THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Force

+20
Kobooz
one man army
countersniper
Mbaine
vince
Sierra Kilo
areba
georiise
MWAURA
Spartan
Technician
tempest
jasiri
Olekoima
Flying Crane
Balozi
Sisal Makonge
mJESHI mMOJA
Risasi
Admin
24 posters

Page 17 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Force

Post  Olekoima Tue Aug 23 2011, 12:58

Spartan wrote:@ ole Nkarei, if you are a soldier, all you want to know is that provisions are there when you need them. If those provisions are state-of-the-art and instill fear in your real and imagined enemies, the better. Whether the money was termed 'domestic arrears', defence expenditure for that FY, borrowed from the treasury, grant, a loan, no soldier cares. We are not economists (never mind that some of us may have studied it at university).

The purchase of the jets was a one-off expenditure, hopefully. And it's not as if life came to a standstill because of it. All ministries had an increment in their vote allocations. We had to do it at some point, the naysayers notwithstanding. And that point was last year.

Don't even get me started with Kenya's numbers, our defence expenditure is nothing compared to yours. But if a citizen asked you where your accountability is, what would you have to show for it? Do neighbours marauding pastoral tribes from neighbouring countries get chilly backsides at the mention of KDF? What if someone from the famine-prone pastoral areas contended that part of your defence expenditure would rather be put in waters dams for their cattle so that they wouldn't have to cross to Uganda every year. You don't have any wars now or in the near future, do you? Has Kenya really got value for money in all the purchases you've done.

Didn't someone say the proof of the pudding is in the eating? Well, Kenyans may never know, because their equipment is not about to be used anytime soon. At least Ugandans, albeit weary of the cost to say the least, have confidence in the UPDF as shown in annual surveys.

Enough already with the cost of the planes, shall we move on now, gentlemen?

It was my impression that UG would increase on the number of the fighter jets if indeed the intention was to do with a possible Nile water conflict as some general put it. If it is a one off affair ( i hope not ) then they will be awfully inadequate and represents a waste of tax payers money. I' am also not convinced that they were procured for an East African conflict for i foresee none at least in the short term.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 14:11

I am not a uniform and will leave technical answers to others. What rank of officer should command a recruit training school is not my speciality. You may be right, Mzalendo. If a lt. colonel is all it takes, we may very well learn from you. But perhaps the complexities and demands of our training schools as compared to, say, Tz are such that a major general is required.
With our relatively vast resources, we could indeed have a military that would instill awe and terror in the entire region. We could reallocate money currently being used for education, agriculture, infrastructure, etc., and purchase, overnight, all manner of MiGs, Sukhois and the latest in helicopter technology, in quantities that would bring tears to the eyes of the most rugged generals. If Kenya were to spend 25% of her GDP on military purchases, as Ole Nkarei informs us Uganda did (though 750 million can't be 25% of Uganda's GDP), then we could easily afford, say, 250 Su-30's or a similar number of JAS 39 Gripens or F-15Es or 5,000 second-hand upgraded F-5s, at the Jordanian going rate. Make sense to you? It takes money to buy weapons. It takes a strong economy to mint money. Lest we forget, it took a stronger economy to bring down the USSR. Not a stronger army.
This forum will inform you that there is a realignment in Kenya's military doctrine and strategies in response to the changing geopoitical dynamics. It is no secret that Kenya is rearming. The secret is to what extent. That which is visible to the naked eye is alarming. That which is hidden is more so. But if there is something Kenya has achieved that her neighbours will not for several generations to come, because it does take time, it is the level of professionalism of its officer corps and rank and file. Power without control is nothing. Israel is a case in point.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 23 2011, 17:12

Vitruvian wrote:I am not a uniform and will leave technical answers to others. What rank of officer should command a recruit training school is not my speciality. You may be right, Mzalendo. If a lt. colonel is all it takes, we may very well learn from you. But perhaps the complexities and demands of our training schools as compared to, say, Tz are such that a major general is required.

This is a relative consideration, dependant on Doctrine and and derived Strategy - how deep to train, at each level of the command structure; what contigencies for War Mobilisation. It is not a point of disagreement I reckon, but for a healthy exchange of informative debate.

With our relatively vast resources, we could indeed have a military that would instill awe and terror in the entire region. We could reallocate money currently being used for education, agriculture, infrastructure, etc., and purchase, overnight, all manner of MiGs, Sukhois and the latest in helicopter technology, in quantities that would bring tears to the eyes of the most rugged generals. If Kenya were to spend 25% of her GDP on military purchases, as Ole Nkarei informs us Uganda did (though 750 million can't be 25% of Uganda's GDP), then we could easily afford, say, 250 Su-30's or a similar number of JAS 39 Gripens or F-15Es or 5,000 second-hand upgraded F-5s, at the Jordanian going rate. Make sense to you? It takes money to buy weapons. It takes a strong economy to mint money. Lest we forget, it took a stronger economy to bring down the USSR. Not a stronger army.

Pls correct the 25% to be the Defense allocation to Generalised National Budgets. Note that this includes the amount dished out for the Sukhois. National Budget is appro. Usd3.8Billion with about USD921 Million allocated to Defense. Blame my tired eyes, if you want!!
Generally I flow with the gist of your post on this specific matter, Vitruvian.

This forum will inform you that there is a realignment in Kenya's military doctrine and stratategies in response to the changing geopoitical dynamics. It is no secret that Kenya is rearming. The secret is to what extent. That which is visible to the naked eye is alarming. That which is hidden is more so. But if there is something Kenya has achieved that her neighbours will not for several generations to come, because it does take time, it is the level of professionalism of its officer corps and rank and file. Power without control is nothing. Israel is a case in point.

If Msalendo choses to lobe brickbraks across the border, I will just lie down now and surrender. No value in that sort of exchange. Any other sort of engagement I shall be happy to enjoin myself - for instance, dwelve into Kenya's Military Spending, its Structure and Strategic Organisation, Philosophy, Deployment, Equipment. Poke holes into any of these, if you want and lets debate, wee Shee!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Aug 24 2011, 15:32

mzalendo wrote:They is no gauntlet to pick. Not from what I know from the modern Kenay

Ok you want facts here are facts.
you guys lag in military ideas. Mswahili says. Kitu kisicho fanana na mwenyewe huwa nicha kuiba.. not so?

How could you have a full Major General be Incharge of a Recruit training school? Surely where dose that happen in these modern worlds. the school should be under a Lt.Col or Col.

General Doudi Tonje suggested a General in charge of in the Western command and a General in charge of Easter Command. An American style. Such structures are need in large nation and not the nation the size of Kenya. Just because it exist some where it does mean you should have it.

How could you let your fighter jets get redundant and yet you don,t have plans on how you should replace them.

look at the quality of you navy…..man. Surely. KNS shujaa armed with 2 guns only that’s what you navy corps can come out with in a design????? I remember when I was young I think in 1985 I come to Kenya Navy for its anniversary, I come with our combined Tz Forces choir to sing for the occasion and my friend we felt inferior by the standards we met.

After the the Brits with draw from Kenya bro, you guys showed us your true colors. Its like a guy who receive inheritance and doesn’t know what to do with it. He feels confident that the cash is too much to finish. His decisions and directs are betraying him. Your military structures are not up to the modern standards for that economy. Had it been Rwanda or the Goss making such silly amateur structures I would have agreed.

sisi bwana hatuna pesa and we lag back merely because we had embraced communism at one time.so are other surrounding countries, economically. But all in all if we had the same income and expenditure then lo and be hold

And so why should TZ lag behind UG when you are the second biggest economy in the region? Why is 'poor' Uganda surging a head of you military wise?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA Wed Aug 24 2011, 15:43

I've been lurking for quite a while so sorry to go off-topic but some questions and a comment or 2.
Whatever happened to the F-15 EEs? They were supposed to have been delivered by last year.
Is there a replacement planned for the Vickers 3? If am not wrong they're near end of service life at 25 years average. Or was the T-72 a replacement?
As someone else was asking what will replace the buffalo?
Whatever happened to the Spanish frigate? Has the GoK accepted to lose the 4.2 bn kshs? That would have been the beginning of a true blue water navy since unlike our inshore patrol boats its deckspace allowed it to function as a true frigate.
SS has a lot of growing up to do. It would be a major mistake to divert national energy,especially at this early being Uncle Sam's errand boy like cefrtain people in the Great Lakes.
Tanzania overtake Kenya!?? HAHHAAHHAHAAH![i]

MWAURA

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 Empty kenya armed forces

Post  georiise Wed Aug 24 2011, 16:10

@Risasi
is the buffalo being replaced by CASA C-295 transporter?
georiise
georiise

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24 2011, 17:17

Hey Mwaura, great to touch again! You recall that Immunity Act and the dust it kicked up couple of years ago?- we still didn't sign the dang thing! Well, this time it is the Chinaman's preponderant egress in our Security Net - civilian and military – this is an incredible launch-pad for China’s take-over of ‘’Kenyana’ from the Americans/Brits/French’.

Increasing recent talk about the JF-17, though it might turn out to be a counter-feint to Uncle Sam to stop with the arm-twisting. The Deliveries to Saudi and ISAF apparently pushed back, some R & D-phase delays I think, which impacts on the supply-funnel of our birds. Last I heard last week, Congress gave fresh clearance to complete Air-testing of the F-35 (same birds slotted for the ISAF and the Saudis) .

But there is an acceleration of pace with our Modernization of Air Field Infrastructure (MAFI) project on the ‘’primary homes’’ ( LAB definitely, probably Wajir as well!)for these birds (Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) and Doppler VHF Omni-directional Range Systems (DVOR) with the secondary phases of this Country-wide multiple-site turnkey integrated system in due course with the first deliveries. Not sure timeframes.

I suspect the Vickers Mk3’s will simply fall off the shelf – the intended full-compliment of the replacement T-72AVs not reached due to the negative Faina manenos, but I expect this will resume in short order – topping off around 400 Units. Haven’t a clue about the choice of replacement for the Buffalo, but ‘Georiise’ mentions one credible option on the table.

As concerns MV Jasiri, a unified Gava speaking from the same side of the mouth will unlock her delivery. Some chaps are very unforgiving no matter that they strut around with the tag ‘’development partners’’!!

Should we be letting our ‘insides’ out on these blogs? Doggone, feels like my b-lls are dangling naked off a table-top!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24 2011, 17:53

ole Nkarei wrote:
Should we be letting our ‘insides’ out on these blogs? Doggone, feels like my b-lls are dangling naked off a table-top!!

Heh, heh! Just pray there's no general doing the rounds with a golf club.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24 2011, 17:58

Vitruvian wrote:

Heh, heh! Just pray there's no general doing the rounds with a golf club.

Eeeiish, Man!! You got me cringing already! Purge such thoughts, Vitruvian!

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA Wed Aug 24 2011, 18:31

ole Nkarei wrote:Hey Mwaura, great to touch again! You recall that Immunity Act and the dust it kicked up couple of years ago?- we still didn't sign the dang thing! Well, this time it is the Chinaman's preponderant egress in our Security Net - civilian and military – this is an incredible launch-pad for China’s take-over of ‘’Kenyana’ from the Americans/Brits/French’.

Increasing recent talk about the JF-17, though it might turn out to be a counter-feint to Uncle Sam to stop with the arm-twisting. The Deliveries to Saudi and ISAF apparently pushed back, some R & D-phase delays I think, which impacts on the supply-funnel of our birds. Last I heard last week, Congress gave fresh clearance to complete Air-testing of the F-35 (same birds slotted for the ISAF and the Saudis) .

But there is an acceleration of pace with our Modernization of Air Field Infrastructure (MAFI) project on the ‘’primary homes’’ ( LAB definitely, probably Wajir as well!)for these birds (Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) and Doppler VHF Omni-directional Range Systems (DVOR) with the secondary phases of this Country-wide multiple-site turnkey integrated system in due course with the first deliveries. Not sure timeframes.

I suspect the Vickers Mk3’s will simply fall off the shelf – the intended full-compliment of the replacement T-72AVs not reached due to the negative Faina manenos, but I expect this will resume in short order – topping off around 400 Units. Haven’t a clue about the choice of replacement for the Buffalo, but ‘Georiise’ mentions one credible option on the table.

As concerns MV Jasiri, a unified Gava speaking from the same side of the mouth will unlock her delivery. Some chaps are very unforgiving no matter that they strut around with the tag ‘’development partners’’!!

Thanks nkarei! We really need a place like this. Mashada is a std 3 classroom of unruly kids. Are more T-72s going to SS? I've seen it written somewhere that the Vickers 3 is maybe 2 notches qualitatively above the T-72. Is that true? I can't find the link but it wasn't Western bs. But I wonder-why not the Ukrainian Yatagan? A 120mm cannon and up armour puts it on the best level. The Turks almost bought it.
Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 Oplot-assdh19
IMHO the Jasiri saga is a tale of sabotage involving Brit bastardy and local collusion. A fcuking shame!
Btw,there are no secrets in this world anymore-as long as operational security isn't threatened then the particular issue should be discussed.

MWAURA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24 2011, 18:49

[/quote]
Thanks nkarei! We really need a place like this. Mashada is a std 3 classroom of unruly kids.
Dead right about that - but i still go there to balance out the loonies, lest everyone think we are all loonies. What's your moniker on Mashada?

Are more T-72s going to SS? Not directly as before - these long-nosed fellas are crawling all over our backsides waiting for just that sort of thing. The Faina thing threw completely off our refit schedules. GoSS will have to use Masawa.

I've seen it written somewhere that the Vickers 3 is maybe 2 notches qualitatively above the T-72. Is that true? I can't find the link but it wasn't Western bs. You know as I do that the tool must fit the job, and their comparative strengths are not a realistic measure. Me, with a bit of structural upgrade (systems, armour, drive-train) I give the Vickers those 2notches , but we can get two-and-half Russians for one Brit, and without the usual sanctimonious BS! I reckon we keep going Russian even just to express that 12th Dec 1963 did happen!!

But I wonder-why not the Ukrainian Yatagan? A 120mm cannon and up armour puts it on
the best level. The Turks almost bought it.
[mg]http://www.army-guide.com/images/oplot-assdh19.jpg[/img] Too much diversification of fighting equipment not a good thing, no?

IMHO the Jasiri saga is a tale of sabotage involving Brit bastardy and local collusion. A fcuking shame! My feeling exactly, bro!!

Btw,there are no secrets in this world anymore-as long as operational security isn't threatened then the particular issue should be discussed.[/quote]

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA Wed Aug 24 2011, 19:58

I've been looking at a very interesting link which gives inflation adjusted prices for everything from M1A2s, 18mn $ (WOLOLOLOLAYEEEEE) to T-90s 4.2 mn$. New mi-35s run to 16 mn $+. A new Vickers 3 is 8 mn $-wow!
Vickers Mk.3M: $8-9 million
But am not shocked by that:
Type 45 Daring Destroyer: $1.6 billion(!) fully fitted (yes, that’s what the UK is paying. It gets worse – they lack ASW systems)
Interesting reading.
The Ukrainian Yatagan I posted earlier appears cheap for its quality at 4.5 mn $.
Hmmm...can't post link for at least a week.

MWAURA

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Wed Aug 24 2011, 20:08

Mwaura what about the Type 99? costs almost as much as a Merc Limousine and performs nearly as good as most new generation tanks
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Thu Aug 25 2011, 01:31

Imports from Ukrain 2010
(From http://unhq-appspub-01.un.org/UNODA/UN_REGISTER.nsf )
Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 Q8nF0
tempest
tempest

http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Thu Aug 25 2011, 08:47

The AML-90 upgraded new engine and sensor +10yres life span

MD500 upgrade +10yres replacement Mi35M and Mi35M2 (due)
http://www.mycity-military.com/imgs2/2705_323350005_mi35m2hindwf4.jpg

Gazelle SA 342 rep. Zw-9A (4delived)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syPXnOkjfsk

Vickers Mk3 MLU with/replacement ZTZ-99 due to the Mv fiana saga which resulted to T-72AV

Thyssen Henschel UR-416 UNiMOG replacement WZ551

As per risasi
Buffalo replacement: C-130
CASA C-295
CASA CN.235M-200 or and Y8 F400/undeclared

SA-330G/IAR-330L Puma replacement Mi-17-v1 (3 delivered)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAWCcYo_lqU (similar)
and Mi-17-V5 (due)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxCOSp3Nuk (similar)

F-5E – replacement and F-5EM with Jf-17/J-10/ F-15(pending)/MiG35?(pending production 2016) /undeclared

HAWK MK50 with/ replacement Hongdu L-15 Falcon supersonic training aircraft / Advanced Jet Trainer aircraft, light attack aircraft and aggressor squadron
http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/l15.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtnaYd_ZiVI&feature=related
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Fri Aug 26 2011, 18:41

tHIS SITE LOOKS HORRIBLE! Anyway, i was surelly hoping the Air Forcce replaced the buff with the c 130. more payload and greater versatility
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 26 2011, 23:09

@ blog the new skin is up on test lets see where we will settle at. Your comments are highly valued.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://eastafrican.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Sat Aug 27 2011, 18:42

Admin wrote:@ blog the new skin is up on test lets see where we will settle at. Your comments are highly valued.

@ web admin the Golden/black forum skin was great. It’s a true reflection of the crane flag and society. Bring it back pal, don’t let these boys cow you.
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA Sun Aug 28 2011, 12:25

jasiri wrote:Mwaura what about the Type 99? costs almost as much as a Merc Limousine and performs nearly as good as most new generation tanks
Actually,jasiri,the site seems to show while Chinese equipment is cheaper than the Western equivalents it compares with Russian prices. Their type 99 is in the same range with the t-90 at 4.5 mn$. Btw,everyone says good things about it.

MWAURA

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Mon Aug 29 2011, 00:16

MWAURA wrote:
jasiri wrote:Mwaura what about the Type 99? costs almost as much as a Merc Limousine and performs nearly as good as most new generation tanks
Actually,jasiri,the site seems to show while Chinese equipment is cheaper than the Western equivalents it compares with Russian prices. Their type 99 is in the same range with the t-90 at 4.5 mn$. Btw,everyone says good things about it.

The ZTZ-99/type 99G has more options then the T-90

Finally back from Mtongwe. Habari ni kwamba the Navy has been impressively reinforced. The Two Corvettes are back from Spain and a smaller boat from France has joined the family. Watch this space for pictures a long the week.
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Mon Aug 29 2011, 13:48

mJESHI mMOJA wrote:
MWAURA wrote:

The ZTZ-99/type 99G has more options then the T-90

Finally back from Mtongwe. Habari ni kwamba the Navy has been impressively reinforced. The Two Corvettes are back from Spain and a smaller boat from France has joined the family. Watch this space for pictures a long the week.

But the two Corvettes had their missile capabities removed. How does this help? Is it not an outright downgrade?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Mon Aug 29 2011, 14:36

I am not a navy person and understands little however, it does seem, from a firepower view, they were downgraded. ... ... Could be the KN is redefining their role. Very likely their overall effectiveness increased with the refit. I am sure when KNS Jasiri is fully operational, it will more than fill the gap. http://articles.janes.com/articles/Janes-Naval-Construction-and-Retrofit-Markets/Kenya-Kenya.html .
The Kenyan Navy's two Nyayo-class fast attack craft - missile, KNS Nyayo and KNS Umoja, which were undergoing a refit which will see them lose their surface-to-surface missile (SSM) systems and effectively reduce the vessels to a patrolling configuration left Fincantieri's Muggiano shipyard in Italy on 9 July 2011. The ships that were originally to be returned to service in 2010, left the shipyard 15 months later than planned. When the craft arrived in Italy by semi-submersible dock ship, it was clear that the platforms and shipboard systems were in a worse condition than expected. In addition, hitherto unknown quantities of asbestos had to be removed safely. This necessitated an agreement between Fincantieri and the Kenya Ministry of Defence on an extended work package beyond the 12-month refit originally intended. The additional contract was signed in September 2010.The shipbuilder renewed about one-third of the hull structural steelwork, platform systems and furnishings, comprehensively overhauling and upgrading the propulsion, electrical, navigation, communications, ventilation / air-conditioning and sewage systems. "We have completed around 87 tonnes of hull plate replacement and deck renewal [out of a total of 130 tonnes]," said Gian Battista Corbetta, the head of Fincantieri's refitting department. The four Paxman Valenta 18 V diesels (each rated at 2,830 kW), four shaft lines and three Caterpillar Type 3306 generator sets (170 kVa each) were overhauled and the propellers replaced. A new Seastema platform and propulsion automation system was also introduced. Both vessels achieved a maximum speed of 36 kt during re-acceptance
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Mon Aug 29 2011, 18:32

No self respecting naval captain will allow himself to be equipped with a bunch of boats that can only fire mortars. The only logic behind this move by the navy is that they are planning to leave the heavy weapons to a class of better equipped more displacing vessels set to be acquired, that's why they are relegating the older vessels to a coastguard role. IMHO, this makes absolute sense.

Seems Bashir has now let go of Arabia and is now eying EAC? Hehehe willy man indeed. Ole Nkarei, what do you make of this move? does it in any way affect the re-posturing of the KDF?
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Mon Aug 29 2011, 18:43

mJESHI mMOJA wrote:

F-5E – replacement and F-5EM with Jf-17/J-10/ F-15(pending)/MiG35?(pending production 2016) /undeclared

Hold on soldier! Did i correctly read the MiG 35? what would prompt such a drastic shift? IMHO it would be a good move, the F-15 as it is has already been vastly outdone by the SU-30 but going for sukhoi's baby cousin? is it such a wise consideration?
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Mon Aug 29 2011, 19:25

jasiri wrote: The only logic behind this move by the navy is that they are planning to leave the heavy weapons to a class of better equipped more displacing vessels set to be acquired, that's why they are relegating the older vessels to a coastguard role. IMHO, this makes absolute sense.

That is my view too = I agree with your logic. In fact I had searched around to find the weapons fitment for the Jasiri and found nothing - what I fiund said weapons were not part of the original contract and would be negotiated/carried out seperately.
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Tue Aug 30 2011, 06:30

@ KDF Embarassed

I think your boys are in a panic mode and are scrambling for whatever they can get for a replacement of the F-5 vise vie the neighboring Su30MKK. From the script posted. They still no definite dediced fighter to a F-5 replacement.
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Tue Aug 30 2011, 07:16

I never though you guys were kin to notice the changes. The KNS Nyayo and Umoja has had their missile silos and main guns removed. I know by now bloggers are boiling to why this has happened. The truth is that the Boats are approaching their end day. But again why do a Midlife upgrade which concluded to a down grade of the boats? To answer all those questions you need to know the new charter for the Kenya Navy Service in order to understand the whole scenario.
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Tue Aug 30 2011, 07:49

The navy’s new charter is to establish two fleets. An open/deep water fleet and an inshore/coastal guard fleet. The deep water fleet will compose of missile boats while the inshore fleet will consist of gun boats. New boats have to be procuring to manifest this charter. And it has been decide that all existing boats be assigned to inshore duties

1. they are aged and are at the end of their life span

2. they are too light for open water duties

3. it would be wise to procure New and advance boats for an offshore fleets rather than to do so for inshore fleet
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Tue Aug 30 2011, 08:41

The Nyayo class are being relegated to inshore duties, a gun boat. These duties don’t require missile and have be subsequently removed. .although initial consider as open water patrol vessel OPV ,the Nyayo class boats have proved to be underweight for the task i.e. less the 500ton to effectively manage open water sailing. In simple terms the waves will be slightly stronger for them to sail by.

The KNS Jasiri is upgrade from a survey vessel to the first for the open water fleet boat. It consists of a 1050ton displacement craft. The missile system form the Nyayo class will be mounted on it. Two other refurbished crafts +1500ton displacements with ZW-9 capabilities will also be procured.

Inshore fleet will list
1, Nyayo and Umoja

2, Shujaa and shupavu (possible to be used as trainners)

3, Harambee II (ex French navy P690 Rieuse from Réunion) and Madaraka II?? (ex French navy P683 Boudeuse Due from Réunion)

P/S

the umoja class boat in 1986 from England

Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 Umoja_10

Kenya Defence Force - Page 17 24d4z210

the umoja class after its refitting upgrade by the Fincantieri's Muggiano shipyard in Italy on 9 July 2011. the front Main Gun removed, Missile silos and system removed and the Selex NA-25 fire control radar (http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/commandante/commandante5.html) replaced with a navigation radar.

sawa?

mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Tue Aug 30 2011, 09:07

intresting
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content