THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Force

+34
MOOZALENDO
mambotupu
mJESHI mMOJA
Nesta
mashaa
Fabrizio
mwepesi
Batian
mekatilili
Analyst
Ned Starks Head
Al Bashir
UncleBoni
one man army
tempest
Kobooz
mbs
Interloper
timoh
Flying Crane
Risasi
MWAURA
vince
Olekoima
livefire
Ole Sidai
Sierra Kilo
jasiri
kimiti
Spartan
cylon
countersniper
Mbaine
areba
38 posters

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Force

Post  tempest Sun Mar 04 2012, 02:24

cylon wrote:
There was also a website talking about Tz Airforce getting Mig-29 but i couldnt confirm the story. does anybody know about this?

The "Fulcrums for Tanzania" rumour has been around for a while. I gave it a lot of time and came out with nothing.

http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/doc/5166112

Vedomosti reports that the MiG aircraft corporation will sell six MiG-29 fighters to Tanzania for around $50 million.

kms1.isn.ethz.ch/serviceengine/Files/ISN/.../mdb_2_2008.pdf
By early 2000 it was negotiating the sale of MiG-29 to Chad (four units), Uganda (six) and Tanzania (six fighters). And it signed a formal contract with the Democratic Republic of Congo for the delivery of four MiG-29. However, for a number of mainly financial reasons, not one of these projects was implemented, and the market has gradually come to be dominated by Chinese production.
tempest
tempest

http://www.zimbabwedefence.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Sun Mar 04 2012, 03:23

tempest wrote:
cylon wrote:
There was also a website talking about Tz Airforce getting Mig-29 but i couldnt confirm the story. does anybody know about this?

The "Fulcrums for Tanzania" rumour has been around for a while. I gave it a lot of time and came out with nothing.

http://dlib.eastview.com/browse/doc/5166112

Vedomosti reports that the MiG aircraft corporation will sell six MiG-29 fighters to Tanzania for around $50 million.

kms1.isn.ethz.ch/serviceengine/Files/ISN/.../mdb_2_2008.pdf
By early 2000 it was negotiating the sale of MiG-29 to Chad (four units), Uganda (six) and Tanzania (six fighters). And it signed a formal contract with the Democratic Republic of Congo for the delivery of four MiG-29. However, for a number of mainly financial reasons, not one of these projects was implemented, and the market has gradually come to be dominated by Chinese production.

They are dragging their feet as i see it but who knows probably this is there year since they need to protect that vast offshore gas field from external agression.
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Sun Mar 04 2012, 04:53

@cyclon those are just pictures of Russian boat post a link. As far as I know te Tz doenst have the required dockyard to facilite and service ships of similar dimentions. The Tz Marine patrolling unit that owns several small boat get over haul service in Msa Afrcian Marine Co. our navy is also limited by the Dockyard facilities at motongwe otherwise there several large boat easy to grab. KDF –N has 4 large boats the Nyayo class and several small boat operated by the SBS (small boat squadron). Manda has no way other then to go up to in order to fit in a puzzle.
@Mig-Tz finance doom the deal and opt for a new Mig-21 …may risasi can dwell on it.
@tempest Bravo avatar ……..Zimbabwe AF.
@Vitruvian take it easy
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Sun Mar 04 2012, 05:53

mJESHI mMOJA wrote:@cyclon those are just pictures of Russian boat post a link. As far as I know te Tz doenst have the required dockyard to facilite and service ships of similar dimentions. The Tz Marine patrolling unit that owns several small boat get over haul service in Msa Afrcian Marine Co. our navy is also limited by the Dockyard facilities at motongwe otherwise there several large boat easy to grab. KDF –N has 4 large boats the Nyayo class and several small boat operated by the SBS (small boat squadron). Manda has no way other then to go up to in order to fit in a puzzle.
@Mig-Tz finance doom the deal and opt for a new Mig-21 …may risasi can dwell on it.
@tempest Bravo avatar ……..Zimbabwe AF.
@Vitruvian take it easy

The government of tanzania and working with the mineral/oil industries to expand TZ various ports. And on the naval side i would like to think they are included in the expansion. i read somewhere about this but its really hard sometimes online to dig for information that is 3 to 5 years behind. But they are looking at those russian ships because they are ready to be decom.

http://www.dailynews.co.tz/home/?n=12774&cat=home

http://invest-in.tanzania.ru/infrastructure.htm

Also it look like Amisom will be getting some few upgrades in the near future. Good job Amisom Command for finally leaving crazy town extending those defenses

http://www.mareeg.com/fidsan.php?sid=20236&tirsan=3

http://www.mareeg.com/fidsan.php?sid=23256&tirsan=3
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Empty Mareeg

Post  MOOZALENDO Sun Mar 04 2012, 09:19

lol! This is worse than the siNer's blog, bwana cylon. By the way is it Cyclon or Cylon? I do get confused. Seriously, I find mareeg too marginal as a source to link to?

Moozalendo
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Sun Mar 04 2012, 12:45

mJESHI mMOJA wrote: @tempest Bravo avatar ……..Zimbabwe AF.
Thanks. It is a "special version" (my own) as the actual AFZ is missing the star. I just cut the whole thing out of the flag.
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Sun Mar 04 2012, 13:13

MOOZALENDO wrote:lol! This is worse than the siNer's blog, bwana cylon. By the way is it Cyclon or Cylon? I do get confused. Seriously, I find mareeg too marginal as a source to link to?

Moozalendo

Its Cylon, i will keep looking until i find a good souce of juicy Intel
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Empty BLOG(ER) ASSESSMENT AND RESPONSE

Post  Spartan Sun Mar 04 2012, 13:35

No one wants their country, organisation, blog posts or reputation to be maligned on blogs such as this one. The USAF has an assessment flow chart for such situations. We could all learn from it. Ama!?
Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 3154057414_f797f3fc16_o
Spartan
Spartan

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Empty source credibility guideline

Post  Analyst Sun Mar 04 2012, 13:45

Spartan wrote:No one wants their country, organisation, blog posts or reputation to be maligned on blogs such as this one. The USAF has an assessment flow chart for such situations. We could all learn from it. Ama!?
Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 3154057414_f797f3fc16_o

we need credible sources hence these are the guidelines.

http://www.wikihow.com/Evaluate-the-Credibility-of-a-Source

http://www.tammypayton.net/courses/search/credible2.shtml

Analyst

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:24

a bit off on the Indo-Franco Rafale deal...It seems that the Indians awarding the contract for the mmrca to rafale was not so much about quality as it was for strategic interests. In 2010 when Pakistan was inducting it's first thunder birds, they approeached the french to arm their birds with MICA missiles and r-400 radar. The indians seeking to prevent this, arm twited the french into denying the paks this by threatening to cancel the contracts they already have sealed(multi milion dollar contract with DCNS) to sweeten the deal they also threw in the rafale into the mix. deny the paks a handfulof radars and missiles and we we will order 126 combat jets from u.

@blog(esp risasi) still onto my pet topic of the month, the FC-1. Now that the Kenya Air Force is acquiring the Eagle, a need for a second tier combat warplane will definately arise (You can't just deploy a flight of two long range f-15's to scare away militias). Seeing that the f-5's will now probably be retired, will we see the entry of the thunder into our air force? in short, what bird wil replace the tiger?
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Sun Mar 04 2012, 18:57

cylon wrote:Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnUD54kVQRngwjWskHXU4OTD6LwrwPOUl2ieGVMq2WVxIjrQO_9Q

Looks like the Tanzania navy is willing to purchase these 2 Russian naval frigates to begin offshore patrols to protect the vast offshore gas fields
Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFbtsP4V8kd6PegSmxBvBeYIYaPteyRiOe5K3k2TkpOSDi10l6GA

A mid 80's neustrashmyy class frigate and a mid 60's nanuchka class corvette? Someone in kaka blaza's military planning dept must be dead asleep! how long do they expect to kep this in service? even with mid-life(late life?) upgrades? the cost of modernising and crewing them only to be retired after a decade makes this a very unwise choice. in my opinion, they are beter off with one new and capable PB, like the Australian Armidale class, and a couple of super-dvora type speedboats for high sped interception. surelly there must be something better than a duo of soviet floating cans.Shocked Shocked Shocked
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  MWAURA Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:04

I request Admin to create a column where offending member can be voted
out and subsequently suspended or deleted. By whatever means
gentlemen,sanity must prevail. In all blogs I patronize like
cnn,Huffington post,Redstate and military alike,ADMIN OR MODERATOR
always fires his GPMG whenever necessary. Guys,do not retreat into your
handaki. Ambia CSM/Adm atengeneze orders na kazi iendelee!!!! Btw,Man To
Man;Am Better.
I said the same after it became clear the offender not only ignored all suggestions and hints but went into full on self aggrandisement. Kib'z,bravotwozero and vitruvian I'm with you on this: I can't bear to see this place turned into one man's forum for disneyland/chest thumping/lecturing. I'm off til things change.

MWAURA

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:09

MWAURA wrote:I said the same after it became clear the offender not only ignored all suggestions and hints but went into full on self aggrandisement. Kib'z,bravotwozero and vitruvian I'm with you on this: I can't bear to see this place turned into one man's forum for disneyland/chest thumping/lecturing. I'm off til things change.

lets just drop this Mwara, we are draging this and it's kiling the debate. I think all parties concerned have got the mesage.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Sun Mar 04 2012, 19:14

The MMRCA deal is said to be potentially worth or $20b overtime. If I approximate that the French would have made $5m-$10m per JF-17, then 300 units woul have given the French at most $3b Pakistan money.

I general, India is more powerful economically and a "better" partner.

With the benchmarking the Chinese did with other radars to develop the KLJ-7, I woul be suprised is the RC-400 is that much far advanced. In the KLJ-7, they Chinese are not trying to create their best radar ... ... the RC-400 is not the Franch's best either. I would like to think if they Chinese felt like they were loosing a valuable sale, they could/did allowed more tech into the KLJ-7 to apease the PAF.

Please note that the Chinese are still offering the Grifo S-7 as the Falcon-S7 for the FC-17 here http://www.catic.com.cn/indexPortal/home/index.do?cmd=goToChannel&cid=928&columnid=2123&cpid=1656&columnType=102&likeType=view&ckw=AR&lang=US&dataid=4323#

My classic biased thinking would say the Grifo and the RC-400 are GOOD WESTERN radar and better than the KLJ-7. However, that PAF took the KLJ-7 and left the Grifo S-7 on the table says to me the Chinese radar is a strong competitor. I am not sure how the SD-10/PL-9C/PL-5EII compares to the MICA ... ... that might be the actual sweetner.
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:12

tempest wrote:The MMRCA deal is said to be potentially worth or $20b overtime. If I approximate that the French would have made $5m-$10m per JF-17, then 300 units woul have given the French at most $3b Pakistan money.

I general, India is more powerful economically and a "better" partner.

With the benchmarking the Chinese did with other radars to develop the KLJ-7, I woul be suprised is the RC-400 is that much far advanced. In the KLJ-7, they Chinese are not trying to create their best radar ... ... the RC-400 is not the Franch's best either. I would like to think if they Chinese felt like they were loosing a valuable sale, they could/did allowed more tech into the KLJ-7 to apease the PAF.

Please note that the Chinese are still offering the Grifo S-7 as the Falcon-S7 for the FC-17 here http://www.catic.com.cn/indexPortal/home/index.do?cmd=goToChannel&cid=928&columnid=2123&cpid=1656&columnType=102&likeType=view&ckw=AR&lang=US&dataid=4323#

My classic biased thinking would say the Grifo and the RC-400 are GOOD WESTERN radar and better than the KLJ-7. However, that PAF took the KLJ-7 and left the Grifo S-7 on the table says to me the Chinese radar is a strong competitor. I am not sure how the SD-10/PL-9C/PL-5EII compares to the MICA ... ... that might be the actual sweetner.

I think what roped in the Pakis is the fact that they were allowed to license build their own KLJ-7. This means to them that in future they could tinker with the radar as much as they wanted to without neccesarily looking over the border for help. but loking at the capbilities of both radars, from my uniformed p.o.v, i'd say that the MICA was the game changer here. anyway with the proliferation going on, i wouldn't be surprised if the French allowed a downgraded version to filter to the paks through a chinese license production regime.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Sidai Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:13

[quote="MWAURA"]
I request Admin to create a column where offending member can be voted
out and subsequently suspended or deleted. By whatever means
gentlemen,sanity must prevail

I said the same after it became clear the offender not only ignored all suggestions and hints but went into full on self aggrandisement. Kib'z,bravotwozero and vitruvian I'm with you on this: I can't bear to see this place turned into one man's forum for disneyland/chest thumping/lecturing. I'm off til things change.

@Mwaura. I adopted "Surrender as a tactic". In a thousand sorties of sentences,there is one word that might hit the target. Lets move on guys.

@ON. You were very precise on K60. My doubts were based on distances v birds endurance esp rotors. I blasted couple of emails and can't believe the theatre am missing! Hope you guys will develop real live movies from OLN. In my view,it is most advanced and most tactical ops of it kind in that continent. And still sammy and cousins don't believe our region is of age. Congrats to all participants esp that monster Ngondi.....I kidda see his monster knowledge all over theatre!!!

Last edited by Ole Sidai on Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:19; edited 1 time in total
Ole Sidai
Ole Sidai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ned Starks Head Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:16

jasiri wrote:a bit off on the Indo-Franco Rafale deal...It seems that the Indians awarding the contract for the mmrca to rafale was not so much about quality as it was for strategic interests. In 2010 when Pakistan was inducting it's first thunder birds, they approeached the french to arm their birds with MICA missiles and r-400 radar. The indians seeking to prevent this, arm twited the french into denying the paks this by threatening to cancel the contracts they already have sealed(multi milion dollar contract with DCNS) to sweeten the deal they also threw in the rafale into the mix. deny the paks a handfulof radars and missiles and we we will order 126 combat jets from u.

@blog(esp risasi) still onto my pet topic of the month, the FC-1. Now that the Kenya Air Force is acquiring the Eagle, a need for a second tier combat warplane will definately arise (You can't just deploy a flight of two long range f-15's to scare away militias). Seeing that the f-5's will now probably be retired, will we see the entry of the thunder into our air force? in short, what bird wil replace the tiger?

Hi Jas,
I'm not sure I agree about your assesment about the Rafale. From all indications the Rafale carried out the brunt of the sorties especially A2G in the Libyan conflict. It outperformed the taiphoon in many ways in terms of multirole capability. I think its quality is hard to dismiss - especially if it does get the AESA RBE2 when developed.
But in another way I agree with you that they bought it for strategic interests i.e. avoid sanctions if they decide to let off another firecracker.
However to think of it as having such a huge acquisition ~20billion just so your unfriendly neighbor can't get a hold of some older tech, I don't think would have played such a big part in their calculations.

With regards to the KAF I can see where your getting at with a Hi-Lo mix but can the KAF afford such a setup or would the money better be spent on concentrating on a single type of airframe?

Speaking of Uncle Foos birds - Tempest would you care to comment on the Uncle Foo's birds especially the F7 while in service with the AFZ. Were they considered good pieces of equipment compared to their russian counterparts. Again please only what you feel comfortable discussing or if its open source.
Ned Starks Head
Ned Starks Head

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Sun Mar 04 2012, 20:38

Ned Starks Head wrote:However to think of it as having such a huge acquisition ~20billion just so your unfriendly neighbor can't get a hold of some older tech, I don't think would have played such a big part in their calculations.

With regards to the KAF I can see where your getting at with a Hi-Lo mix but can the KAF afford such a setup or would the money better be spent on concentrating on a single type of airframe?

@Mwaura they already had a pending contract for the delivery of six scorpene subs and supply of material for the INS Arihant. so technicaly the French were the ones protecting their market. i have no doubt India would have retaliated by cancelling this and optin for the Rssian lada class subs. More advanced than the scorpene anyway and they already have a working relation with the Russians. The radar wasn;t the problem, the missiles were. Pakistani F-16's whipped Indian MiGs suring the war and if they got MICA's inducted, considering they haven't tested the combat abilities of the Thunder, Patel would be in deep shit.

The air force has no choice. As soon as they opted for the F-15 they had to know that a low entry fighter would be needed for skirmish type confrontations. deploying a twin engined bird of the EAgles size for skirmishes is just way to over the line. It's like deploying a Vickers for Pokot-Karamoja catle rustling excapades.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Ned Starks Head Sun Mar 04 2012, 21:22

jasiri wrote:
@Mwaura they already had a pending contract for the delivery of six scorpene subs and supply of material for the INS Arihant. so technicaly the French were the ones protecting their market. i have no doubt India would have retaliated by cancelling this and optin for the Rssian lada class subs. More advanced than the scorpene anyway and they already have a working relation with the Russians. The radar wasn;t the problem, the missiles were. Pakistani F-16's whipped Indian MiGs suring the war and if they got MICA's inducted, considering they haven't tested the combat abilities of the Thunder, Patel would be in deep shit.

The air force has no choice. As soon as they opted for the F-15 they had to know that a low entry fighter would be needed for skirmish type confrontations. deploying a twin engined bird of the EAgles size for skirmishes is just way to over the line. It's like deploying a Vickers for Pokot-Karamoja catle rustling excapades.

Yes quite possible that business relations between the two would have soured had the Claudes sold tech to the Abduls.
But I was only pointing out your original point of the rafale purchase being a tactic to lock in the french as a seller to the patels only and not the abduls was not entirely correct. I think the purchase of the rafael was actually quite a smart move by the Patels - in terms of their own needs.
Also I didn't quite understand what war you were referring to with regards to efff-16's vs. Migs. I don't think the two have faced off each other in that theater barring some isolated incidents. But lets not digress too much this is not a subcontinental debate after all.

In terms of the KAF yes if you suppose that the eeefff-15 has been acquired then definitely a ground-pounder is essential and the choice of Uncle woos noodles makes sense. Yet I would argue that a better choice would be to scour the globe to find low airframe f-5's and there should be quite a few considering all the countries that deployed that type. The low air frame F-5's if put through a Mig-21 Bis type upgrade could yield quite a potent aircraft at the fraction of the cost of acquiring a new type.

On the other hand if the eeeff-15 is not in the bag i.e. official confirmation of some sort - then I would much prefer that all the budget is allocated to a single type - swing/multi role bird. TBH the eefff-16 late block models are a really good candidate or perhaps even the nordic birds. I would really love to hear from someone in the know about Uncle woo's birds to make a fair judgment about them.
Ned Starks Head
Ned Starks Head

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 21:53

You were very precise on K60. My doubts were based
on distances v birds endurance esp rotors. I blasted couple of emails
and can't believe the theatre am missing! Hope you guys will develop
real live movies from OLN. In my view,it is most advanced and most
tactical ops of it kind in that continent. And still sammy and cousins
don't believe our region is of age.

Those chaps did a great job. It seems KDF may have denied doing it first. The mission I belief was a top secret one and hence Johny Press contact guy was in the dark. That is how the story spread out quickly that it was an attack from abroad.Lol. It didn't help the matter that everyone quotes JP as the gospel truth....according to...

The BBC said
that the Kenyan military, which has conducted airstrikes several
hundreds of miles south in the Kismayo region, denied hitting targets in
the K60 area today.

Read more: http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2012/02/moroccan_jihadist.php#ixzz1oAuBwkHc

Although JP really thinks Africa is just monkeys in a forest.

The BBC reported the strike came from five helicopters. Its
correspondents in Mogadishu, about 35 miles north of the attack, said
the blast was bigger than anything likely carried out by African forces
fighting in the region.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/2012/02/24/Airstrikes-pound-Somalia-after-summit/UPI-43141330100315/#ixzz1oAw7V05N

Good job to all!

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Sun Mar 04 2012, 22:01

The tigers wouldn’t go out of the window the moment a new air bird comes in. a lot has been done in investment and literature it shouldn,t be dispense like that. 10 -15 yre is the official retirement plan.
Contemplation +40pcs Zw-9/Mi-35 around the corner can fill in the blank. Or 12 pcs L-15 trainer/attacker.

+the eagles in question are very diffrent from what you guys know or think they are

@cylon and many you don’t have to run a sophisticated spy ring to decode the next equipment at neighbors. (an eye open to foreign listening ears)
Observe where his kids are fly to for Further studies and training, thats it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjq5HzXwCGk what equipments and philosopher are they learning. You shouldn’t get shocked to see such a fellow that can run the entire night alone tracking an enemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW3AtdyqvY&feature=related

So cyclone at the moment they is no major renovation or upgrade on a TZ-N base. No boat of that capacity is sail in this region.

TZ-AF dropped the Mig29 deal.. and opted for Improved Chinese copy of the MiG-21…the F-7 https://eastafrican.forumotion.com/t3p90-jeshi-la-wananchi-wa-tanzania-jwtz
It’s said they are “BVR READY”. . the right missile a software upgrade and its set to fire.

@ Ned ..am always amused lol! by the French mistrust , they don’t want to share air defense Tech with anyone, even to the best of their best friends in Europe. Most of the E.U AF’s settled for European consortium EADS joint fighter programs; Tornado and now Euro2000 while some with the US on the F-35. but French stuck to their Dassault Aviation Mirages ….all thanks to hard lesson learned from WWII.

ole Sidai
Congrats to all participants esp that monster Ngondi.....I kidda see his monster knowledge all over theatre!!!
A proud para..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usarmyafrica/3723095335/in/set-72157621501311566
he echoed in ECOWAS sectors ..
http://allafrica.com/mobile/stories/201111060066.html
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Sun Mar 04 2012, 22:20

jasiri wrote:
Ned Starks Head wrote:However to think of it as having such a huge acquisition ~20billion just so your unfriendly neighbor can't get a hold of some older tech, I don't think would have played such a big part in their calculations.

Thinking about Vickers do they have the lastest upgrade kits like new firebox,electronics etc and what if they went aganist a t-90 What would be the outcome?
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  cylon Sun Mar 04 2012, 22:36

Risasi wrote:The tigers wouldn’t go out of the window the moment a new air bird comes in. a lot has been done in investment and literature it shouldn,t be dispense like that. 10 -15 yre is the official retirement plan.
Contemplation +40pcs Zw-9/Mi-35 around the corner can fill in the blank. Or 12 pcs L-15 trainer/attacker.

+the eagles in question are very diffrent from what you guys know or think they are

@cylon and many you don’t have to run a sophisticated spy ring to decode the next equipment at neighbors. (an eye open to foreign listening ears)
Observe where his kids are fly to for Further studies and training, thats it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjq5HzXwCGk what equipments and philosopher are they learning. You shouldn’t get shocked to see such a fellow that can run the entire night alone tracking an enemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW3AtdyqvY&feature=related

So cyclone at the moment they is no major renovation or upgrade on a TZ-N base. No boat of that capacity is sail in this region.

Yes i agree not at the moment because Tz are slow in some governmental departments(no disrespect)They will be forced to make that leap in the near future lets say one year or more once KDF is done with somalia the pressure would be on them to handle the goods coming thru tanzania to the congo and to protect those rich off shore gas fields they have.
TZ-AF dropped the Mig29 deal.. and opted for Improved Chinese copy of the MiG-21…the F-7 https://eastafrican.forumotion.com/t3p90-jeshi-la-wananchi-wa-tanzania-jwtz
It’s said they are “BVR READY”. . the right missile a software upgrade and its set to fire.

@ Ned ..am always amused lol! by the French mistrust , they don’t want to share air defense Tech with anyone, even to the best of their best friends in Europe. Most of the E.U AF’s settled for European consortium EADS joint fighter programs; Tornado and now Euro2000 while some with the US on the F-35. but French stuck to their Dassault Aviation Mirages ….all thanks to hard lesson learned from WWII.

ole Sidai
Congrats to all participants esp that monster Ngondi.....I kidda see his monster knowledge all over theatre!!!
A proud para..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usarmyafrica/3723095335/in/set-72157621501311566
he echoed in ECOWAS sectors ..
http://allafrica.com/mobile/stories/201111060066.html
cylon
cylon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 22:58

jasiri wrote:
cylon wrote:Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnUD54kVQRngwjWskHXU4OTD6LwrwPOUl2ieGVMq2WVxIjrQO_9Q

Looks like the Tanzania navy is willing to purchase these 2 Russian naval frigates to begin offshore patrols to protect the vast offshore gas fields
Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFbtsP4V8kd6PegSmxBvBeYIYaPteyRiOe5K3k2TkpOSDi10l6GA

A mid 80's neustrashmyy class frigate and a mid 60's nanuchka class corvette? Someone in kaka blaza's military planning dept must be dead asleep! how long do they expect to kep this in service? even with mid-life(late life?) upgrades? the cost of modernising and crewing them only to be retired after a decade makes this a very unwise choice. in my opinion, they are beter off with one new and capable PB, like the Australian Armidale class, and a couple of super-dvora type speedboats for high sped interception. surelly there must be something better than a duo of soviet floating cans.Shocked Shocked Shocked
Tz they cant afford new boats so they are looking for an old ships that will do the job if i can suffice Tz can actually retrofit these ships they upgrade themselves with help from the chinese of course with new radar, repair all rusting equipment etc,

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:10

Ned Starks Head wrote: Speaking of Uncle Foos birds - Tempest would you care to comment on the Uncle Foo's birds especially the F7 while in service with the AFZ. Were they considered good pieces of equipment compared to their russian counterparts. Again please only what you feel comfortable discussing or if its open source.

They are supposed to very good dog fighters - which was enough for the time they were bought. I believe for the PAF it was prefered for dog fights above the Mirages. I also believe this is why Zimbabwe bought them, considering the AFZ was taking instruction from the PAF who operates the Mirages and F-7s ... ... and Zimbabwe was arming to keep South Africa in check.

I also think for countries like Bangladesh, operating Fulcrums and still buying F-7s, be it for second-line roles, suggest faith in the type.

While I don't know what avionics they have - what i think is interesting is the wikileaks cable out of Botswana with the US Embassy saying the AFZ fighters are more advanced than the CF-5s operated by Botswana ... ... the the Tswana CF-5s are supposed to have some pretty fancy avionics as they were meant to train Canadian personnel for their CF-18s.

The latest F-7s should be pretty good. I cannot wait to see how much Bangladesh is prepared to tell about their F-7BGIs. Their BGs and the Namibian NGs were with Grifo-NG radars. I consider the fact that China was offering the KLJ-6F BVR capable radar for the F-7s as an option, I was to think the NGs should be BVR capable too.

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 BlrV5

Kenya Defence Force - Page 20 2d0ig75
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:13

Ned Starks Head wrote:
In terms of the KAF yes if you suppose that the eeefff-15 has been acquired then definitely a ground-pounder is essential and the choice of Uncle woos noodles makes sense. Yet I would argue that a better choice would be to scour the globe to find low airframe f-5's and there should be quite a few considering all the countries that deployed that type. The low air frame F-5's if put through a Mig-21 Bis type upgrade could yield quite a potent aircraft at the fraction of the cost of acquiring a new type.

On the other hand if the eeeff-15 is not in the bag i.e. official confirmation of some sort - then I would much prefer that all the budget is allocated to a single type - swing/multi role bird. TBH the eefff-16 late block models are a really good candidate or perhaps even the nordic birds. I would really love to hear from someone in the know about Uncle woo's birds to make a fair judgment about them.

Iran has a few f-5's but i dont know what type of condition they are in but i would like to think they were also reverse-engineered just like there f-14's with Russian tech with new engines,electronics etc. Wouldnt the f-18 hornet be a better choice its a muilt/role fighter that would attack like a bomber,reconnaissance,dogfights,etc rather than the f-15 with is just a really good dog-fighter with a 100-0 kill ratio.

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:20

Ned Starks Head wrote: In terms of the KAF yes if you suppose that the eeefff-15 has been acquired then definitely a ground-pounder is essential and the choice of Uncle woos noodles makes sense. Yet I would argue that a better choice would be to scour the globe to find low airframe f-5's and there should be quite a few considering all the countries that deployed that type. The low air frame F-5's if put through a Mig-21 Bis type upgrade could yield quite a potent aircraft at the fraction of the cost of acquiring a new type.

I was going through why KAF would have gone for the F-15s. ... ??? ... The USA is using F-16s to good effects in Iraq and Afganistan. The US also strengthened the Pakistani F-16 so PAF can tackle insurgents. i.e. the F-16 is very cable and will do a great job for the KAF. I have there concluded that by looking at Somalia and AS, I am being blinkered and trying to limit Kenya's plans. I believe the F-15 are meant to address bigger concerns than AS!
tempest
tempest

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:23

jasiri wrote:a bit off on the Indo-Franco Rafale deal...It seems that the Indians awarding the contract for the mmrca to rafale was not so much about quality as it was for strategic interests. In 2010 when Pakistan was inducting it's first thunder birds, they approeached the french to arm their birds with MICA missiles and r-400 radar. The indians seeking to prevent this, arm twited the french into denying the paks this by threatening to cancel the contracts they already have sealed(multi milion dollar contract with DCNS) to sweeten the deal they also threw in the rafale into the mix. deny the paks a handfulof radars and missiles and we we will order 126 combat jets from u.

I read somewhere that the f-5's would be donated to the Goss to help them protect there airspace from northern aggression. Does kenya train any south sudanese fighter pilots?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:26

tempest wrote:
Ned Starks Head wrote: In terms of the KAF yes if you suppose that the eeefff-15 has been acquired then definitely a ground-pounder is essential and the choice of Uncle woos noodles makes sense. Yet I would argue that a better choice would be to scour the globe to find low airframe f-5's and there should be quite a few considering all the countries that deployed that type. The low air frame F-5's if put through a Mig-21 Bis type upgrade could yield quite a potent aircraft at the fraction of the cost of acquiring a new type.

I was going through why KAF would have gone for the F-15s. ... ??? ... The USA is using F-16s to good effects in Iraq and Afganistan. The US also strengthened the Pakistani F-16 so PAF can tackle insurgents. i.e. the F-16 is very cable and will do a great job for the KAF. I have there concluded that by looking at Somalia and AS, I am being blinkered and trying to limit Kenya's plans. I believe the F-15 are meant to address bigger concerns than AS!

Sorry mate but they discussed this months ago that the f-15s are not for AS but for deeper penetration missions into Drc and to support our Northern neighbors from Bashir and to counter the egypt f-16s if the treaty of the lake victoria does not go to well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ned Starks Head Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:33

Adama wrote:
Iran has a few f-5's but i dont know what type of condition they are in but i would like to think they were also reverse-engineered just like there f-14's with Russian tech with new engines,electronics etc. Wouldnt the f-18 hornet be a better choice its a muilt/role fighter that would attack like a bomber,reconnaissance,dogfights,etc rather than the f-15 with is just a really good dog-fighter with a 100-0 kill ratio.

I think we can safely ignore the IRIAF F-5 I doubt they are in good condition but don't quote me on that.
I was thinking more along the lines of Jordanian or Taiwanese type, maybe even Singaporean. The eastern operators probably have some very nicely specced F-5's - and they are all moving on to other birds.

Ah yes good point Admiral Adama on the F-18's - especially their twin engine config would make them very useful in a subsaharan context - where I would suspect the threat of FOD is high. Two engines definitely helps with survivability. However I'm not aware of any AF that has transitioned from F-5 to F-18, typically they tend to move on the the falcon. Not sure what the rationale is behind that but something to be discussed.

@Tempest thanks for the info on the uncle woo's types. I'm not up on them as much as I would like, especially as you put in the avionics. Like you I am curious as to their true capabilities especially since they haven't really seen as much action like other nations birds have. My question with comparison to the bears types actually had more to do with do the operators of the uncle woo birds find them easy to service and keep them in a flying condition or do they find them to be PITA's with lots of maintenance required.
We should continue this discussion further if you are O.k with it as like many of Uncle Woo's products things are very cryptic about them.

@Risasi - yes there is no way the KAF f-5's will be phased out willy nilly. Like you put it there is too much of an encyclopedia of knowledge developed around them in the KAF to just let it go. I'm not sure if you agree with me or not but I think there is a lot of life in that type of bird and it really is the right tool for the job. For me if there is an eeefff-15 in the KAF's future than it better have a lot of A2G capability as a lot of taskings would most likely need it i.e multi role = more bang for the buck and no I don't mean that they would be used in insurgency situations but more for when bigger fish come threatening.
Unless the plan is to have a small fleet of them just for the sake of deterrence i.e. A2A - and use less expensive airframes to do the real dirty work. The performance of the F-5 in OLN has astounded me on many occasions but I should not have been surprised knowing what I did about the airframe - the only part left to fill in the blanks was the KAF and my have they done that.

Last edited by Ned Starks Head on Sun Mar 04 2012, 23:38; edited 1 time in total
Ned Starks Head
Ned Starks Head

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27 ... 34  Next