THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

+37
mchoraji
proud kenyan
mekatilili
firewall
kimiti
Mbaine
HokumA
SS Jamuhuri
Uzi
Nesta
Observer
Al Bashir
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
georiise
mogen
Fabrizio
MOOZALENDO
cylon
aggressor one
Ole Sidai
mwepesi
countersniper
Sierra Kilo
vince
Kobooz
Batian
one man army
Spartan
tempest
jasiri
mJESHI mMOJA
Flying Crane
Olekoima
Risasi
Sisal Makonge
Balozi
Admin
41 posters

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  Balozi Tue Jan 18 2011, 16:01

does this clip hold ground??
african millitary rankings

bounce cyclops Shocked

Balozi
Balozi

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Empty Re: Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF),

Post  Flying Crane Tue Jan 18 2011, 18:29

@Balozi I take this as an out right provocation by you posting your link on this side of the site. CIA ranks Uganda well above many countries in the list. The equipment pictures are missed placed don’t accuratly repsent the countries, Rwanda solider are shown as kenyans. eretrian cant be that high just because it has the Su30.
@ web admin kindly take charge of such fabrications.
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Jan 20 2011, 17:33

One shouldn't really bother much about these so called military rankings. Like the Coca-Cola FIFA rankings in football,they are quite misleading and do not represent the actual situation on the ground. By and large the rankings depend on the criterion used hence many different rankings that you may find placing many countries in different positions each time.Thus the CIA rankings are different from those of another source and appear to rely largely on battle field experience.
Nevertheless, i similarly don't seem to agree with the rankings in this clip. They appear to have been the work of some Nigerian somewhere. Frankly, i don't see why Nigeria has been rated that high. How is it possible that Eritrea is better than Angola? Where is Tanzania for example?
As for the mix up between Kenyan and Rwandan soldiers in the clip, i think this is already explained if you read that clip clearly again where the Rwandan soldiers are dis-embarking from the helicopter hence no big deal. Anything else there is Kenyan.
This clip is not really the work of Balozi. I saw it somewhere in the internet. He merely posted it here hence don't take offense.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Shujaa Thu Jan 20 2011, 17:48

i have been following this debate quietly for a while now but something has stired me. HOW OLD IS this FLYING CRANE dude Laughing? it's not like we are getting awards based on the youtube rankings.

Shujaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Balozi Sun Jan 23 2011, 20:11

@ shujaa and Olekoima thanks for the cover . just wanted to spice up the Blogg
@Flying crane no harm intended just pure web observations
Balozi
Balozi

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Feb 03 2011, 17:26

Interesting. Uganda actually has some 10 second hand T-72s procured from an unknown country in 2005. This is according to SIPRI-( Trade register of major conventional weapons transfers 2005-2009 ).
In the same register, Uganda also received 2 Y-12 air craft from China in 2008,3 ATMOS-2000 155mm SP guns from Israel in 2003,31 APCs from S.Africa in 2005,31 BMP-2 IFVs from Ukraine in 2004-05,1 MiG 21 2000bis from Ukraine in 2005 and 6 GILA APCs from S.Africa in 2009.
Transfers to all other countries including to Kenya and Tanzania are also detailed, but it is the T-72s that captured my attention. Looks like countries are really out to buy this tank including DRC, Congo etc.

http://www.sipri.org/databases/armstransfers
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Feb 16 2011, 10:12

Good precaution by Ugandan security forces. I reckon they are fearing possible infiltration by Al Shabaab, but is it enough to only seal off the Kenya side of the border? terrorists can enter from different spots as well.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201102160050.html
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Flying Crane Fri Feb 18 2011, 11:56

Olekoima wrote:Good precaution by Ugandan security forces. I reckon they are fearing possible infiltration by Al Shabaab, but is it enough to only seal off the Kenya side of the border? terrorists can enter from different spots as well.

Ya this region experience a surge in gun running activity the Gov,t needs to toughen up this regions
Flying Crane
Flying Crane

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Fri Feb 18 2011, 15:16

Flying Crane wrote:
Olekoima wrote:Good precaution by Ugandan security forces. I reckon they are fearing possible infiltration by Al Shabaab, but is it enough to only seal off the Kenya side of the border? terrorists can enter from different spots as well.

Ya this region experience a surge in gun running activity the Gov,t needs to toughen up this regions

All the best in your elections. It is in our interest to have a stable Uganda. Besides we Kenyans cannot afford another chaotic neighbour next door like Somalia. At least S.Sudan have set the pace.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Mon Apr 04 2011, 13:35

Looks like M7 is determined to get his Sukhois after all. He is trying to arm twist parliament to rubber stamp his government's withdrawal of some USD740m from central bank for the jets and other military hardware.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Balozi Mon Apr 04 2011, 16:44

Olekoima wrote:Looks like M7 is determined to get his Sukhois after all. He is trying to arm twist parliament to rubber stamp his government's withdrawal of some USD740m from central bank for the jets and other military hardware.

If we go by what mzalendo has said, that they have acquired new fighter then M7 will do any thing by hook or Crook method to get those Sukoi fighters.

our guys need to do something now.
Balozi
Balozi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 18:10

Balozi wrote:
Olekoima wrote:Looks like M7 is determined to get his Sukhois after all. He is trying to arm twist parliament to rubber stamp his government's withdrawal of some USD740m from central bank for the jets and other military hardware.

If we go by what mzalendo has said, that they have acquired new fighter then M7 will do any thing by hook or Crook method to get those Sukoi fighters.

our guys need to do something now.

Relax, brothers, them Sukhois are not devil of the piece, more like the Cat amongst Pigeons - it will spur things along somewhat. Though I have grave doubts about TZ upgrades at this juncture. But can anyone here care to enumerate one society that was build on the goodwill of it's neighbors anywhere in history? it has always been a cut-throat competition for the resources and markets between progressing societies, couched in sanctimoniously phrased expressions about the common goodness of man, of shared values, of religious identity, etc. The plain truth is that societal progression in all fields ride on a stong propensity to project that society's vital national interests to growth through a robust military means. What is heavens name do you imagine these european slavers are doing in libya, iraq, iran, afghanistan, cuba, ivory coast, somalia, sudan, congo, apartheid south africa, angola, namibia, rhodesia, taiwan, nepal, sri lanka, colombo, mozambique ( all these, and many more sectors, in the last thirty years only!!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05 2011, 12:51

Olekoima wrote:Interesting. Uganda actually has some 10 second hand T-72s procured from an unknown country in 2005. This is according to SIPRI-( Trade register of major conventional weapons transfers 2005-2009 ).
In the same register, Uganda also received 2 Y-12 air craft from China in 2008,3 ATMOS-2000 155mm SP guns from Israel in 2003,31 APCs from S.Africa in 2005,31 BMP-2 IFVs from Ukraine in 2004-05,1 MiG 21 2000bis from Ukraine in 2005 and 6 GILA APCs from S.Africa in 2009.
Transfers to all other countries including to Kenya and Tanzania are also detailed, but it is the T-72s that captured my attention. Looks like countries are really out to buy this tank including DRC, Congo etc.

Olekoima, the Russians delivered some 23 used T-55 AM-2 tanks in 2009 to Uganda through Belarus, and support kit too. I have had a look at these, but T-72? Kweli?

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Wed Apr 06 2011, 10:46

ole Nkarei wrote:
Olekoima wrote:Interesting. Uganda actually has some 10 second hand T-72s procured from an unknown country in 2005. This is according to SIPRI-( Trade register of major conventional weapons transfers 2005-2009 ).

Olekoima, the Russians delivered some 23 used T-55 AM-2 tanks in 2009 to Uganda through Belarus, and support kit too. I have had a look at these, but T-72? Kweli?

Yes was surprised too, but this is what SIPRI says.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Empty T-72

Post  PW Wed Apr 20 2011, 11:13

'Olekoima, the Russians delivered some 23 used T-55 AM-2 tanks in 2009 to Uganda through Belarus, and support kit too. I have had a look at these, but T-72? Kweli?
Yes was surprised too, but this is what SIPRI says.'

But this time SIPRI was wrong and therefore we revised the database accordingly. Not easy to find accurate information about Ugandan armed forces.

Anyone knows more about reports by Jane's that Uganda is to receive upgraded S-125-2D SAMs from Ukraine soon?

PW

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Wed Apr 20 2011, 13:21

I would treat the S-125-2D SAMs from to Ug deal as “very much likely”. Ukraine is revamping it Air defenses and the S-125 might be relegated form the service. it will end up in a third worlds army.
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 20 2011, 13:25

PW wrote:'Olekoima, the Russians delivered some 23 used T-55 AM-2 tanks in 2009 to Uganda through Belarus, and support kit too. I have had a look at these, but T-72? Kweli?
Yes was surprised too, but this is what SIPRI says.'

But this time SIPRI was wrong and therefore we revised the database accordingly. Not easy to find accurate information about Ugandan armed forces.

Anyone knows more about reports by Jane's that Uganda is to receive upgraded S-125-2D SAMs from Ukraine soon?

SIPRI is not the Quran. Nor do they have all the facts all the time. They were wrong on the UPDF-T-72s,as they are about a great many things - hell their method of authentication is suspect anyway, but they are spot on with t S-125-2D SAMs. Probably Flying Crane might changia bila compromising himself na hii madai ya SAM's, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 20 2011, 20:59

'SIPRI is not the Quran. Nor do they have all the facts all the time.'

Nope, nor the bible, even though the SIPRI yearbook is about as thick.
Furthermore the method of authentication is not so suspect. It is just based on available sources. Everyone can access the data and if you have documented reason to doubt it don't hesitate to tell us that, preferably with proper source reference. SIPRI's task is to provide accurate information to inform the debate about arms and arms control. May be let's start with the past 10 years:

to Uganda from 'S=supplier' # ordered designation description order yr delivery years # delivered comment
S: Austria
6 Bell-206/OH-58 Light helicopter 2009 2009-2010 (6) Second-hand; delivered via FRG company
Belarus
3 Mi-24V/Hind-E Combat helicopter (2002) 2003 (3) Probably ex-Belarusian; $10 m deal; probably modernized in Russia before delivery
China
2 Y-12 Transport aircraft (2007) 2008 2 Y-12-IV version
Czech Republic
(9) D-30 122mm Towed gun (2002) 2002 9 Ex-Czech; sold via Slovakia
(6) RM-70 122mm Self-propelled MRL (2002) 2002 6 Ex-Czech; sold via Slovakia
Israel
18 Model-839 155mm Towed gun (2002) 2002 18 Designation uncertain; possibly ex-Israeli
(3) ATMOS-2000 155mm Self-propelled gun 2003 2005 3 $5 m deal
(3) ATMOS-2000 155mm Self-propelled gun 2008 2009 3
(18) CARDOM 120mm Self-propelled mortar 2008 2009 18
Russia
(23) T-55AM-2 Tank 2009 2009 23 Ex-Russian; delivered via Belarus
South Africa
15 RG-31 Nyala APC/ISV 1998 2002 15
(5) Mamba APC/APV (2003) 2004 5
31 Buffel APC/ISV (2004) 2005 31 Ex-South African
6 GILA APC/ISV (2009) 2009 6 For police; financed by Canada; for use by peacekeepers in Darfur
Ukraine
(31) BMP-2 IFV (2003) 2004-2005 31 Ex-Ukrainian
1 MiG-21bis/Fishbed-N Fighter aircraft (2005) 2006 1 Ex-Ukrainian

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Thu Apr 21 2011, 11:10

There are rumors that Uganda has already received some of the SU-30MKIIs on order. Can some one please confirm this?
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 21 2011, 11:13

Highly unlikely the Su-30s arrived. But my be training of pilots in Russia has started?

Back to top Go down

Post  mJESHI mMOJA Mon Apr 25 2011, 15:43

I also doubt if the fighter have arrived unless they were getting used birds. What I know is a lot of constructions and training is going on in the Ug air bases/
mJESHI mMOJA
mJESHI mMOJA

Back to top Go down

Post  Balozi Mon Apr 25 2011, 18:48

I just went through SIPRI website. It not as accurate as I thought it should be. The question is how owns such a website what are his intention for running it? Any idea
Balozi
Balozi

Back to top Go down

Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Empty SIPRI

Post  Guest Sun May 01 2011, 18:51

Balozi wrote:
I just went through SIPRI website. It not as accurate as I thought it should be. The question is how owns such a website what are his intention for running it? Any idea

SIPRI is a research institute that tries to contribute to a transparent, meaningful and well informed public debate involving government officials, diplomats but also very much the public in general, about how to control arms. Key questions are how to prevent destabilizing arms procurement and wasteful spending on military assets. It is mainly funded by the Swedish government, but is relatively independent. It has an international staff, albeit still mainly from Europe and the USA.

One of its activities is maintaining a database of international transfers of major arms. Full details about SIPRI and the database (including methodology used) can be found on the SIPRI website www.sipri.org

I (Pieter wezeman) togther with 3 other persons work on the database and related monitoring of international arms transfers (which covers the whole world). Data collected comes from open sources only, including from specialized press, government reporting and since shortly also this forum. Everything published is in principle verifiable, meaning that we have sources we can refer to. (Although for records about events from before about 1990 this is for technical reasons not always entirely true.) Obviously mistakes will be made. If mistakes are detected they will be corrected.

Before I posted a list of the information in the SIPRI database on Ugandan arms imports. If you have any doubts about this information or other information you find in the freely accessible SIPRI database please do let us know, preferably with some reference to publicly quotable sources. We really appreciate constructive criticism and any new information we can obtain in particular about countries like those in East Africa for which such information is hard to find.

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Wed May 04 2011, 11:30

hmm! They live among us.
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 13 2011, 18:55

Dang right, Jasiri. Not even that well hidden, bra. Seeding their wild theories and confusion amongst african ignorance. So, we seed some of our own too, eh?

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Sun Jul 17 2011, 18:46

Congratulations you made it.
Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Su-30m10
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Mon Jul 18 2011, 09:13

well well well, congrats to Uganda on your most expensieve piece of hardware yet. The camo is very interesting tho, looks like russian. well what do you know, it is. here's a pic of the UPDAF Flanker.[img]Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Updaf10[/img] i do not have rights for this photo Very Happy
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 09:56

jasiri wrote:well well well, congrats to Uganda on your most expensieve piece of hardware yet. The camo is very interesting tho, looks like russian. well what do you know, it is. here's a pic of the UPDAF Flanker.[img]Uganda Peoples Defence Force (UPDF), - Page 2 Updaf10[/img] i do not have rights for this photo Very Happy

Good job, Jasiri. You are in the wrong job!!
Talk is rife about a CAP covering Mogandisho, doing what M7 has been calling for - Air power!! These birds can easily do this, without problem. But, that would be something else, I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Mon Jul 18 2011, 11:23

M7 is a sly one. He knows the U.N pays handsomely for equipment such as this. Now should he deploy them to Somalia, he'd milk the U.N enough money to pay for the birds, the mercs flying it(relax crane Smile ) and have enough to line his pockets. But the question no is, will Kenya agree to havin this birds in Somalia? 3 in Somalia three in Uganda and Kamanda Karangi will be a very worried man hehehe....With the Flankers' engine susceptibility to F.O.D and it's inability to operate from unpaved runways, was this such a wise decision dear M7? Rolling Eyes
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18 2011, 13:18

jasiri wrote: will Kenya agree to havin this birds in Somalia? 3 in Somalia three in Uganda and Kamanda Karangi will be a very worried man hehehe... Rolling Eyes

Sly fella, Jas you are.

You multiply several-fold the firepower and effectiveness of military hardware operating in a Pack than individually. There is moreover an irreducible minimum number for this sort of heavy hardware, below which it makes no sense to deploy - these SU30Mkk as just barely scrapping that irreducible minimum, dude! These birds's effective Combat Radius does obviates basing outside Uganda - from Entebbe they can touch Mogadishu and cap the whole place tight for hours on ends without needing to get down anywhere else but home.

But I reckon the priority now is training, training, of air and ground crews, interfacing with other formations, etc, though I foresee further importations or same or similar stores coming through soonest.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next