THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

+37
mchoraji
proud kenyan
mekatilili
firewall
kimiti
Mbaine
HokumA
SS Jamuhuri
Uzi
Nesta
Observer
Al Bashir
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
georiise
mogen
Fabrizio
MOOZALENDO
cylon
aggressor one
Ole Sidai
mwepesi
countersniper
Sierra Kilo
vince
Kobooz
Batian
one man army
Spartan
tempest
jasiri
mJESHI mMOJA
Flying Crane
Olekoima
Risasi
Sisal Makonge
Balozi
Admin
41 posters

Page 10 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next

Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 13 2012, 12:47

Uganda's first woman military pilot? Kudos Lt. Col. Rebecca Mpagi

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/631927-mpagi-uganda-s-first-woman-military-pilot.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 20 2012, 13:30

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8L99jIr1AVRFZHbsSc-e4i5DpwYgEmKgLew7Mz4I4lo5XlDmSO3bkvqA

Uganda receives final SU-30's from Russia.

http://www.defpro.com/news/details/36215/?SID=63bbd2051e5ab1267a56b650952ca8ea
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Wed Jun 20 2012, 14:54

Olekoima wrote:Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8L99jIr1AVRFZHbsSc-e4i5DpwYgEmKgLew7Mz4I4lo5XlDmSO3bkvqA

Was waiting to see when you would be alerted
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Jun 20 2012, 15:11

Spartan wrote:
Olekoima wrote:Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8L99jIr1AVRFZHbsSc-e4i5DpwYgEmKgLew7Mz4I4lo5XlDmSO3bkvqA

Was waiting to see when you would be alerted

It is a small world bro.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Wed Jun 20 2012, 16:14

It is a small world bro.Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy[/quote]

First reports came out around 30th May 2012, and for some reason I wasn't keen on sharing.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Empty Esaley Airstrip, Elma’an Port and Balad fall in quick order

Post  mogen Fri Jun 29 2012, 10:07

Esaley Airstrip, Elma’an Port and Balad have fallen in quick order and the fall of Jowhar is imminent.

UPDF Soldiers on guard in Balad
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Updf_s11

How soon can they get to the staging point for the assault on Marka and beyond?
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Fri Jun 29 2012, 12:20

mogen wrote:Esaley Airstrip, Elma’an Port and Balad have fallen in quick order and the fall of Jowhar is imminent.

UPDF Soldiers on guard in Balad
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Updf_s11

How soon can they get to the staging point for the assault on Marka and beyond?

Marka is certainly in sight, give it a week or two and it will be clear of the militants.

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:42

Some accolades (sp?) for the UPDF. Kudos:-

http://allafrica.com/stories/201206270749.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Empty Uganda plans to repatriate Congolese soldiers who fled fighting

Post  Olekoima Wed Jul 11 2012, 13:12

Isn't this risking the lives of the soldiers in question?

http://www.businessghana.com/portal/news/index.php?op=getNews&news_cat_id=1&id=169032
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Jul 25 2012, 17:34

Wow, the cost of war. It is never cheap:-

http://www.observer.ug/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20026:-updf-somalia-budget-up-78-shs-672m-per-day-245bn-per-year&catid=34:news&Itemid=114
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Mon Jul 30 2012, 14:43

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/Uganda+bans+physical+contact+as+Ebola+reaches+capital/-/1066/1466764/-/pav8ps/-/index.html aiyaya! hii maneno ni mbaya Crying or Very sad . Crane n Spartan how am i going to shake your hands when i come to Uganda?
I think East Africa particurlaly Kenya n Uganda should have a regional Ebola research center. this thing is making people uncomfortable sasa.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Mon Jul 30 2012, 15:47

jasiri wrote:http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/Uganda+bans+physical+contact+as+Ebola+reaches+capital/-/1066/1466764/-/pav8ps/-/index.html aiyaya! hii maneno ni mbaya Crying or Very sad . Crane n Spartan how am i going to shake your hands when i come to Uganda?
I think East Africa particurlaly Kenya n Uganda should have a regional Ebola research center. this thing is making people uncomfortable sasa.

I wonder how the government can ban 'physical contact'.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo Mon Jul 30 2012, 16:21

Spartan wrote:
jasiri wrote:http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/Uganda+bans+physical+contact+as+Ebola+reaches+capital/-/1066/1466764/-/pav8ps/-/index.html aiyaya! hii maneno ni mbaya Crying or Very sad . Crane n Spartan how am i going to shake your hands when i come to Uganda?

I wonder how the government can ban 'physical contact'.

Everyone to stay in his bubble!!!!
Sierra Kilo
Sierra Kilo

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Sat Aug 04 2012, 10:48

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 778849-clinton
Hillary Clinton at the Special Forces Group training school at Kasenyi on the shores of Lake Victoria inspecting a Raven drone training session.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sat Aug 04 2012, 13:27

Spartan wrote:Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 778849-clinton
Hillary Clinton at the Special Forces Group training school at Kasenyi on the shores of Lake Victoria inspecting a Raven drone training session.

Interesting this visit. Add this too:-

http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-08-02-hillary-tours-the-african-frontlines-of-americas-war-on-terror
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Cycoh 'DUDUS' Sat Aug 04 2012, 14:36

Olekoima wrote:
Spartan wrote:Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 778849-clinton

Interesting this visit. Add this too:-

http://dailymaverick.co.za/article/2012-08-02-hillary-tours-the-african-frontlines-of-americas-war-on-terror
A writer who doesn't condone non-sense. Way to go SIMON ALLISON. cheers
Very true article from the Maverick by this writer. Great patriot of Kenyana. Clinton's a hypocritical tour in the name of building democratic institutions n increasing business ties.
Walking around admiring, UPDF's drones to convince everyone that the drones had SOMETHING to do with her, (An AFRICOM affair) ...is a bit weird, lack of purpose, least to say.
@Spartan, why did you allow that "*&**@!" ...to go around laying her hands on ur drones?? She might even introduce a virus by MERE TOUCHING!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Heaven forbid.
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Cycoh 'DUDUS'

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo Sun Aug 05 2012, 16:24

How effective are these AA guns to modern day fighters??

MOROTO, Uganda - The Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) army soldiers’ have been advised to master guns properly and ready for any war.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 UPDF
The UPDF soldiers with their machine gun in Olilim the soliders have been urged to master shooting target (Photo by Steven Ariong)

The call was made on Friday by Major Sam Mwesigwa while closing a one month air defence training in Moroto army barracks.

He said soldiers’ should master all the skills of shooting a gun adding that this would help them to avoid making mistakes when they are in the war field.

“You should muster a gun properly and become more seniors in target shooting so that in case of any war you will be the best,” he advised the soldiers’.

The training started last month of June and ended on Friday this month.

According to the acting UPDF 3rd Division spokesperson Capt. Edward Natukunda the training was internal training targeting the 3rd Division brigade with the aimed at refreshing the skills of soldiers in air defence.

He said the training was not for the first time to happen in Moroto adding the 3rd Division brigade has been carrying out several internal trainings refreshing the soldiers.

“This is our normal refresher course we always do it so that soldiers don’t forget their skills,” he said.

Capt. Natukunda said during the training, loud explosive were fired on the slopes of Mt Moroto after survey by the army on the specific area where no families.

Asked whether the community was a wear of the loud explosive, Capt Natukunda said before the training several announcements were aired on the local FM radios informing the general public about the loud explosive.

“The community was well informed about the development, he said adding as UPDF, the people’s army we don’t do things like trainings near the communities when they don’t know,” he said.
Sierra Kilo
Sierra Kilo

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Sun Aug 05 2012, 18:45

Towed ZPU-4 quadruple barreled anti-aircraft gun based on the Soviet KPV 14.5 mm machine gun, effective range of 8km. a thorn in the flesh under the right hands and training.

Sierra Kilo wrote:How effective are these AA guns to modern day fighters??

MOROTO, Uganda - The Uganda Peoples Defence Forces (UPDF) army soldiers’ have been advised to master guns properly and ready for any war.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 UPDF
The UPDF soldiers with their machine gun in Olilim the soliders have been urged to master shooting target (Photo by Steven Ariong)

The call was made on Friday by Major Sam Mwesigwa while closing a one month air defence training in Moroto army barracks.

He said soldiers’ should master all the skills of shooting a gun adding that this would help them to avoid making mistakes when they are in the war field.

“You should muster a gun properly and become more seniors in target shooting so that in case of any war you will be the best,” he advised the soldiers’.

The training started last month of June and ended on Friday this month.

According to the acting UPDF 3rd Division spokesperson Capt. Edward Natukunda the training was internal training targeting the 3rd Division brigade with the aimed at refreshing the skills of soldiers in air defence.

He said the training was not for the first time to happen in Moroto adding the 3rd Division brigade has been carrying out several internal trainings refreshing the soldiers.

“This is our normal refresher course we always do it so that soldiers don’t forget their skills,” he said.

Capt. Natukunda said during the training, loud explosive were fired on the slopes of Mt Moroto after survey by the army on the specific area where no families.

Asked whether the community was a wear of the loud explosive, Capt Natukunda said before the training several announcements were aired on the local FM radios informing the general public about the loud explosive.

“The community was well informed about the development, he said adding as UPDF, the people’s army we don’t do things like trainings near the communities when they don’t know,” he said.
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Mon Aug 06 2012, 12:09

Risasi wrote:Towed ZPU-4 quadruple barreled anti-aircraft gun based on the Soviet KPV 14.5 mm machine gun, effective range of 8km. a thorn in the flesh under the right hands and training.

I have not-so-good memories about the ZPU-1, the single barreled version shown below. During combat it's supposed to by carried by half a section. That's around six men, for the uninitiated brothers here. Heavens help you if you are chosen to do that unenviable task, which is exactly what happened to me. Now, I am over 6feet and I was carrying the ZPU-1 with some rather 'brief' brothers-in-arms. I think one dislocated a shoulder bone.

The gun's position is supposed to be changed every so often so the enemy doesn't destroy it (along with you). Rest assured that the enemy is going to deploy considerable resources to do just that. And you don't have all day to dismantle the gun (into three parts if my memory serves me well), just minutes, before moving it - to another hilltop in our case, and assembling it. I've always wondered how all guns however big don't need a screw driver or hammer to be put apart.

It was one long hard day. Thankfully, it was a training session.
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 ZPU-1_400x300

As AA assets, the ZPUs are considered 'harassing guns' because they have rarely brought down a plane, they make it really hard for choppers and other low flying and slow crafts to do their thing. But they do a helluva job as harrassing weapons - I will never forget my first 'crossing under fire' manouvre with ZPUs firing over my head.
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Tue Aug 07 2012, 08:37

Although the '14' as soldiers love to call it was made as an AA gun, the most alluring memories of it in Uganda are actually as an infantry support weapon. Right from the Luwero war in the 80s, the '14' proved to be a thorn in the flesh of whoever it was being fired against, mainly because of its ruthlessness against . When it was introduced in Luwero by the UNLA, the NRA did not have a clear strategy to fight it. Stories are told of how a UNLA unit commanded by late Colonel water Ochola and an NRA unit commanded by now Major General Pecos Kuteesa fought over the 'ownership' of a '14'. Kuteesa wanted to capture the gun 'alive' so that he takes back to the rebels for 'dymsfying' .......

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  aggressor one Tue Aug 07 2012, 08:41

Finally, the Ugandan contingent has deployed choppers in Somalia. several Mi-24s and armed Mi-17s. The forces will now advance faster thanks to these 'Force Multipliers'

aggressor one

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo Tue Aug 07 2012, 08:57

aggressor one wrote:Finally, the Ugandan contingent has deployed choppers in Somalia. several Mi-24s and armed Mi-17s. The forces will now advance faster thanks to these 'Force Multipliers'

This new development will definitely increase pressure on the Alkebabs,!!
Sierra Kilo
Sierra Kilo

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Empty South Sudan Accuses Ugandans of Stealing Land

Post  Olekoima Thu Aug 09 2012, 11:56

This is laughable:-

http://www.voanews.com/content/south-sudan-accuses-ugandans-of-stealing-land/1476532.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Thu Aug 09 2012, 13:14

Olekoima wrote:This is laughable:-

http://www.voanews.com/content/south-sudan-accuses-ugandans-of-stealing-land/1476532.html

The commissioner of Kajo Keji is a fool. Everytime he stirs up trouble Mzee has to meet Salva Kiir to reduce the tension. The area in contention was occupied by Sudanese refugees for more than twenty years, most of whom have gone back. Those who remained somehow think it became part of South Sudan
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_d1EC3QWpNXzfXnUMczptYnRlUtCLkp7T9lAkIG4jDMPx-ZsxJ-tLSzSa
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Aug 09 2012, 13:50

Spartan wrote:
Olekoima wrote:This is laughable:-

The commissioner of Kajo Keji is a fool. Everytime he stirs up trouble Mzee has to meet Salva Kiir to reduce the tension. The area in contention was occupied by Sudanese refugees for more than twenty years, most of whom have gone back. Those who remained somehow think it became part of South Sudan
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 10 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_d1EC3QWpNXzfXnUMczptYnRlUtCLkp7T9lAkIG4jDMPx-ZsxJ-tLSzSa

I understand. The South Sudanese have this habit of claiming other people's lands just because they were allowed to be refugees there. Even in Kenya they occassionally think that Nadapal is within their territory.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Mon Aug 13 2012, 04:34

Uganda Air-Force Mil Mi-24 Helicopters Go Missing in Kenyan Airspace
Strategic Intelligence News [intelligence briefs.com] reports that Uganda Air-Force Mil Mi-24 Helicopters have gone Missing in Kenyan Airspace

"...Intelligence briefs confirmed by Strategic Intelligence confirm that Ugandan air-force helicopters have gone missing in Kenyan airspace while one has landed in Wajir military air-base. Intelligence reports confirm the landing of one Ugandan defense forces attack helicopter at Wajir military air-base in Kenya while 3-other attack helicopters have gone missing in the Kenyan air-space..."

@Spartan what happened with the Hinds?
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Spartan Mon Aug 13 2012, 10:25

mogen wrote:Uganda Air-Force Mil Mi-24 Helicopters Go Missing in Kenyan Airspace
Strategic Intelligence News [intelligence briefs.com] reports that Uganda Air-Force Mil Mi-24 Helicopters have gone Missing in Kenyan Airspace

"...Intelligence briefs confirmed by Strategic Intelligence confirm that Ugandan air-force helicopters have gone missing in Kenyan airspace while one has landed in Wajir military air-base. Intelligence reports confirm the landing of one Ugandan defense forces attack helicopter at Wajir military air-base in Kenya while 3-other attack helicopters have gone missing in the Kenyan air-space..."

I didn't know KDF wanted the hinds that bad. All you had to do was ask, not grab them! Just Kidding Laughing. My gut feeling is they are fine and probably in an area where they can't be reached. If it was one, i would be worried.

@Ole Nkarei, you surely know what's going on in your backyard, don't you?
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Mon Aug 13 2012, 10:54

Spartan wrote: ... ... My gut feeling is they are fine and probably in an area where they can't be reached. If it was one, i would be worried.
Sadly two crashes site found ... ... they are still looking for the 3rd one. Here: Ugandan choppers crashed in Kenya
Two of the missing Ugandan attack helicopters which went off the radar on Sunday as they flew to Somalia to shore up the final attack on the port city of Kismayu have been sighted after crash.

Kenya's Police spokesman Eric Kiraithe said in brief statement: "one has been sighted on Mt Kenya and another in Meru area." We are still trying to find out finer details of the crash and the search and rescue missions are on-going."
tempest
tempest

http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Mon Aug 13 2012, 11:01

Spartan wrote:
mogen wrote:Uganda Air-Force Mil Mi-24 Helicopters Go Missing in Kenyan Airspace

I didn't know KDF wanted the hinds that bad. All you had to do was ask, not grab them! Just Kidding Laughing. My gut feeling is they are fine and probably in an area where they can't be reached. If it was one, i would be worried.

@Ole Nkarei, you surely know what's going on in your backyard, don't you?

@Spartan
Pole. I see @tempest has posted a link about a clash. How tragic.
More conflicting reports coming through but glad to hear that the crew of 7 in one of the choppers are safe.

Conflicting stories:

"...UPDF officials say the choppers had landed in Wajir for refueling before flying to Somalia..."
http://www.chimpreports.com/index.php/news/5473-breaking-missing-updf-choppers-crashed-in-mt-kenya.html

Another one here:

UPDATE:
"One of the four Ugandan attack helicopters that went missing on Sunday as they flew to Somalia to shore up the final attack on the port city of Kismayu, Somalia, has been found on Mt. Kenya. Military sources say all members of the 7-man crew are safe, and both the Ugandan and Kenyan military are organizing a rescue operation for the MI-23 attack helicopter.

Sources say the rescuers are yet to locate the whereabouts of the other three, all of which had 7 crew members.

The helicopters went missing en route from Kisumu airport to Laikipia base in Kenya. There were conflicting reports about the territory where the helicopters went off radar. Some reports say it was within Kenyan airspace, while others say it was inside Somalia..."
http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/Ugandan+army+helicopters+go+missing+in+Kenya/-/688334/1478076/-/hmm01q/-/index.html
And now, bad weather hampers search and rescue effort
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Poor+weather+hinders+search+for+Ugandas+missing+helicopters/-/1056/1478150/-/15b9bki/-/index.html
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Mon Aug 13 2012, 12:20

I think they flew into bad weather. Mt Kenya is quite nototious for this. However the pilot seems to have radiored for help. Hope they are safe:-

http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/634057-Ugandan-choppers-crashed-in-Kenya.html

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000063954&story_title=Ugandan-choppers-crash-in-Kenya
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 33 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21 ... 33  Next