THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

+37
Gallahad
nyukilized
kimiti
mJESHI mMOJA
tempest
livefire
Interloper
MWAURA
georiise
Analyst
Flying Crane
The Blue
Fabrizio
Balozi
mchoraji
MasterChief
proud kenyan
edmuiru
Kobooz
mambotupu
countersniper
cylon
Kepler-Euler
aggressor one
mbs
HokumA
Sierra Kilo
MOOZALENDO
Olekoima
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
mwepesi
Spartan
Al Bashir
mogen
Risasi
Uzi
jasiri
41 posters

Page 7 of 24 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next

Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty Re: REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS:

Post  Olekoima Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:27

HokumA wrote:Russia is also laying claim to some inlands owned by Japan since 1855 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21364559

What is going on here? Both Russia and China seem to be testing Japanese nerves. Why are Japanese Islands suddenly so juicy to these neighbors?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Feb 07 2013, 22:37

[quote="mogen"]Are we pulling out a batallion because of the $$$$$$$$$$$ maneno?

Kenya set to withdraw Somalia battalion

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Kenya-set-to-withdraw-Somalia-battalion-/-/1056/1687466/-/11ta9v1/-/index.html

[quote="Cycoh 'DUDUS'"]@mogen, without going into detail,
The MOD has its own ways of carrying out activities and I would advice you not to buy the sheer myth of "Al shabaab re-surfacing for some fresh air", just because the UNSC hasn't released the funds. The dire need to keep Al shabaab's head totally buried in the sand remains 'strategically-unchallenged' to date. Believe me, the KDF can't actually loosen the strings, just not yet. For instance, i haven't over-heard ole Nkarei or Risasi expressing themselves in a "mutiny-inspired-tone" of late, due to, lets' say, lack of pay! Those funds are just, kickbacks.

mogen wrote:Methinks this Mali maneno has taken away funding from the AU's unfinished business in Somalia and part of the reason is that the West wanted more control here than was granted by the AU. Not good news at all given that a resurgence of an emboldened al kebab is possible.

This is a bit confusing. Wasn't the stated strength needed 17,000 forces? Pulling a battalion means a reduction in this approved figure. Who will the void? Or has Si era-Leone agreed to double their contribution?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty OLN Force Rotations

Post  Guest Thu Feb 07 2013, 23:29

First of all there are two dimensions to our "Terms of Reference" (to borrow a civilian term) of the Sector II deployment - Peace Enforcement and Peacekeeping. Enforcement necessitated a degree of integration that a mixing of the Senegal and KDF would not generate - too many defining differences between both Militaries. Senegal is deploying an equal number to the KDF rotating out, to engage in Peacekeeping functions in Sector II.

Activities in Sector II, as I have posted before, are shifted largely to SOCOM-S&D/COIN and SOCOM's facilitating KDF elements (Air Calv, SPNavy, MIC, NIS, Transport-Air, Air-Tactical).

Relax @olekoima @Mogen. The Muteta soup simmers just perfectly. All is well thus far.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Fri Feb 08 2013, 00:13

You actually echoed my thoughts ole Nkarei. Was about to post about the same but some "browser malfunctions" screwed the whole postulation. Bado fibre-Optic cable Very Happy

This whole scenerio falls back into KDF policy, i.e. "Peace enforcement" and " Peace-keeping". Well, you said everything on this part. To add something, you will at long last realise that "money issues" will scoop something like 10% of the reasons for this withdrawal.
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Fri Feb 08 2013, 17:03

The location of Sammy's drone facility in Saudi Arabia has been exposed by a canny blogger.
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Article-2275520-176E2FD8000005DC-588_634x432
It was used for ops deep into Yemen and was apparently the staging ground for the drone attack that killed the American-turned terrorist Anwar Awlaki.
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Article-2275520-176E3356000005DC-725_634x376

Guess the security level at the facility is at its highest now, pity the sentries.

Talking of security levels, I once served under an officer who used to tell us that it was 'Standby Class Zero' to emphasise how alert we should be. Now, being a young soldier with a knack for adventure and the occasional indiscipline, I would sneak out when everyone is assumed to be within the defence. For the most part it worked, until one day when, after putting us on standby 'class zero' as usual, he and I met in a bar two kilometers away. Since we were all in the wrong, I escaped punishment and we became friends. R.I.P bro Laughing.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty SOUTHERN CORRIDOR

Post  mchoraji Fri Feb 08 2013, 18:43

KPA, KRA hope you make note. Currently UG transports 98% of it's cargo thr' mombasa but we have to take care lest we lose out to the dar port. bahati yetu is the southern route is longer by almost 3 days & dar-es-salaam is more congested than mombasa & ships sometimes take as much as 5 days in the high seas waiting for clearance to dock. with the recent dredging of the likoni channel bigger ships can dock on mombasa port & with the on-going expansion of the container terminal area things can only get better.

That said, the proposed standard gauge rail from msa to malaba & onwards to kampala & kigali needs to be in place soonest. this way quick clearance of cargo at the port will be possible. we shall also reduce the trucks on our roads which destroy the infrastructure ( & billions have been sank to make these roads ) & also reduce accidents & congestion on our roads

The Ministry of Finance has confirmed plans to revive the use of the southern route through Tanzania to end uncertainties Uganda faces while transporting goods from Kenya’s Mombasa Port into the country.

Finance minister Maria Kiwanuka yesterday said the Uganda and Tanzania governments have endorsed the plan, adding that all line agencies were in advanced stages to implement it. Ms Kiwanuka said there has always been a southern route through Mwanza or Mutula Town to Dar-es-Salaam, but noted that the current plan was not a short-term intervention in anticipation of the forthcoming elections in Kenya.

“It is important for Uganda to have at least two alternative routes for continuity in supply and efficiency of services,” she said, adding: “This is a long term plan because the most expensive good is one that does not reach or delays.”
The decision came after a joint ministerial meeting in Tanzania on January 25.
The meeting, the minister said was keen on ensuring smooth and rapid movement of goods through the route for both international and regional trade.
Ms Kiwanuka said the two countries also confirmed the availability of MV Kaawa, immediate dedication of MV Umoja for Uganda-destined cargo operation on Lake Victoria and the rehabilitation of Port Bell.
Junior Transport minister John Byabagambi said Kenya has been imposing non-tariff barriers, sometimes barring Uganda from using railway transport for bulk cargo.
“When you have one route and you are dictated upon by that particular country you are passing through, it is not good,” Mr Byabagambi said.
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Fri Feb 08 2013, 18:58

[quote="mchoraji"]KPA, KRA hope you make note. Currently UG transports 98% of it's cargo thr' mombasa but we have to take care lest we lose out to the dar port. bahati yetu is the southern route is longer by almost 3 days & dar-es-salaam is more congested than mombasa & ships sometimes take as much as 5 days in the high seas waiting for clearance to dock. with the recent dredging of the likoni channel bigger ships can dock on mombasa port & with the on-going expansion of the container terminal area things can only get better.

That said, the proposed standard gauge rail from msa to malaba & onwards to kampala & kigali needs to be in place soonest. this way quick clearance of cargo at the port will be possible. we shall also reduce the trucks on our roads which destroy the infrastructure ( & billions have been sank to make these roads ) & also reduce accidents & congestion on our roads

The Ministry of Finance has confirmed plans to revive the use of the southern route through Tanzania to end uncertainties Uganda faces while transporting goods from Kenya’s Mombasa Port into the country.

Finance minister Maria Kiwanuka yesterday said the Uganda and Tanzania governments have endorsed the plan, adding that all line agencies were in advanced stages to implement it. Ms Kiwanuka said there has always been a southern route through Mwanza or Mutula Town to Dar-es-Salaam, but noted that the current plan was not a short-term intervention in anticipation of the forthcoming elections in Kenya.

The port is Tanga, not Dar es Salaam
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 12
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji Sat Feb 09 2013, 09:37

Spartan wrote:

sawa @ spartan the more reason for msa to up it's game.competition is always welcome.

btw ON or spartan there is a map i saw a few weeks ago showing the proposed route for the proposed standard gauge rail in eastern africa.anyone with that map?? can't locate it
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Sat Feb 09 2013, 11:17

mchoraji wrote:
Spartan wrote:

sawa @ spartan the more reason for msa to up it's game.competition is always welcome.

btw ON or spartan there is a map i saw a few weeks ago showing the proposed route for the proposed standard gauge rail in eastern africa.anyone with that map?? can't locate it

This proposed new transit route is not good for kenya because it will kill the tourism industry by interfearing with annual migration routes for wild game between the serengeti plains and the mighty mara game parks.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  mchoraji Sat Feb 09 2013, 11:51

countersniper wrote:
This proposed new transit route is not good for kenya because it will kill the tourism industry by interfearing with annual migration routes for wild game between the serengeti plains and the mighty mara game parks.

very true @ sniper tz seems hell-bent on putting economic issues above the environment. when conservationists complained about the serengeti route tz acted as if the construction would cease but seems they are still pushing it. the other problem is lake natron which hosts flamingos that shuttle between lake nakuru & natron. tz wants to locate a soda ash plant at the lake this will destroy the birds' breeding ground. what am wondering is considering they have diamonds, gold, tanzanite & lots of natural gas plus fertile land.....they don't need to pursue the environmentally destructive path.
This route should be located south of the serengeti park as tz promised last year...or maybe spartan posted the earlier proposal
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 09 2013, 12:17

Strategic Infrastructural Investments in the EAC are now Integrated since 2010 precisely to avoid such wasteful and illogical projects such as are premised on revisionism which the very justification for an EAC seeks to obviate permanently - shared peace and prosperity within expanded borders, optimization of meagre investment funds in by eliminating unnecessary duplication of these outrageously expensive infrastryctural projects, peace-building and improved democratization within the EAC block, and cross-border linkage of governance structures, etc.

The Politicians are responding to commercial -nterests concerns in Kampala Mombasa Kigali and Tanga. Ensuring stability in East Africa post March 4th is the most enduring alternative. The official alternative. If we cannot manage this Kenyan Election with the least interruptions and fall-out, as East Africans, then the while Concept of the EAC/Kenyana is a mere dream.

Btw - the MWANZA-Serengeti Route was killed officially last year - by the EAC. There is road being constructed but of a load-capacity and traffic way below what was proposed. The Impact on conservation will not be any greater than on the Tsavo Conservation Block.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Sun Feb 10 2013, 07:30

Blackshark wrote:Russia is also laying claim to some inlands owned by Japan since 1855 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21364559

And the melo-drama thrives on. Quite intruiging.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/story.php?articleID=2000076945
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Sun Feb 10 2013, 12:02

@ON the dominos are following exactly as I expected them to go.... Cool a bit to earlier??? i feel those are warrning shoots Twisted Evil
http://elections.nation.co.ke/news/US-restates-stance-on-Uhuru-and-Ruto-/-/1631868/1687986/-/t3uvm8/-/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEamWNUCsM
unasikia kizungu kilivyo badilishwa hapo na johny’s rep.

@balozi I will get back to you on the legality of Air strikes..your trailing on my 6 eehh ok. Very Happy
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 10 2013, 14:27

Risasi wrote:@ON the dominos are following exactly as I expected them to go.... Cool a bit to earlier??? i feel those are warrning shoots Twisted Evil
http://elections.nation.co.ke/news/US-restates-stance-on-Uhuru-and-Ruto-/-/1631868/1687986/-/t3uvm8/-/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEamWNUCsM
unasikia kizungu kilivyo badilishwa hapo na johny’s rep.

@balozi I will get back to you on the legality of Air strikes..your trailing on my 6 eehh ok. Very Happy

To put some perspective to this Obama-Carson drama.

There isn't a contradiction in the American expressions - there can't be any on such a serious matter which would demand specific consultations within the Obama Government. Obama's statement expresses the 'ideal' without offending the tenets of Democracy - free choice fair elections. But Carson being a pretty junior functiionary expresses the nasty element that Obama cannot officially express, by qualifying Obama's Statement through the official Foreign Policy on this Kenya question. Depending on reactions and results, Obama has plausible deniability or plausible acknowledgement rolled into one. He can either honour Carson or throw Carson under the bus. Remember Carson's only job is Regime-engineering in Africa without tarnishing Obama with the dirt of his operations. Carson is the nexus of Diplomacy/Intelligence/military SoecOps of Obamau's African Policy.

Very clever. Very normal.

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty TRANSPARENCY

Post  mchoraji Tue Feb 12 2013, 08:23

What guys do you think of this report in the east african.of course there is a lot of truth. i also believe if the report was done 5-10yrs ago kenya would have fared far worse.an interesting read though

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Graft-invades-military-and-defence-budgets/-/2558/1689610/-/198e7qz/-/index.html
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Tue Feb 12 2013, 17:36

mchoraji wrote:What guys do you think of this report in the east african.of course there is a lot of truth. i also believe if the report was done 5-10yrs ago kenya would have fared far worse.an interesting read though

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Graft-invades-military-and-defence-budgets/-/2558/1689610/-/198e7qz/-/index.html

As the report correctly captures, this is a trend common all over the world. It is because of the secrecy associated that this kind of thing happens. I don't expect much to change anytime soon.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty Presidential debate

Post  Kobooz Wed Feb 13 2013, 09:26

I was surprised to hear the idea of using satellite technology to enhance security coming from the lady among men. I must say she beat them on this one. She specifically said in such a case police would have scanned baragoi and thus avoid the catastrophe!

Kobooz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Wed Feb 13 2013, 14:18

Dear Jesus! Is it that we Africans lack the necessary faith or embolded prowess to put our shamey-mischief behind us, or what goes on around? Just after a week after deployment we are busy in the sreets begging for food, in a hot theater. Ngai! Evil or Very Mad

Nigerians please, style up don't be a let-down to Africa for goodness sake!
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Feb 13 2013, 17:55

Cycoh 'DUDUS' wrote:Dear Jesus! Is it that we Africans lack the necessary faith or embolded prowess to put our shamey-mischief behind us, or what goes on around? Just after a week after deployment we are busy in the sreets begging for food, in a hot theater. Ngai! Evil or Very Mad

Nigerians please, style up don't be a let-down to Africa for goodness sake!

Begging where bwana, i don't seem to get it. Give me a link.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Wed Feb 13 2013, 19:46

@Olekoima
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/120000-exclusive-hardship-hits-nigerian-troops-in-mali-as-officers-solicit-food-from-locals.html
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty EAC to have a single passport

Post  mogen Thu Feb 14 2013, 06:59

One passport for East Africans by end of 2013, wow! Plenty of stuff to chew here.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000077223&pageNo=1&story_title=Kenya-EAC-to-have-a-single-passport
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:15

Cycoh 'DUDUS' wrote:@Olekoima
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/120000-exclusive-hardship-hits-nigerian-troops-in-mali-as-officers-solicit-food-from-locals.html

Thanks Cycoh DUDUS, i thought it was Kenya. Sorry for that.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:16

mogen wrote:
One passport for East Africans by end of 2013, wow! Plenty of stuff to chew here.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000077223&pageNo=1&story_title=Kenya-EAC-to-have-a-single-passport

A most welcome move.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty EASTERN DRC

Post  mchoraji Thu Feb 14 2013, 10:56

SADC had some tricks up it's sleeves last weekend.anyone with info on how far they've gone in the DRC force deployment?

Southern African leaders have agreed to allow a 4,000-strong regional peacekeeping force to engage directly with rebels fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo, officials said.

A regional peacekeeping force will be able to combat "whoever is trying to destabilise the situation in the eastern part of Congo," the Southern African Development Community (SADC) secretary general Tomaz Salomao told AFP after a regional meeting late on Friday.

No deployment date has been fixed.

In an extraordinary summit in the Mozambique capital Maputo, leaders of the 14-member bloc decided on a separate command structure and rules of engagement for the force, though it would nominally fall under the United Nations.

The force still needs UN Security Council clearance.

"If we do not have this mandate we will be creating the impression we are invading," said Salomao.

Logistical issues such as repatriating injured or killed troops still need to be finalised, he added.

South Africa, Malawi, Zimbabwe and Tanzania have already pledged troops for the regional force.

Tanzania President Jakaya Kikwete hailed the decision reached at the summit, also attended by DR Congo President Joseph Kabila, saying it would lead to "a better situation in the Congo".

"It is a big leap forward for peace in the Democratic Republic of Congo," said Kikwete, who heads the SADC's security wing.

Regional groupings have been trying since July to set up a neutral international force to break up the numerous militia groups that prey on civilians in eastern DR Congo.

But African leaders wanted assurances any peacekeepers they send will have the mandate to engage the rebels rather than simply enforcing peace as under the current UN mandate, diplomatic sources told AFP earlier.

The 17,000-strong force of the UN mission in DR Congo (MONUSCO) operates under a limited mandate that only allows it to protect civilians, not engage directly with rebel forces.

During the sacking of the key Dr Congo city of Goma in November by rebels from the Movement of March 23 (M23), UN peacekeepers were unable to step in and stop their advance.

Kabila's government and M23 rebels have been holding peace talks in the Ugandan capital Kampala.

The negotiations in Kampala are the latest in several bids to end a long-running conflict that has forced hundreds of thousands of people in eastern DR Congo from their homes.

mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Fri Feb 15 2013, 17:48

Ethiopia produces first military drone aircraft
February 14, 2013 (ADDIS ABABA) – An Ethiopian military source has told Sudan Tribune that the country has built the first unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) or drone which could be used for multiple purposes.
After undergoing testing, the
locally made drones, have demonstrated their capability of performing a
number of militarily and civilian applications, according to the source.

Speaking on condition of anonymity from the country’s air force base in Debrezeit town, a military official told Sudan Tribune
that the drones are equipped with onboard sensors, cameras and GPS to
carry out cost-effective monitoring activities even across difficult
landscapes like the highlands of Ethiopia.

Besides serving in a number of
military missions - such as in monitoring border security - the UAVs
will also be deployed to perform geophysical surveys, assist forest
protection and monitor forest fires or other natural disasters.

The drones have already made
test flights performing a geophysical survey of Ethiopia’s controversial
grand renaissance dam, a massive hydro-power plant project the country
is constructing on the Blue Nile River near to the Sudanese border.

In recent years, many African
countries have shown growing interest in using drones as a
cost-effective way to control huge infrastructure facilities, as well as
areas rich in natural resources such as oil, mine and gas sites.

In 2011 Ethiopia signed an agreement with Israeli manufacturer BlueBird Aero Systems to purchase drones.
Binyam Tekle, a lecturer and
researcher at a government university, says the development of
indigenous drones is a great achievement for Ethiopia and will help
strengthen the national army.

Due to Ethiopia’s long and
fragile borders with Eritrea, Somalia, Kenya, Sudan and more recently
South Sudan, he said it is timely for the country to use UAVs to monitor
these shared and often tense and porous zones.

“With Eritrea-backed rebels and Somalia’s al-Qaeda linked al-Shabaab
terrorists repeatedly posing threats to national security, using UAVs
will be crucial for Ethiopia to avert planned attacks,” he told Sudan Tribune.

Ethiopia is a key regional
security partner to the United States particularly in the war on terror
due to its proximity to Yemen and Somalia.

In 2011, the Obama
administration launched a drone base in Ethiopia for counter-terrorism
operations in the Horn of Africa, particularly to attack al-Qaeda
affiliates in Somalia. Earlier this month, it was revealed that the US
has had a drone base in Saudi Arabia, with its existence kept secret by
the US media in collusion with the Obama administration.

In recent years, Ethiopia has
made tremendous achievements in the defence sector by managing to
manufacture its own military equipment and defence systems.

On Thursday, Ethiopia marked
its first ever Defence Force Day under the theme “Our constitutional
loyalty and public nature would be preserved”.

A defence exhibition was staged
in the heart of the capital, Addis Ababa, demonstrating the level of
progress the nation has made.

Light and heavy modern weapons,
as well as different vehicles manufactured by the army-run automotive
industry were also displayed at the exhibition.

Government officials said that Ethiopia has built a defence force capable of breaking any internal or external enemy.
The Horn of Africa nation has
one of the strongest army and air forces on the continent and often
contributes troops to United Nations peace keeping missions.

Ethiopia spends around 2.4% of its GDP on the military.

http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article45518
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Sat Feb 16 2013, 11:52

@mchoraji, Only the South African gov't has deployment 400 troops into C.A.R to tackle other objectives, a venture that is already receiving a lot of resistance internally. No officially-cleared detachment has set foot in DRC to date.

On a different note, the rebels are being offered another reason to keep thriving on.
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/-/1066/1695846/-/15dmofd/-/index.html

....more grease on the rebels' ambitions and aspirations. Came to think of it; Kabila might be the "Elephant-in-the-room" Very Happy A point to gamble, perharps.

mchoraji wrote:SADC had some tricks up it's sleeves last weekend.anyone with info on how far they've gone in the DRC force deployment?
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty DRC PEACE AGGREEMENT SIGNING SOON

Post  mchoraji Mon Feb 18 2013, 16:20

United Nations, Feb 18 – UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon will attend a signing ceremony next week in Addis Ababa for an accord aimed at pacifying the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, his spokesman said Sunday.
Ban’s spokesman, Martin Nesirky, told AFP that invitations for the ceremony went out on Friday.

“He intends to be at the event on 24 February in Addis Ababa. All the invited presidents have committed to either be there or delegate power to sign,” he said.
The Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Angola, Congo, South Africa and Tanzania are expected to sign the framework agreement, after refusing to do so at an African Union summit in Addis last month.
UN officials have said that the disagreement had not been over the content of the agreement, but over procedural concerns.
Back-to-back wars ravaged Eastern DR Congo from 1996 to 2003. The region is home to a complex web of rebel groups and militias battling for its mineral wealth.
The security plan would toughen the existing UN peacekeeping mission in DR Congo with a 2,500-strong “intervention brigade” to tackle the “March 23 Movement” — an insurgency that the United Nations says is backed by Rwanda and Uganda, which they deny.
The troops will be charged with tackling all armed groups that have terrorized the resource-rich region over the past 15 years, and with neutralizing the threat of the armed groups through targeted operations against command and control structures in specific sites.
The DRC’s mineral-rich east has long been caught up in strife among local and foreign armed groups. Since May, the army has been fighting the insurgency.
The M23 was founded by former fighters of an ethnic-Tutsi rebel group whose members were integrated into the regular army under a peace deal whose terms they claim were never fully delivered. The group’s main demand now is the full implementation of the March 23, 2009 accord.
The M23 controls part of the Rutshuru region, an unstable territory rich in minerals and agricultural produce that borders on Rwanda and Uganda. The M23 briefly seized the key city of Goma in November.
Several of its leaders have been hit by UN sanctions over alleged atrocities. The group has been accused of raping women and girls, using child soldiers and killing civilians.
The latest cycle of unrest in eastern DR Congo erupted last year when the rebels seized Goma, a mining hub, before pulling out 12 days later. Peace talks have been held in Uganda, but have made little headway.
The peacekeeping mission already deployed in DR Congo, MONUSCO, is one of the UN’s biggest. It currently has about 17,000 troops and, under its Security Council mandate, is allowed to have up to 19,800.

Any curious clauses in the new deal.anyone with details?
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Empty TALL THIN ONE'S 'TRANSITION

Post  mchoraji Tue Feb 19 2013, 12:21

So tall thin one has set up a team to work out transition formula at the end of his second & final 7 year term. i've been among the skeptics who've believed he'd go for a third term but he's kinda disputing it.we'l see how this plays out.he has made too many enemies he therefore if he is to give up power must want a reliable person to succeed him.that would leave the old man at entebbe as the only leader in EAC ambaye hang'atuki ngo'.he may soon get lonely at the top with no peer in the region (age & experience wise)

President Paul Kagame has launched a process that could finally end the debate on a third term for him, by tasking three senior members of his Rwandan Patriotic Front to come up with a “transition formula.

The president used the platform of the party’s national executive committee (NEC) on February 8 to task Tito Rutaremara, Joseph Karemera and Antoine Mugesera to come up with a formula that would deliver “change, continuity and stability” after 2017, when his constitutional term as president expires.

A senior RPF member, who spoke on condition of anonymity said President Kagame informed them that he was in a “dilemma” over the third term question.

Mr Rutaremara would not discuss if the options included proposing a third term for President Kagame, simply stating: “Those saying Kagame should go just because his term is finished are being lazy. We are responsible people we have to study everything. We must get a formula that shall give us maximum of change, continuity and stability.”

At the meeting, the source said, President Kagame briefly talked about the Congo issue, which has damaged relations between his government and development partners, and dedicated the better part of the discussion to the third term question.

Mr Rutaremara said, “The president has said he is not interested in the third term… but he also does not want to look like he is running away from responsibility — and by the way, he is not the one to decide.”
mchoraji
mchoraji

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Tue Feb 19 2013, 13:14

A bit of dedication with a heart wide open is necessary to slow down this Mali pendulum. The French shouldn't actually withdraw in March as they had stated earlier, in order to pave way for a sound Strategic plan for the next anticipated chronology of events. Failure to do that posted above, well, They will have just concluded a precautionary sweep of the immediate environment, something not worthy the Historical Records.

West African countries got lump-some lot of matters to take care of as we speak, afterall, they should have already had a vivid mental-picture of the way forward.

A near-real analyses of implications peddled by the presence of the rebels which even makes the D.R.C puzzle look like child's play.

http://m.irinnews.org/Report/97494/The-regional-threat-posed-by-Mali-s-militantse
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Wed Feb 20 2013, 11:02

Over the past few weeks I've had musings related to why Francophone countries are doing a poor job securing their countries, from Mali, C.A.R, DRC etc and decided to do some digging on their inventories. And I wasn't alone. Turns out, most are modestly equipped. The problem isn't poverty or equipment, it's the mentality - they just haven't got the stomach to fight, even a good fight. I was pleasantly surprised Guinea, for example, is not doing very badly hardware-wise compared to Malawi a country of similar size (with Tanzania to contend with, potentially)
REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 TIGER
Guinean soldiers with mean-looking Russian-made troop carriers. But seriosuly, the guy above needs to retire (another systemic problem in Francophone armies, the ranks that form the foot soldiers are staffed with 40 - 50 year-olds)

REGIONAL DISCUSSIONS: - Page 7 Mi+24
Guinean Airforce Mi-24s
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 24 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 24  Next