THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

+37
mchoraji
proud kenyan
mekatilili
firewall
kimiti
Mbaine
HokumA
SS Jamuhuri
Uzi
Nesta
Observer
Al Bashir
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
georiise
mogen
Fabrizio
MOOZALENDO
cylon
aggressor one
Ole Sidai
mwepesi
countersniper
Sierra Kilo
vince
Kobooz
Batian
one man army
Spartan
tempest
jasiri
mJESHI mMOJA
Flying Crane
Olekoima
Risasi
Sisal Makonge
Balozi
Admin
41 posters

Page 8 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 33  Next

Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  tempest Tue Mar 20 2012, 08:20

Not UN but SIPRI.
tempest
tempest

http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  Olekoima Tue Mar 20 2012, 15:04

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 300px-SA-3_EP_2006

S-125-2D. Uganda received some of these between 2010 and 2011 from Ukraine. TZ have some too. Not bad at all. Kudos UPDF that is the way to go. Modernize.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sun Mar 25 2012, 11:18

Uganda's air assets(esp offensive) have increased substantially over the last few years more so with the acquisition of the formidable SU-30 combat jets(a technological leap some say). The ground troops have not been left out too in what appears to be a modernization of some sort. One area though that seems to have been forgotten is the rotary wing of the airforce- a few helicopter gunships for the force would go a long way in solving some headaches such as those posed by one Joseph Kony and Al-Shabaab. This is one area that Uganda needs to pay attention to with some seriousness. There have been rumors of drones, but what about helicopters? Isn't anyone seeing the need for these? Kenya seems to have increased her combat helicopter fleet substantially over the last few years. Can Uganda borrow a leaf here?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Mon Mar 26 2012, 14:22

I agree that the UPDF airforce needs attack choppers, but it is not that they have not been giving it the priority that it deserves. For the last 20 years, they have tried to acquire attack choppers-especially Mi-24s. Indeed, they have acquired at least 12 of which at least six are in operation today-including the night operation enabled MI-24PN versions -acquired in 2003 and which are hugely lauded for having chased Joseph Kony out of Uganda. However, with the upgrading accross the border, with Sus and T-90s, the rotary wing needs something to match-perhaps some MI-28s?

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Mon Mar 26 2012, 17:17

In Kenya for example, some combat helicopters actually belong to the army and are used as airborne artillery while the rest are owned by the airforce. And they have a variety of these choppers- the ZW-9s, Mil Mi-28, the MD500s and still testing the Kamov 50s.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo Mon Mar 26 2012, 17:26

aggressor one wrote: However, with the upgrading accross the border, with Sus and T-90s, the rotary wing needs something to match-perhaps some MI-28s?

@aggressor one, welcome on board, mind explainining a bit on the quote, iam not aware of any other country in the region with "Sus and T-90s" other than mighty Uganda.
Sierra Kilo
Sierra Kilo

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Tue Mar 27 2012, 04:07

Olekoima wrote:In Kenya for example, some combat helicopters actually belong to the army and are used as airborne artillery while the rest are owned by the airforce. And they have a variety of these choppers- the ZW-9s, Mil Mi-28, the MD500s and still testing the Kamov 50s.
You are correct.
the 50TH air cavalry unit of the KDF was an army operation formed after the 1982 coup attempt by the then KAF.
they operated all rotary winged combat choppers like the md 500 while the kenya airforce operated the heavy lift transports including the VIP transport assets.
but there seems To be a deliberate integration of these assets during OLN because there is a joint operations command...that is why you see the small choppers still having the markings "ARMY"
while the big choppers have Kenya air force markings.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Tue Mar 27 2012, 04:23

1)
on another note when did UPDF acquire T90?
Am sure Kenyans would have known,because these would have passed through Mombasa port, then by road to Uganda on heavy lift trucks.
it is not viable to deliver these 47 to 53 tonnes each heavy monsters by air.
2)
it seems the officer corps in updf and the special forces brigade formerly presidential guards is more than disproportionally staffed by museveni tribesmen or lets say banyankole.is this not a recipe for discontent and future disaster?

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/1373776/-/awqoykz/-/index.html
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Tue Mar 27 2012, 07:45

Sorry, i meant accross the board not accross the border.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Tue Mar 27 2012, 07:56

It is almost public knowledge that Uganda has the tee-90s, wikipedia puts the figure at 100..hmmn, Sipri puts it at 31, acquired as part of the Su-30s contract. Where they passed is another story.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Tue Mar 27 2012, 08:47

aggressor one wrote:It is almost public knowledge that Uganda has the tee-90s, wikipedia puts the figure at 100..hmmn, Sipri puts it at 31, acquired as part of the Su-30s contract. Where they passed is another story.

This is true. Risasi even posted a link of these international arms transfers on the Kenyan page. I think 31 pieces have already been delivered. They could have passed through Dar like the modernized T-55s did.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty UPDF Weapons PIcs

Post  cylon Sat Mar 31 2012, 05:22

I never Knew UPDF owned humvees {photo is taken in kampala} The SWAT TEAMS
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Tumblr_lkf08u1rhA1qakqyfo1_r1_500
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp6IKvJ7trwqTayoQ9X3xkrC6UQSJomgLHrG1N-mKWC06ybcAcK6izzXjE

The Might Sukhoi's

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 President-M7-Commissions-New-Fighter-Jets-edited

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2004-9-10-uganda
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Mon Apr 02 2012, 09:17

Photos taken in 2009, September. The Humvees have been around for sometime.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Tue Apr 03 2012, 07:41

aggressor one wrote:Photos taken in 2009, September. The Humvees have been around for sometime.

These are even quoted in Wikipedia, about 50 of them.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Wed Apr 04 2012, 03:14

Olekoima wrote:
aggressor one wrote:Photos taken in 2009, September. The Humvees have been around for sometime.

These are even quoted in Wikipedia, about 50 of them.

Thanks Agressor and Olekoima but i dont read wiki
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Sun Apr 15 2012, 10:52

Very impressive war machines for Uganda. Uganda is struggling to be a military defense hub, and is giving Sipri plenty of ammunition for analysis on kenyana.
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty Well, SIN has a counterpart after all!

Post  MOOZALENDO Sun Apr 15 2012, 14:15

Smile Sudan fighting and...

Intimate reports of how M7 was briefed. How does anybody get hands on the confidential presidential briefings?
What a Face

Mooz
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Mon Apr 16 2012, 07:52

MOOZALENDO wrote:Smile Sudan fighting and...

Intimate reports of how M7 was briefed. How does anybody get hands on the confidential presidential briefings?
What a Face

Mooz

That story can be described with one word, baloney. Journalists have developed a tactic of throwing around words like ''intelligence" and "sources from state house" to give their fiction weight in the eyes of the undiscerning.

And Al Bashil, who has failed to finish off a hummingbird, can't be taken seriously when he asks for a turkey.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Sidai Mon Apr 16 2012, 08:34

And Al Bashil, who has failed to finish off a hummingbird, can't be taken seriously when he asks for a turkey.

Well said Spartan. He has numerous arenas to dance with deminishing resources. South,West and internal squabbling(Khartoum power struggle) without forgeting ICJ. Like I said a month ago,this can easily lead to another new country or his leadership demise. The only reason his Generals are on this one is because SS is the aggressor. Before then,they opposed drums of war on grounds of delapidated/overstretched resources. However, his boys can still give a punch.

BTW,ongoing reports suggesting that sammy is admonishing SS for this are probably media pr or the two faced "otoyo/fisi". Business interest rules and SS was dated and seduced long before skirmishes. Numerous scores are being settled here folks (East V West)!!!. On this matrix,auctioning resource futures for $$$$ to shop for knives and toys from the East(uncle Ho) is not a good idea. It is idebting a young nation with "deadhood debts"!
Ole Sidai
Ole Sidai

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty UPDF pilots Complain

Post  cylon Sat Apr 21 2012, 03:27

Looks like the UPDF has hit a snag training pilots to fly those glorious Sukhoi's.They are angry on what they are earning in flying those birds about $500 dollars monthly while their Russian experts who are flying helicopters is earning 8,000dollars monthly plus added bonuses.

"The pilots say their morale is totally down yet they are operating ‘complex’ jets."

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/1390390/-/item/0/-/6tcl6kz/-/index.html
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 Empty UAF Capacity building

Post  MOOZALENDO Sat Apr 21 2012, 07:34

I've always kept a respectable distance when two people I respect for intellect and command of the East African geopolitics, Spartan and my patriot Ole Nkarei lock horns (do not wish to be collateral:lol: ). Ole Nkarei has argued eloquently about the enablers that accompany effective AF ops. Indeed, it appears it will take some time before UPDF has sufficient capacity to op the Sues. I must however hasten to add that things must start somewhere and besides, when flying, hitting turbulence is not cause enough to abort a flight.

@Spartan bro, it could appear that govs generally like leaking certain pieces of info to serve specific purposes from time to time. The outlet of choice will usually be the same, but you can only get the trend after many months of painstaking observation.

Mooz

cylon wrote:Looks like the UPDF has hit a snag training pilots to fly those glorious Sukhoi's.They are angry on what they are earning in flying those birds about $500 dollars monthly while their Russian experts who are flying helicopters is earning 8,000dollars monthly plus added bonuses.

"The pilots say their morale is totally down yet they are operating ‘complex’ jets."

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/1390390/-/item/0/-/6tcl6kz/-/index.html
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Sat Apr 21 2012, 08:30

cylon wrote:Looks like the UPDF has hit a snag training pilots to fly those glorious Sukhoi's.They are angry on what they are earning in flying those birds about $500 dollars monthly while their Russian experts who are flying helicopters is earning 8,000dollars monthly plus added bonuses.

Interesting! the other day, we were told that UPDAF failed to get pilots for training to pilot these birds, insn`t it? so were did these who have now refused to fly the birds come from? Incidentally, i mix with these pilots during my sojourns from one theatre to another and i know that most of this talk is wishful thinking.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 21 2012, 08:51

MOOZALENDO wrote:I've always kept a respectable distance when two people I respect for intellect and command of the East African geopolitics, Spartan and my patriot Ole Nkarei lock horns (do not wish to be collateral:lol: ). Ole Nkarei has argued eloquently about the enablers that accompany effective AF ops. Indeed, it appears it will take some time before UPDF has sufficient capacity to op the Sues. I must however hasten to add that things must start somewhere and besides, when flying, hitting turbulence is not cause enough to abort a flight.

@Spartan bro, it could appear that govs generally like leaking certain pieces of info to serve specific purposes from time to time. The outlet of choice will usually be the same, but you can only get the trend after many months of painstaking observation.

Mooz

Hey Mooz - like you, I respect Spartan a hell of alot; and am wary of him at my six. But i reckon he knows too that we cannot and must not agree allatime - discussions would be stale otherwise.

And you are right too about Govas putting our info for specific purposes, markets and medium. All part of the job.

@aggressor-one - break out of this defensive perimeter. There is a hell of a lot going on around us, apart from the usual (annoying?) comments about those Sukhois, that could gain from your insightful opinions. Post, man!! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Mon Apr 23 2012, 11:19

ole Nkarei wrote:
MOOZALENDO wrote:I've always kept a respectable distance when two people I respect for intellect and command of the East African geopolitics, Spartan and my patriot Ole Nkarei lock horns (do not wish to be collateral:lol: ). Ole Nkarei has argued eloquently about the enablers that accompany effective AF ops. Indeed, it appears it will take some time before UPDF has sufficient capacity to op the Sues. I must however hasten to add that things must start somewhere and besides, when flying, hitting turbulence is not cause enough to abort a flight.

Mooz

Hey Mooz - like you, I respect Spartan a hell of alot; and am wary of him at my six. But i reckon he knows too that we cannot and must not agree allatime - discussions would be stale otherwise.

And you are right too about Govas putting our info for specific purposes, markets and medium. All part of the job.

@aggressor-one - break out of this defensive perimeter. There is a hell of a lot going on around us, apart from the usual (annoying?) comments about those Sukhois, that could gain from your insightful opinions. Post, man!! Rolling Eyes

Ole, i read you clearly, but you have mentioned that it is always in defence...which means that am reacting to some aggression rather than me being the aggressor. Perhaps the attackers should also be cautioned to tone down....

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu May 03 2012, 08:10

This article by someone in the US is perhaps not nice music for the regime in Uganda. Please read on and share your thoughts:-

http://blackstarnews.com/news/135/ARTICLE/8173/2012-05-02.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Fri May 04 2012, 09:47

Olekoima wrote:This article by someone in the US is perhaps not nice music for the regime in Uganda. Please read on and share your thoughts:-

http://blackstarnews.com/news/135/ARTICLE/8173/2012-05-02.html

Mr. Alimadi, the editor of blackstar news, is from Northern Uganda and is one of those who believe that the war in the north was a grand plan to carry out genocide against the Acholi, and that Kony is the good guy.

A credible source. NOT
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sat May 05 2012, 14:15

Uganda and the Sudans:-

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/uganda/articles/20120505.aspx
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sat May 05 2012, 14:38

Read this too:-

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/630826-updf-ready-to-hit-sudan-war-planes.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sat May 05 2012, 18:52

An interesting article by the East African:-

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/news/Seven+lessons+Burundi+and+Uganda+can+teach+Kenya+soldiers/-/2558/1399910/-/wl4x4x/-/
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabrizio Sat May 05 2012, 19:35

Recent pics from the hunt for Joseph Kony.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg123_Apr_2012_003246653galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$thumbimg423_Apr_2012_003729437galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$thumbimg223_Apr_2012_015551397galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg323_Apr_2012_003246653gallery
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg423_Apr_2012_003246653galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg523_Apr_2012_003246653galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg123_Apr_2012_003729437galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg223_Apr_2012_003729437gallery
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg323_Apr_2012_003729437galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg523_Apr_2012_003729437galleryUganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 8 2012_4$largeimg523_Apr_2012_011646950gallery

Fabrizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 33 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 33  Next