THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

+46
georiise
firewall
one man army
Mkenya
timoh
Ned Starks Head
Interloper
HokumA
chui
MWAURA
Balozi
mashaa
edmuiru
aggressor one
mJESHI mMOJA
Fabrizio
Analyst
UncleBoni
Kepler-Euler
Al Bashir
MOOZALENDO
kimiti
The Blue
Risasi
proud kenyan
Flying Crane
Mbaine
mbs
Spartan
mambotupu
mekatilili
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Kobooz
Batian
areba
Sierra Kilo
Nesta
cylon
Uzi
tempest
jasiri
Olekoima
Observer
mogen
mwepesi
countersniper
50 posters

Page 17 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Post  edmuiru Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:20

What Crap. No wonder the writer has a permanent head damage(PHD)

edmuiru

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:24

1.A soft sea blockage has lead to arms being delivered via the airports.

2. the enemy is using the airport surveillance radar to tip off his ground positions of any K.E air assets within vicinity of Chai town. cleave guys , me think a foreign Jihadists is thier new Chief of Operations. hii hapana akili ya ma A.S and what took them so long to realise they had that asset under thier noses.

# action: airport facility/buildings “re-arranged” in a surgical night air raid.

a game changer(A.S new Ops Chief). cautious approach and extra time is needed bloggers. we are yet to findout what other new tactics his taught them

Last edited by Risasi on Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:35; edited 1 time in total
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  Batian Wed Sep 26 2012, 11:25

ole Nkarei wrote:As you'll constate after reading the piece below, which is just one of the numerous such propaganda piece written by Zoomaliya diaspora in intelligentsia, the task we face off-field is as great as that we combat in-Theater. Dr. Fatuma Lamungu is PhD International Relations is New York. And is supposedly a " credible authority on the Horn of Africa" the sort that pollutes Washington's Africa Policy "Think-Tanks". Is it any wonder Sammy's Horn of Africa Policy has the appearance of an East African Gnu / Wildebeast?

As AMISOM completes re-engineering the Zoomaliya dynamics in the Horn of Africa these divisive tactics will accelerate their manifestation in all foras where the Zoomaliya subject will be discussed.

For the record there is not a shred of fact nor even credible conjecture in the story by this Fatuma Nur. Greater commentary than that will clothe it with unjustified respectability.

http://somalilandpress.com/somaliaogaden-men-in-kenya-army-launch-“operation-kill-and-exterminate”-in-somalia’s-jubbaland-35389/

It is important to remember Kenya had planned to enter Somalia and almost a year after the plan it got its work successfully cut out. It has neutralized Shabaabs abilty to operate effectively as a terrorist outfit. This should always remain the most valid principle achievement KDF and other stakeholders should maintain. it does not matter who or what Takes the glory of bringing peace in Zomaliya, Like one notable leader saw this in a conference in London not long ago. AMISOM's in-roads and kill capability in mogdisho and Afgoye is as a direct result of KDF naval and air assets. At this point there will be more news of drone strikes capturing Kisimayu from militants and other egregious allegations for their western counterparts and media to digest and still there will come more interlopers taking credit where they did not deserve. .

While these interlopers et al fight for who is who in Somalia, we stand the most to benefit from the geographical proximity and Zomalia's potential being the closest in terms of Economic gain, Agricultural potential. I am sure Kisimayu was more on Ole mans focus than Mogadishu. Kisimayu has an airport, a port and a town not completely dilapidated by years of war and turmoil like moqdisho. That means re-inventing its commerce is a lot easier not forgetting the short distance between Lamu and Kisimayu. Ensuring there is a dearth of commerce once Kismayu comes to life is Sammy's main goal, which is achievable and it is for this reason that Sammy is spending sleepless nights ensuring LAPPSET dies in its grave.
Batian
Batian

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Empty Al Shabaab Fighters Surrender

Post  chui Wed Sep 26 2012, 12:25

[img:f852]https://eastafrican.forumotion.com/Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Somalia-shabaab-defectors[/img]

Al shabaab fighters look like ordinary civilians!! How will KDF distinguish between civilans and combatants???

chui

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Wed Sep 26 2012, 12:52

kdf is doing what is required by taking out the ammunition storage at airport.
next they should land special forces by air to take to facility in full

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000066971&story_title=KDF-jets-destroy-Al-shabaab%E2%80%99s-armoury
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 14:42

aggressor one wrote:
Spartan wrote:
mogen wrote:Reminds of what Gen McCarthy once said when asked why his forces were retreating. He said: '...we are advancing in another direction'

Laughing Laughing Now that was original, and witty.

Retreating serves many purposes, among them;
1. The attack may have lost momentum, so you retreat, re-org and attack with even better force.
2. The ground of tactical importance may be with the enemy, what 'jeshi la mugu' call 'hali ya ardhi'. In that situation, you would rather fight on your ground than on theirs. So you 'withdraw' only to suck them into your current position, and hopefully, give them a hiding.
3. The enemy may have you well mapped out and it's pointless to go on with the fight, especially if they dorminated their ground earlier than you did yours.
4. Psychological warfare.

That retreat, if indeed it happened, could have been done for any number of reasons. The problem is that there's this narrative that Ugandan and Burundian battle groups on the one hand, are not on good terms with their Kenyan counterparts, which I must admit, sells newspapers. I don't know whether it's just me, but I got a strong whiff of that narrative in the SIN report. But that sentiment is wrong and plays into the hands of the enemy of us all.

That's the point I was trying to make in the two posts

A few weeks ago, i read a story in Daily Nation that elements of UPDF and Burundi forces had reached a town called Harbole which is around 80kms from Kismayu. i cross checked through sources in Mogadishu and realized that this was another lie! The forces in Harbole were actually KDF. So i think there is a plan by some people, including the media to create situations that may injure the joint Somali operations.

As far as i know, UPDF and Burundi forces are continuing with their advances in the various sectors under their control. By yesterday, they had gone beyond Marka, moving south-wards and in the north, were in the final stages of capturing Johwar, leaving Baraawe as the only town under Al shabaab in Sector I.

"Typical of the ill-informed reporters. Reminds me of one comment here after the UPDF chopper disaster on Mt. Kenya that stated that these are journalists who write in the comfort of their offices in Nairobi; not even sticking out their heads to check what is going on. A win is a win for the Kenyana people and if we fail will fail as the East African Community. Am proud of our forces and am pretie sure they are going to liberate the Great people of Somalia. The doubting Thomases who are casting aspersions will be shocked. Am waiting to see what Uncle Sammy and Johny will react after the victory.hahaha"

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Empty The End Nears.. AS is pulling out itss own innards and swallowing them without a chew!

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 15:49

AS fractured down a growing fault-line with Foreign Jihadist arrayed against the Zoomaliya elements which is itself scattering to its original components each begging the new Prezzo for "terms". Even Robow is crawling for terms. Were IGAD not inflexible on the conditions for discussion of "terms" ( being a total capitulation of Militarised violences as a philosophy and means of engagement in Zoomaliya by any elements associated with Alshabaab), it is not with doubts these Zoomaliyas wool be seating on some floor somewhere talking terms very much in the manner they are used to over the past twenty years.

The Prezzo has ordered the foreign fighters expelled by indigenous Alshabaab as his precondition to talk terms with these Bandits. Meantime,morbid suspicions against the Kenya jihadist now at maximum - two of the executed on suspicions of laserr-targeting @Risasi's Bomb-run in Kismaayu Airport last night. AS poisons water wells, herding civilians around hard-points and troop areas as human shield. In the weeks coming, I expect a few AS-staged massacres of civilians with international media coverage of these as "KDF" atrocities. If we rush the Kismaayu take-down the way some hot bloods would want, we increase exponentially the risks of an stage-managed collateral. And it is clear that some of our "friends" are seating on the edges of their seats rubbing their hands in just thus anticipation. We gotta do this with clever troops not muscled troops, if you'all get my meaning.

This morning Massed Airborne Drop was a sight to behold, aisee!

Back to top Go down

Post  Uzi Wed Sep 26 2012, 17:19

mogen wrote:
ole Nkarei wrote:As you'll constate after reading the piece below, which is just one of the numerous such propaganda piece written by Zoomaliya diaspora in intelligentsia, the task we face off-field is as great as that we combat in-Theater. Dr. Fatuma Lamungu is PhD International Relations is New York. And is supposedly a " credible authority on the Horn of Africa" the sort that pollutes Washington's Africa Policy "Think-Tanks". Is it any wonder Sammy's Horn of Africa Policy has the appearance of an East African Gnu / Wildebeast?

As AMISOM completes re-engineering the Zoomaliya dynamics in the Horn of Africa these divisive tactics will accelerate their manifestation in all foras where the Zoomaliya subject will be discussed.

For the record there is not a shred of fact nor even credible conjecture in the story by this Fatuma Nur. Greater commentary than that will clothe it with unjustified respectability.

http://somalilandpress.com/somaliaogaden-men-in-kenya-army-launch-“operation-kill-and-exterminate”-in-somalia’s-jubbaland-35389/

@ON
What a horde of rubbish!!! shameless al shabaab sympathizer!! Amazing, there are people who still back the atrocious al kebabs. Perhaps, it is a case of 'the devil you know is preferable to an angel you do not know'. Washindwe.

But on a serious note - for as long as Somali refugees keep fleeing to our country as well as insecurity spilling over we should never accept a lecture from anyone. Al shabaab has caused the deaths of thousands of Somalis. Some murdered just for refusing to let go off their wives. some innocent university graduands etc and no one raises a word. KDF soldier defending his position kills 6 Somalis [can't gurantee they weren't al shabaabs] and the entire world complains. our resolve should be even stronger in the face of all these shenigans.

The al kebabs are simply unable to keep a lid on Somalia and the troubles they are causing there. That is why both the troubles and the refugees cross the border. We, too, have a right to self preservation.

In the meantime, it is interesting to note that Aweys' group, the Hizbul Islam, has announced that it is leaving the al-Shabaabs.

The writer is a PHD holder? Its an insult to academicians. shameful, the article is not worth the paper it was written on.
Uzi
Uzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Observer Wed Sep 26 2012, 18:35

Howdy people, @ON …“This morning Massed Airborne Drop was a sight to behold, aisee!” … must be a major offensive if the Paras are coming from above enmass, any more details within acceptable parameters …

UN funding AS through buying charcoal for use in AMISOM kitchens … http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2012/0921/In-Somalia-UN-charcoal-purchases-could-be-funding-Al-Shabab-terror-group ... how does this sit with the AMISOM, shouldn’t they seek alternative means for preparing their “chow” ?
Observer
Observer

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:28

Observer wrote:Howdy people, @ON …“This morning Massed Airborne Drop was a sight to behold, aisee!” … must be a major offensive if the Paras are coming from above enmass, any more details within acceptable parameters …

UN funding AS through buying charcoal for use in AMISOM kitchens … http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2012/0921/In-Somalia-UN-charcoal-purchases-could-be-funding-Al-Shabab-terror-group ... how does this sit with the AMISOM, shouldn’t they seek alternative means for preparing their “chow” ?

i believe KDF will be the first African force to drop SPECIAL forces by air into combat zone since the second world war if they drop these guys into kismayu...
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:51

@Observer - no details; OpSec. We will get to dissect OLN into detail when Theater closes soon.

But suffice to say the skies in the vicinity of Chai Town looked like a rich Mushroom Shamba early this day, bana!

@C.sniper - the 30th has ran deep insertions into this Theater for much longer than OLN - HALO off the Transporters and riding on the Skids of the little Gunships. Today was not the 30th.

Sorry for the many writing errors lately - I have been posting from a hand-held gizmo under rather uncomfortable circumstances.

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Wed Sep 26 2012, 20:57

ole Nkarei wrote:@Observer - no details; OpSec. We will get to dissect OLN into detail when Theater closes soon.

But suffice to say the skies in the vicinity of Chai Town looked like a rich Mushroom Shanna early this day, bana!

@C.sniper - the 30th has ran deep insertions into this Theater for much longer than OLN - HALO off the Transporters and riding on the Skids of the little Gunships. Today was not the 30th.

are we seeing a complete job in chai town by the mid October ?... it is a desirable outcome to avoid the rainy season at end of October
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 26 2012, 21:05

If it was a purely Military consideration, hii chai tungelikunyua kitambo sana. The Political Angle is vitally important to avoid us getting bogged down in Zoomaliya after close of present engagement. So we go in tandem with the dynamics of the ongoing political process.
Eeeeiiish!!

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Thu Sep 27 2012, 03:40

mogen wrote:
jasiri wrote:Radio Andalus, Al Shabab's satanic mouthpiece fell silent this afteroon. Al-Kebab skipping town with their Jicho Bovu in tow?

@Jas
I hear the al sheytans have literary fled Chai Town.

My Somali source says: All reports and al kebab movements in the last 48hrs confirm clear signs of defeat. Closed most of their key offices in town, all prisoners were set free, their radio out of air. They did several attempts of forceful recruits early in the morning & leadership took off from the town. Latest unanimous voices through the VOA Somali Service confirms their total departure from the city apparently setting base in the jungle outside the city and some heading to safer ground farther away. According to my source, it's a matter of hours before the KDF & the joint forces take full control of the city.

As they run, many of them will be caught at the border trying to sneak back into the country after their failed experiment

"Kenya Defence Forces ‏@kdfinfo tweeting:
KDF border patrol engage Shabaab infiltrators at Kolbiyo today. 2 Shabaab killed 3 escape back into Somalia. 2 KDF soldiers slightly injured"

And: I hear that KDF is now airlifting water to allied troops in Jana Abdalla where the alshaytans a water well and vandalized another. The guys are are really devilish. Don't care about the hundreds of civilians who use the wells as their source of water.

In the meantime, I wonder whose ships are also bombing al shabaab bases in Kismayu.

AllAfrica.com wrote:Warships Bomb Kismayo PortSomalia: Warships Bomb Kismayo Port
26 SEPTEMBER 2012

Kismayo — Unknown warships off the Somali coast bombarded Somalia's southern port city of Kismayo, 500 Km south of Mogadishu, Somali capital on Wednesday afternoon, forcing local residents to flee, reports said.

Kismayo residents, who requested anonymity, told Shabelle Media station in Mogadishu via telephone that the warships shelled villages in the heart of the rebel-held town on Wednesday, saying it was an apparent strike on Islamist militants' bases..."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201209261408.html
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:22

Risasi wrote:
jasiri wrote:@Risasi, what gives? I saw a very interesting visitor to HKNW today. Any chance the KDF has anything to do with this one? Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Saab_310 Saab launches affordable maritime surveillance aircraft

???no idea. Is she a frequent visitor??

I think it’s an asset taking as sip to or from the SA defense exhibition

deconstructor on Sun Sep 23 2012, 08:48.If the G3 were to be replaced which assault rifle would be best for KDF? HK 416? AK12?.

Deconstructor my man go through earlier pages of KDF you find the answer/answers. Familiarize yourself with previous discussions or you might be listed as an irrelevant inquirer.
Confirmed with snippets from ATC, it was an asset from AAD in S.A
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:29

Risasi wrote:1.A soft sea blockage has lead to arms being delivered via the airports.

2. the enemy is using the airport surveillance radar to tip off his ground positions of any K.E air assets within vicinity of Chai town. cleave guys , me think a foreign Jihadists is thier new Chief of Operations. hii hapana akili ya ma A.S and what took them so long to realise they had that asset under thier noses.

# action: airport facility/buildings “re-arranged” in a surgical night air raid.

a game changer(A.S new Ops Chief). cautious approach and extra time is needed bloggers. we are yet to findout what other new tactics his taught them
Why can't the KDF-AF simply 'take down' the Radar? At first we advocated for cratering of the runway after the Eritrean arms non-incident but no one listened. We wouldn't be having this problem as it is.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Thu Sep 27 2012, 11:55

This guy may be wrong but he eerily echoes my thoughts. I never believed that Hizb-Ul-Islam can trully be genuine about their intentions. http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Planned_infiltration_of_Somalia_security_forces_by_Al_Shabaab_sources.shtml
The sources raised concerns about the series of seemingly inter-connected developments in Mogadishu. The plan is for Al Shabaab fighters to “re-brand” themselves as Hizbul Islam members, according to our sources.

“Hizbul Islam would enter into negotiations with the Somali government with the ultimate outcome of a peace deal that would pave the way for Al Shabaab fighters to join and indeed infiltrate the national security forces, which have been trained over recent years with considerable Western funding and technical assistance, through the AMISOM mission in Mogadishu,” said one well-informed source
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Thu Sep 27 2012, 12:09

mogen wrote:
mogen wrote:
jasiri wrote:Radio Andalus, Al Shabab's satanic mouthpiece fell silent this afteroon. Al-Kebab skipping town with their Jicho Bovu in tow?

@Jas
I hear the al sheytans have literary fled Chai Town.

My Somali source says: All reports and al kebab movements in the last 48hrs confirm clear signs of defeat. Closed most of their key offices in town, all prisoners were set free, their radio out of air. They did several attempts of forceful recruits early in the morning & leadership took off from the town. Latest unanimous voices through the VOA Somali Service confirms their total departure from the city apparently setting base in the jungle outside the city and some heading to safer ground farther away. According to my source, it's a matter of hours before the KDF & the joint forces take full control of the city.

As they run, many of them will be caught at the border trying to sneak back into the country after their failed experiment

"Kenya Defence Forces ‏@kdfinfo tweeting:
KDF border patrol engage Shabaab infiltrators at Kolbiyo today. 2 Shabaab killed 3 escape back into Somalia. 2 KDF soldiers slightly injured"

And: I hear that KDF is now airlifting water to allied troops in Jana Abdalla where the alshaytans a water well and vandalized another. The guys are are really devilish. Don't care about the hundreds of civilians who use the wells as their source of water.

In the meantime, I wonder whose ships are also bombing al shabaab bases in Kismayu.

AllAfrica.com wrote:Warships Bomb Kismayo PortSomalia: Warships Bomb Kismayo Port
26 SEPTEMBER 2012

Kismayo — Unknown warships off the Somali coast bombarded Somalia's southern port city of Kismayo, 500 Km south of Mogadishu, Somali capital on Wednesday afternoon, forcing local residents to flee, reports said.

Kismayo residents, who requested anonymity, told Shabelle Media station in Mogadishu via telephone that the warships shelled villages in the heart of the rebel-held town on Wednesday, saying it was an apparent strike on Islamist militants' bases..."

Mogen it was the KDF.
Kenyan military spokesman Cyrus Oguna said the Kenyan navy shelled rebel gun placements on the jetty at Kismayu on Wednesday morning, after fighter jets launched air strikes on a warehouse and armory near the airport on Tuesday.

"It is what we call shaping up operations for the eventual attack on Kismayu. The attack by ground forces is not yet (on). What we hit yesterday are targets we have been mapping for some time," Oguna told Reuters
http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Kenyan_navy_hits_Somali_rebels_ahead_of_main_offensive.shtml
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Thu Sep 27 2012, 13:50

jasiri wrote:This guy may be wrong but he eerily echoes my thoughts. I never believed that Hizb-Ul-Islam can trully be genuine about their intentions. http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Planned_infiltration_of_Somalia_security_forces_by_Al_Shabaab_sources.shtml
The sources raised concerns about the series of seemingly inter-connected developments in Mogadishu. The plan is for Al Shabaab fighters to “re-brand” themselves as Hizbul Islam members, according to our sources.

“Hizbul Islam would enter into negotiations with the Somali government with the ultimate outcome of a peace deal that would pave the way for Al Shabaab fighters to join and indeed infiltrate the national security forces, which have been trained over recent years with considerable Western funding and technical assistance, through the AMISOM mission in Mogadishu,” said one well-informed source

Al Shabaab may be rehabilitated and assisted to get vocational training and gainful employment but should not be allowed anywhere near security forces jobs. Afghanistan has taught people valuable lessons.
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  Uzi Thu Sep 27 2012, 14:16

Sorry guys i know its the wrong forum but hey, Pole sana Nyong'o M7 listens http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/635685-gov-t-hailed-for-doubling-doctors-pay.html
utatoa wapi madaktari?
Uzi
Uzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 27 2012, 15:07

chui wrote:[img:a08d]https://eastafrican.forumotion.com/Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Somalia-shabaab-defectors[/img]

Al shabaab fighters look like ordinary civilians!! How will KDF distinguish between civilans and combatants???

@chui. Rightfully so..... Off course being a rag-tag military outfit you cannot distinguish. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Ned Starks Head Thu Sep 27 2012, 20:39

ole Nkarei wrote:@Observer - no details; OpSec. We will get to dissect OLN into detail when Theater closes soon.

But suffice to say the skies in the vicinity of Chai Town looked like a rich Mushroom Shamba early this day, bana!

Sorry for the many writing errors lately - I have been posting from a hand-held gizmo under rather uncomfortable circumstances.

Wow airborne operations. I notice its not clear whether it was just materiel drops or men and materiel.
But whatever the case it made me scratch my head and ask what aircraft was the drops done off. Only aircraft I know in the inventory that might be able to do that job are the DHC-5's.

It also made me wonder why airborne operations were being used (potentially the deadliest way to insert soldiers into an AO.) Only thing I could come up with is a cut them off at the pass type of op for AS hooligans that are streaming out of K-town to establish themselves elsewhere.

In any case I'm not necessarily looking for answer for you OLNK (opsec and all) but its something for the rest of us forummers to chew on and perhaps theorize on if thats O.K.

BTW Bullet man how come you have never asked me what my avatar was. After our long drawn out discussions from earlier in the year I would have expected you to at least recognize the said beast Smile
Ned Starks Head
Ned Starks Head

Back to top Go down

Post  Observer Thu Sep 27 2012, 22:09

@"Ned Starks Head I reckon the. DHC-5 Buffalo does a decent job on drops, hav witness many drops over Lanet and Gilgil, actually once in Gilgil the Buffalo landed on an open field 'rugged but generally flat" near the Para base a couple of times to pick and drop troops, it was impressive... It's load would be minimal though, but for SF 4O or so boots are not a small number, hav also seen Pumas do high altitude drops with the "Green Eagles"
Observer
Observer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ned Starks Head Thu Sep 27 2012, 22:31

Observer wrote:@"Ned Starks Head I reckon the. DHC-5 Buffalo does a decent job on drops, hav witness many drops over Lanet and Gilgil, actually once in Gilgil the Buffalo landed on an open field 'rugged but generally flat" near the Para base a couple of times to pick and drop troops, it was impressive... It's load would be minimal though, but for SF 4O or so boots are not a small number, hav also seen Pumas do high altitude drops with the "Green Eagles"

Hi Observer,

Yup I don't doubt the effectiveness of the Buffalo in terms of its STOL capabilities. I suspect even after all these years there are few aircraft that match its ruggedness and general ability to fly from rough and ready conditions.
You got it in one though with the concern of pay load, this was what my concern was as well how many paras can you drop from the Dash5. I think your number of 40 is a little high considering the aircraft can transport around that number of troops. I would hazard with paras and all their associated equipment the stick size becomes smaller in a Dash5. However your number of 40 maybe correct and mine wrong not sure until I do a little bit more research on it. However my initial gut feel is that it would be difficult to airdrop 40 dudes from a buffalo.

I also considered a helo drop which is also a valid insertion method but dismissed it for the same size of payload argument. Which is what brings me back to my original question of what would the purpose of using parachute insertion be if you are only looking at inserting around 40 people. Would it not make more sense to use aircav style heli borne operations instead i.e. you can achieve the same rapidity of deployment without the extra risk of combat jumps. (Combat jumps are often counted differently than normal jumps - think about what that says of the dangers of combat jumping).

Before anyone bites my head off for second guessing a military operation I am indeed not doing that. I for instance have no idea of why para insertion was considered, I have no idea of the numbers involved, nor the time scales. As an armchair quarterback I am just hoping to elicit some discussion that is all.

Ned Starks Head
Ned Starks Head

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Fri Sep 28 2012, 06:42

[quote="jasiri"][quote="mogen"]
mogen wrote:
jasiri wrote:....

Mogen it was the KDF.
Kenyan military spokesman Cyrus Oguna said the Kenyan navy shelled rebel gun placements on the jetty at Kismayu on Wednesday morning, after fighter jets launched air strikes on a warehouse and armory near the airport on Tuesday.

"It is what we call shaping up operations for the eventual attack on Kismayu. The attack by ground forces is not yet (on). What we hit yesterday are targets we have been mapping for some time," Oguna told Reuters
http://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/publish/Somalia_27/Kenyan_navy_hits_Somali_rebels_ahead_of_main_offensive.shtml

Thanks, @Jas.
I was wondering whether Sammy and his friends were readying their knives for the 'harvest' now that others have preparedthe fields.
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Fri Sep 28 2012, 06:48

Ned Starks Head wrote:
Observer wrote:@"Ned Starks Head I reckon the. DHC-5 Buffalo does a decent job on drops, hav witness many drops over Lanet and Gilgil, actually once in Gilgil the Buffalo landed on an open field 'rugged but generally flat" near the Para base a couple of times to pick and drop troops, it was impressive... It's load would be minimal though, but for SF 4O or so boots are not a small number, hav also seen Pumas do high altitude drops with the "Green Eagles"

Hi Observer,

Yup I don't doubt the effectiveness of the Buffalo in terms of its STOL capabilities. I suspect even after all these years there are few aircraft that match its ruggedness and general ability to fly from rough and ready conditions.
You got it in one though with the concern of pay load, this was what my concern was as well how many paras can you drop from the Dash5. I think your number of 40 is a little high considering the aircraft can transport around that number of troops. I would hazard with paras and all their associated equipment the stick size becomes smaller in a Dash5. However your number of 40 maybe correct and mine wrong not sure until I do a little bit more research on it. However my initial gut feel is that it would be difficult to airdrop 40 dudes from a buffalo.

I also considered a helo drop which is also a valid insertion method but dismissed it for the same size of payload argument. Which is what brings me back to my original question of what would the purpose of using parachute insertion be if you are only looking at inserting around 40 people. Would it not make more sense to use aircav style heli borne operations instead i.e. you can achieve the same rapidity of deployment without the extra risk of combat jumps. (Combat jumps are often counted differently than normal jumps - think about what that says of the dangers of combat jumping).

Before anyone bites my head off for second guessing a military operation I am indeed not doing that. I for instance have no idea of why para insertion was considered, I have no idea of the numbers involved, nor the time scales. As an armchair quarterback I am just hoping to elicit some discussion that is all.

@Observer & NSH. Couldn't the KDF cure the payload problem by using more than one 'vehicle'?
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Empty breaking news: KDF takes control of Kismayu

Post  mogen Fri Sep 28 2012, 08:10

@KDFinfo tweeting

"KDF TROOPS HAVE TAKEN CONTROL OF KISMAYU!!! Residents are advised to avoid areas where KDF & SNA troops are to avoid collateral damage."
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  timoh Fri Sep 28 2012, 08:56

mogen wrote:@KDFinfo tweeting

"KDF TROOPS HAVE TAKEN CONTROL OF KISMAYU!!! Residents are advised to avoid areas where KDF & SNA troops are to avoid collateral damage."
yea, can't how great it felt seeing the breaking news on,.http://www.nation.co.ke/News/-/1056/1519930/-/xttin6z/-/index.html.....FINALLY!! Great work KDF whoever thought of a career army...tsk! looking forward to the post kismayu OLN analysis Laughing
timoh
timoh

Back to top Go down

Post  Observer Fri Sep 28 2012, 09:10

[/quote]

@Observer & NSH. Couldn't the KDF cure the payload problem by using more than one 'vehicle'?[/quote]

@Mogen, definitely a couple of DHC-5's would have a full COY on the ground in no time...must hav been the big push into Chai... The hit on the Airport was part of the plan it seems...
Observer
Observer

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 17 Empty Re:Kenya Defence Forces

Post  proud kenyan Fri Sep 28 2012, 09:28

ole Nkarei wrote:

This morning Massed Airborne Drop was a sight to behold, aisee!

@ON please pass the contact details of the tutor who passed unto you the art of veiled passing foward of info,congrats to you uniforms and hoping the theatre closes soon for op dissection.

@nedstark, am not sure th planes are part of our inventory but wikipedia has also listed the CASA spanish planes which could do a similar job as the buffaloes (which still is my favourite transporter coz of its noise as it passes over). i believe the air drop of the troops over theatre was supposed to catch them buggers off guard as i believe they were used to seeing a column of vehicles for their defences to begin operating..more discreeet in this case.

so it seems that the KDF are the first african military since WW2 to insert troops by airdrop..good stuff.
will we now revert to seeing our birds flying over on the national holidays,really need to see those birds causing camel infertility in the NFD
the tweeting major says assault was form the beach..a first ever for african forcess.seems to be a day of firsts.and with no troop casualties,WOW!

proud kenyan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 34  Next