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 13 2013, 22:28

countersniper wrote:

i think ole nkarei  is not serious on this matter  and i will let him be.

My friend, I ought to fiercely pen rebuttal to that awkward "not serious" accusation, as well as your other opinion about the majesty of the British. But t what purpose anyway? Coz from your reactions, I am uncertain my earlier posts were selectively or entirely read or understood at all. Bottom line is that we all express our opinions, shared or individual. So, I will keep my safety on.
Not serious? Aiseeii!

Back to top Go down

Post  Al Bashir Fri Jun 14 2013, 07:05

There is precedence to this action. On August 16th 1992 a furious president Moi lashed out at Sammy for landing 10 C-130's in Mombasa without so much of a notice in the lead-up to the "humanitarian mission" in Somalia.  Now Johnny is no Sammy but I'm sure whatever they did or had plans to do should the elections have headed south, they had 100% NATO backing.

Last edited by Al Bashir on Fri Jun 14 2013, 08:00; edited 2 times in total
Al Bashir
Al Bashir

Back to top Go down

Post  Uzi Fri Jun 14 2013, 07:06

Spartan wrote:
countersniper wrote:from this link

I shared on this forum that Egypt would have to draw in Sudan on its side for a successful campaign against the Abyssinians, something the Suds are unwilling to do due to their vulnerabilities. I went on to call Morsi's bluff, positing that the sabre rattling was all aimed at internal consumers.

Our ole Man became the first East African prezzo to add his voice to this en-passe today in his closing remarks at the end of the budget reading. His advice to the Egyptians was that the dam was in Egypt's interest.

That Egypt's water security was dependent on what the inhabitants of the the upstream countries did with their forest cover. By way of explanation, he said that 6,000 MW would provide an alternative to fuel firewood for millions of households and businesses in the region thereby keeping them off the forest cover that the Nile is dependent on for its water.

Anyways, the Egyptians have the ball in their court, either they solve this diplomatically and its a win-win for all, all they go gang-ho in which case the Ethios react with their Samsonite mentality and both of them lose.
Sudan aint stupid he knows that if Morsi uses his territory Ethiopia will burn him. Al Bashir has enough problems from ICC to his own country that blames him 4 ceding a big territory with oil to GOSS. On a different matter i wonder what defines one's race. Is it color or religion? Those guys up north look darker than i but they refer to themselves as Arabs!!
Uzi
Uzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 14 2013, 08:16

That is factually incorrect. That Somali US Humanitarian Mission was months in the planning; very complex forward coordination between several UN Agencies, Kenya & Ethiopia, UNSC and Sammy Lead-Agencies were meticulous though harried by the expediency of the moment. It is mere conjecture to infer the meanings you make to this. Not only was there an large advance Planning & coordination elements of US Consular & USARMY in Nairobi, Mombasa and Mogadishu to deal with logistics and intergovermental cordination but the C-130 landings greatly exaggerated.

A cursory study of recent and present NATO Military History is advised.; that indicates an Military/Political edifice gravitating without focus and purpose since it expanded to take in former Warsaw pact members. The Communist Threat that had define NATO and given it purpose and focus long dissipate. Beyond the Umbrella Appellation, NATO doesn't exist as a monolithic Edifice of Olden and has not deployed anyway but off the Somalia Coast as NATO since the end of the Cold War - not in Iraq, Yemen, Bosnia, Afghanistan, Africa. Libya had gone into a winless stalemate before the treacherous murder of Gaddafy was effected.

Nostalgic romanticized reflections of former European Hegemony is all that is left as the new scramble for African / Third world resources take narrow Nationalistic slants in a Europe in decline.

Al Bashir wrote:

There is precedence to this action. On August 16th 1992 a furious president Moi lashed out at Sammy for landing 18 C-130's in Mombasa without so much of a notice in the lead-up to the "humanitarian mission" in Somalia.  Now Johnny is no Sammy but I'm sure whatever they did or had plans to do should the elections have headed south, they had 100% NATO backing.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 24 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19 ... 24  Next