THE EAST AFRICAN
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

+52
pacifist
MasterChief
mchoraji
firewall
timoh
Kepler-Euler
tres impoli
jasiri
Olekoima
cylon
mashaa
Cycoh 'DUDUS'
Technician
SIAT
SS Jamuhuri
mJESHI mMOJA
georiise
Observer
mbs
Ole Sidai
Al Bashir
HokumA
Sierra Kilo
livefire
Admin
tempest
Mbaine
mwepesi
MOOZALENDO
mekatilili
Uzi
Fabrizio
Balozi
Flying Crane
Nesta
Risasi
The Blue
proud kenyan
gash
edmuiru
Neutral Ground
mogen
kimiti
Spartan
aggressor one
Analyst
countersniper
Ned Starks Head
MWAURA
Batian
Kobooz
areba
56 posters

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next

Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty Re: Kenya Defence Forces (KDF)

Post  Uzi Thu Jan 03 2013, 17:59

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000074148&story_title=Kenya-How-Police-gave-fake-PPO-security-chopper-ride

2 years! one more year and he would have made it in the head of state's list of commendation Lol.
Uzi
Uzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Neutral Ground Fri Jan 04 2013, 00:03

It's in moments like these one walks with stooped shoulders
And head held low and avoid foreign buddies with their
Knowing winks.Goodness even gangs don't let pick pockets and pimps
in on their inner circle.That much they know is not good.
Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Fri Jan 04 2013, 09:01

Uzi wrote:http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000074148&story_title=Kenya-How-Police-gave-fake-PPO-security-chopper-ride

2 years! one more year and he would have made it in the head of state's list of commendation Lol.

The most most shameful thing of it all is that according to the man's family "the region’s police command was aware of his role". In other words he wasn't alone and the top command effected his illegal sackings, gave him uniforms and handcuffs etc. What to do now?
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/Man-arrested-on-claims-of-posing-as-police-yet-again-/-/1056/1657144/-/cjmubiz/-/index.html
mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty Fake A/CP in Rift Valley.

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 10:04

In due course inevitably the details of this messy situation will be established, even if we might not all get fed with ALL of it.

Granted, it is as shocking as it is scary. But we cannot not logically draw definitive conclusions yet one direction or the other.

Regardless of whatever spin our sensationalism-purveying media put to it, there is very little detail out presently.

As for claims of the family (his Dad is holding a "spill-the-beans" Press Conference at Noon) - - hell, would you give equal credit to a Gospel written by Barrabas family members, as to the Synoptic writings of Mathew Mark Luke and John?

Safe your weapons. Ngojeni mpaka ukweli upatikane.

Back to top Go down

Post  mogen Fri Jan 04 2013, 15:00

ole Nkarei wrote:In due course inevitably the details of this messy situation will be established, even if we might not all get fed with ALL of it.

Granted, it is as shocking as it is scary. But we cannot not logically draw definitive conclusions yet one direction or the other.

Regardless of whatever spin our sensationalism-purveying media put to it, there is very little detail out presently.

As for claims of the family (his Dad is holding a "spill-the-beans" Press Conference at Noon) - - hell, would you give equal credit to a Gospel written by Barrabas family members, as to the Synoptic writings of Mathew Mark Luke and John?

Safe your weapons. Ngojeni mpaka ukweli upatikane.

ON
But there is no dispute about the reports that
1. he was at some stage a police reservist
2. He has previously been arrested over impersonation [this is his seconds arrest]
3. he flew in a police helio to Baragoi
4. he has sat in provincial security meetings
5. Twice he has been arrested and found with handcuffs, police uniform

And unconfirmed reports indicate he sat near President Kibaki in parliament, very recently

It is doubtable he was working alone, otherwise 2 years is a long time before someone is smoked out.
The timing of the arrest is also interesting. Given that we have a new tough-talking IG

Whichever way one looks at it. It stinks.

mogen
mogen

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Fri Jan 04 2013, 15:23

ole n

let me digress kidogo
unconfirmed reports suggest that there is serious bad blood developing between KDF commanders on the ground and their main allies in kismayu the ras kamboni brigade commander.
we need to ventilate this ....whats going on?
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 16:38

Nothing serious and unexpected nor unmanageable. On a small Theatre full of Armed Men, an occasional shout at night isn't a call to arms.

There are three concyclic Armed Groups in an around Kismayu. 1. SNA pushing the interest of Kismayu from the perspective t Federal Authorities in Crazy Tow;. 2. The various Clan militias articulating the confusing Demography of many clans some of which are as far as Galmudug /Puntland with economic hegemony over Kismayu; 3. KDF deployed tactically in and around Kismayu. Each of these three have specific interests for being in their loose Axis which may find different expressions.

IGAD/KDF seeks an end to the spiral violence in Southern Somalia. That change is seen to result from socio-politico discourse of all parties with interests in that region culminating in an agree political Covenant. Negotiations. Give-and-take Compromises. A Jubbaland Federal State. Amongst the Clan Militia, Ras Kabooni is the largest and most cohesive, better equipped and led.

Last week a Government Delegation from Crazy Town that included Four Ministers including Defense ann Interior visited Chai-town and forcefully proposed that (a) Federal Government be allowed to appoint Administration of the intended Federal Jubbaland State of Gedo and both Jubba, and (b) to take charge of the process already near complete in the formation of the impending Jubbaland State, or abandon the almost complete process till a later date. Both were rejected by all the leaders representing Gedo and both Jubba with Sheikh Madobe being the most bluntly undiplomatic. But KDF offered no input beyond facilitation of discussions since such GoK stand was re-stated clearly during the Soomaliya President visit to Nairobi last week.

Madobe feels kidogo crowded between the Federal Government and the other Somaliya Clans, and not able to scare the other two using the KDF. He is unable to escape the need for consensus-development. Our interest are Strategic while Madobe's are tactical to drive his political intentions on Jubbaland. That IS the Issue. And well in hand, as you can see.

Nothing to fret about.

countersniper wrote:ole n

let me digress kidogo
unconfirmed reports suggest that there is serious bad blood developing between KDF commanders on the ground and their main allies in kismayu the ras kamboni brigade commander.
we need to ventilate this ....whats going on?

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty Fake cop

Post  Neutral Ground Fri Jan 04 2013, 22:15

@Mogen ,Minor correction;fellow who sat near Kibaki was more elderly ,incident several years back
During previous Gvt.Believe name MWAI Manjau,if not wrong.defenitely not this chap.

Nevertheless it was a monumental security lapse on our Service then .
Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty KDF

Post  Neutral Ground Fri Jan 04 2013, 22:34

Allow me to digress abit on a taboo topic.What do you felas think of KDF deploying a few Panhards in major towns on election day.It would be a site to behold for the uninitiated and would be rouble rousers.I once witnessed them at Karobangi roundabout after matatus had caused a grid rock;their mare happenstance solved the problem and scared the touts to the marrow.You could hear them swear someone had ordered MBTs to displine them.

Just a thought.
Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground

Back to top Go down

Post  Olekoima Sat Jan 05 2013, 09:02

Neutral Ground wrote:Allow me to digress abit on a taboo topic.What do you felas think of KDF deploying a few Panhards in major towns on election day.It would be a site to behold for the uninitiated and would be rouble rousers.I once witnessed them at Karobangi roundabout after matatus had caused a grid rock;their mare happenstance solved the problem and scared the touts to the marrow.You could hear them swear someone had ordered MBTs to displine them.

Just a thought.

Well, that won't be necessary. I think the police are more than prepared this time round and Kenyans themselves learn t a lesson or two from the last fiasco. What is more, this risks sending the wrong message that the state is about to rig elections in someone's favor. May be this can be considered in the unlikely event that large scale chaos break out after elections much like last time.
My two cents.
Olekoima
Olekoima

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06 2013, 21:50

There ARE Contingencies for that eventuality, integral to the KDF Constitutional obligation to safeguard this Nation - in this respect by coming to the aid of the Civilian Authorities in a strictly support-role. Force Projection of th KDF in the manner you depict is counterproductive.

It needs to be clear that domestically deploying the KDF in effect implies a collapse of Civilian Governance Structures to varying degrees. It really is a Cold Coup when power and domestic responsibility is ceded to the Military for whatever duration and justification. The better option is to appropriately engender civilian institutions as would be necessary so as to make the utilization of the KDF domestically as a last-option consideration.

There will be just under one-hundred thousand Uniforms under the Inspector-General by April this year. More than adequate to address the Civil Order Thread Board by far.

Neutral Ground wrote:Allow me to digress abit on a taboo topic.What do you felas think of KDF deploying a few Panhards in major towns on election day.It would be a site to behold for the uninitiated and would be rouble rousers.I once witnessed them at Karobangi roundabout after matatus had caused a grid rock;their mare happenstance solved the problem and scared the touts to the marrow.You could hear them swear someone had ordered MBTs to displine them.

Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty HI GUYS

Post  Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 09:02

Been away for so long but have missed this forum. am part of the guys who went to the village for the holidays whom ON was talking about; rarua-ring mbuzis & the like but now am back.thanks guys for keeping the blog active i only used to peek from my phone on the happenings once in a while.This will be quite an interesting year security wise since we are voting in less than 2 months & the al-shaitans still rear their ugly heads once in a while. we had to know how the police have been screwing up as the year begins.
By the way guys my village is near nanyuki. on the morning of friday 4th at about 9.30, i had the sound of a fighter jet and rushed out of the house expecting to see one of the 'fast birds' but it was one of the F5s doing a high altitude jump. it turned back after a short while so i guess must have been on a training mission.anyway guys looking forward to healthy engagement right here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Neutral Ground Mon Jan 07 2013, 13:53

ole Nkarei wrote:There ARE Contingencies for that eventuality, integral to the KDF Constitutional obligation to safeguard this Nation - in this respect by coming to the aid of the Civilian Authorities in a strictly support-role. Force Projection of th KDF in the manner you depict is counterproductive.

It needs to be clear that domestically deploying the KDF in effect implies a collapse of Civilian Governance Structures to varying degrees. It really is a Cold Coup when power and domestic responsibility is ceded to the Military for whatever duration and justification. The better option is to appropriately engender civilian institutions as would be necessary so as to make the utilization of the KDF domestically as a last-option consideration.

There will be just under one-hundred thousand Uniforms under the Inspector-General by April this year. More than adequate to address the Civil Order Thread Board by far.

Just a thought.

Now that the the Lazar will be in our inventory how about procedurally tranferring
AML60 to RDU/BPU?
Neutral Ground
Neutral Ground

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:19

Unto the Seventies, the most violent Robbery in Kenya was a Bank Job with four .en inside and two outside including a fast driver. Probably two old British Wembley Revolvers none with a full load. Rare that any shots were fired by the robbers.

And then Charles Njonjo goes rogue. And declares Armed Robbery a Capital Offense - every Crime Cop immediately packed a Sten-gun and Colonial era 12gauge hunting shotguns, killing any walking, crawling, surrendering and dead suspected robber. Soon enough the robbers styled upbtoo and kited themselves with American Automatics and British Sten-guns as well. The cops grabbed G3 5.56mm chambered Assault Carbines from the paramilitary and the robbers fitted out the shorter and erratic AK-47 clambering the larger 7.62mm full-metal-jacketed cartridges. Today, no Cop rushes into a robbery hot zone anymore and Contact scenes mimic real battle zones in damages and collateral. Military grade explosives have become common equipment for today's robber in Kenya.

Cattle rustling has the same evolution narrative.

Violence feeds of itself. If the RDU deploy APC-type fire platforms in combating cattle rustling, anti-those-fire-platforms will surely follow and we end up with a civil war situation

Policing is more effective when greater success is in detection and prevention. And the Social net expands to eliminate justifications to Criminal activities.

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty belated answer

Post  Risasi Mon Jan 07 2013, 17:39

Olekoima wrote:
jasiri wrote:While i was doing my high altitude aerial recce of this blog and its happenings, certain things happened in the world that i think we would do well to note.
    China unveiled it 'indigenous' Jian 15 carrier aircraft (another name for Su 33)
    The imperialists deployed patriot missiles to the Turkish border to 'counter' Syrian SSM's, as if Syria would be crazy enough to fire guided projectiles at Turkey
    Russia 'sold' Iran the highly accurate hunter-killer Iskander SSM and deployed a flotilla (an ASW destroyer, a landing ship a fleet replenishment ship and a handful of frigates) to Syria
    North Korea successfully launches its 'satellite'
    China buzzes Diaoyu with a Coast Guard aircraft the Samurais go overboard in the response with 8 F-15's and an AWACS bird to chase away the 'deadly' Y-12 from 'Senkaku'
    China declares from 1st January some Migingos off the coast of Phillipines, Malay and a bevy of other weird countries will under Chinese Jurisdiction and as such, shipping will need permission from Chinese maritime authorities to transit.
    Annan and his hoard of marauding western puppets pump up the volume on the 'illegitimacy' of certain presidential candidates in Kenya.
    The Rwandese are caught pants down shitting in the neighbours farm
    SADC approves the deployment of an AMISOM type force to E. DRC
    The Malian Force curiously fails to agree on anything while Chad, who by all means are the UPDF of North Central, conveniently get sucked into an out-of-nowhere rebellion in the CAR (funny, where is Kony in all this?)
    oh, and Spartan once again does his characteristic 'pop up, shoot, dive' tactic on Ole Nkarei

As this events were happening, not necessarily in the listed order, i realised something. Kenya has it's backside exposed.
In my evaluation of 'the troubles' in relation to the ambitions this country has i conclude we have an armed force woefully inadequate of the task before us. The United States has slowly been backed into a corner and this new desperate America is becoming dangerous to everyone around them. Russia's snarling in Europe is now developing into a ''crouch'' position ready for an attack. China is squeezing the U.S Navy out of the South, East China Seas, Yellow Sea and Gulf of Tonkin. As a super power emerging it is owning its waters the way the U.S owns the Pacific, Atlantic and the Mexican Gulf. The direct result of this is a moody Washington which no longer cares about subtleness but now jumps for the jugular of nations at the slightest hint of kichwa ngumu in relation to its foreign policy.

Back to Kenya.

We have a Vision to industrialise oursleves by 2030. To achieve this, certain nations must be on board. C.A.R, D.R.C, South Sudan, Somalia, Burundi (making up the hard nuts) Uganda, Tanzania and Rwanda (the more willing members). This requires allot of strategising on our part because as it already, some senseless wars are breaking out (like this one of CAR). It is as if someone is frustrating us in their larger than life chess game. We need a military that take care of problems at a regional level. Our lack of strategic assets will be our Achilles heel. Risasi once said that future operations will take a regional shape. however, even in a regional setting there must be a leader regardless of whoever owns the rotating chairmanship. Museveni seems to be the guy reading his bones and beads correctly. We have most to gain from East Africa and therefore we have the most to protect in E.A.
The above said, i propose it's time we re-organised our forces starting from the most vital unit going into the future..

The Navy.

Here @Mjeshi could help...a force organised into 2 fleets. One focused on the coast of Mombasa, Tanzania, Mozambique and DRC in the Atlantic, i'll call this the Southern Fleet. Another one focused on the coast of Mombasa, and Somalia (in my estimates the toughest challenge). These 2 fleets should be armed with a mix of 2 LPD's (that between them can transport a battalion of marines (the KRI Makassar is a good example) 4 frigates (fully capable of land attack), 16 corvettes* (littoral capable e.g Cigala Fulgosi, Baynunah), about 8 coastal patrol boats (like the Nyayo and Shujaa class) and about 4 LST's (with a slightly higher displacement than the Tana and Galana). Now with this set up a Submarine force is obviously a neccesity, but since this will be primarily for anti-shipping(which the possibility for a naval war is a bit off), intelligence gathering. . .4 capable subs will be adequate. Between them, two fully mechanised Marine battalions. naturally the army will be resistant to this new powerful navy, therefore a permanent detachment of air calv from the army should be seconded to support amphibious operations.

Air Force,

they have pretty much covered it on the fighter front. What the completely lack, n are very comfy about it, is a lack of strategic air lifters. If we are going to lock down our turf then we need to re-supply troops deployed far from our borders. our current airlift capacity is laughable for a country with this big an ambition. A couple of C-130 class (the Yun 8 looks promising) air assets ought to cover that front. Since going into the future the air operations will primarily be air-ground instead of air-air, a respectable replacement for the F-5's once they reach the end of their usefull life is in order (the F-15's if Multi role will be a huge plus).

As for the army

..hehehe..OLE NKAREI..when i asked about converting the old ladies to heavy IFV's it is because i realised that what we have in this country is primarily a motorised infantry. We pia unajua we cant call the PUMA's APC's, they are MRAP's period! Their role and application is way different from APC's and IFV's. luckily, someone realised this and hence the LAZAR's (beautiful animals this ones). This will go a long way in complementing the WZ 551's. The tank force should also have a major makeover. I personally do not believe the T-72 was a good choice seeing as this tank will be obsolete in the next few years. A powerful and expanded tank force should keep anyone in check. Their air Calv is pretty much well equipped so that's a plus. Field guns and artillery, more punch more mobility more variety in range. Thats all i can say on arty coz i hardly know jack about it.

However all this done, wish should not underestimate the power of soft-force. cross training, bilateral agreements, mutual assistance programs, mutual defence pacts etc. I personally liked what Kibaki did with Burundi, extending military aid to the Burundians. In asmuch as this helps them, it endears us to them and gives us a launching pad into the beehive that is Congo should it come to that. I propose the same for the CAR too. this is a country that is seriously underdeveloped and a shoulder to lean on like Kenya's should be much appreciated. Train their troops in exchange of trade opportunities (and that little detail about a base in CAR) should be more than fair. Angola should be a 'friend' in the Atlantic. We would do well to have them as an ally than a competitor. It shouldn't be that hard to convince Kabila of the need for naval security in the Congo. This is whee the southern fleet's frigates should and corvettes would work their magic. A ready amphibious force that can deploy anywhere in our AOI should keep any cheeky party contained. The primary reason for such a large force of littoral capable corvettes is because the future naval challenge will be securing Lines of Communication from pirates more than foreign warship (even though this too is a reality). A respectable corvette armed with ship to ship missiles and good guns for littoral warfare should be very effective. The frigates will be primarily for when things go south real bad.

If we kid ourselves that the status quo will remain with the current troop levels then we are in for a shock. No country worth it's name wants foreign warships with unknown intentions drifting off its coastline. Ever wondered why Myanmar built a new Capital city?
Haya open to debates and criticism.

MERRY CHRISTMAS men of the blog

Happy new year to you all,
I agree with you @Jasiri especially on the tank force. The T-72 may not last long and is being acquired by every Tom, Dick and Harry meaning that we may no longer maintain the edge over others by fielding a vastly superior machine as we have done for years with the Vickers. It may be worthwhile to consider other potent tanks like the Leopards. Indeed even UG seems to be eying newer machines like the T-90. What does this tell you?

Hahahhaha very interesting. First and foremost, happy belated holidays and a prosperous 2013 to all TEA members, old and new......santa…. Sasa maneno ya vikosi.

@jas. And friends Mambo haya pangwi namna hiyo esp. not in KDFs doctrines and protocols on doing things

Gentlemen let’s not confuse duly tailored military units to an east African safari rally crew. if you’ve got 2000cc wheel I ought to get a bigger one to outsmart the opponent. Hapana. Mad

Jas your suggestions are good and any developing country will be happy to be so but looking at it as an expert the stuff will spend 70% of its valuable prime time as dockyards, hangers and barracks beauty queens. In short we don’t have threats that deserver that ordinance/weaponlogy, not in the near decade. Wewe wacha bwana Subs, landcrafts etc for what??? Not forgetting training and maintenance against a ghost or an undefined enemy. Your ordnance is what I can call; meant for intimidation and deterrence. A weak and an irresponsible purpose.

The key philosophy in KDF is always to be a breast in strategies and tactics in the regions. If I were to crack little open the chest to how things are done, you will see the following in the below priority.

1. KDFs future mission and vision. Something likes what you call the Vision 2030 Kenya for Gov’t. by the way KDF had a vision and mission before even the Gov,t recited one. tuko mbale baba. Razz

2. Let the neighbours define they force and strategy, and we will create a collective antidote for them, again drawn from KDFs mission and vision

Finally …On the onset of OLN you personally read and heard ours neighbours bold opinions on KDF. 1 year down the lane we cleansed our name and ended the show. I beg you oooh…Use that as a “writing on the wall” on what those around us know in details about the insides of strategies and planning of the KDF.

if still not convinced I wouldn’t mind discussing a few bits and scraps on KDF strategy and planning at a layman’s level.

Asanteni
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  countersniper Mon Jan 07 2013, 20:52

the most effective strategy kdf employed in operation OLN was to pretend to give information and yet in doing so they were giving distinctive disinformation..
they ultimately fooled alshabab about an impending massive land based invasion of kismayu ..only to land by sea. and take kismayu without firing a shot.
countersniper
countersniper

Back to top Go down

Post  HokumA Tue Jan 08 2013, 08:42

countersniper wrote:the most effective strategy kdf employed in operation OLN was to pretend to give information and yet in doing so they were giving distinctive disinformation..
they ultimately fooled alshabab about an impending massive land based invasion of kismayu ..only to land by sea. and take kismayu without firing a shot.

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. ~ Sun Tzu

Seems like the front is back to full operational capacity its time the field commanders launched a full frontal assault on 2013, the generals orders are clear 'No quarter given'. I wish you forumers with or without boots a blessed and safe 2013. cheers
HokumA
HokumA

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Tue Jan 08 2013, 19:34

Risasi wrote:Hahahhaha very interesting. First and foremost, happy belated holidays and a prosperous 2013 to all TEA members, old and new......santa…. Sasa maneno ya vikosi.

@jas. And friends Mambo haya pangwi namna hiyo esp. not in KDFs doctrines and protocols on doing things

Gentlemen let’s not confuse duly tailored military units to an east African safari rally crew. if you’ve got 2000cc wheel I ought to get a bigger one to outsmart the opponent. Hapana. Mad

Jas your suggestions are good and any developing country will be happy to be so but looking at it as an expert the stuff will spend 70% of its valuable prime time as dockyards, hangers and barracks beauty queens. In short we don’t have threats that deserver that ordinance/weaponlogy, not in the near decade. Wewe wacha bwana Subs, landcrafts etc for what??? Not forgetting training and maintenance against a ghost or an undefined enemy. Your ordnance is what I can call; meant for intimidation and deterrence. A weak and an irresponsible purpose.

Risasi as always you made the mistake of assuming i'm asking for an immediate procurement and commissioning of these crafts, not so my grey haired friend. The average type it takes to build a warship, outfit it and take it through it's acceptance trials is about 3 years. That divided by 22 major surface combatants this 'new navy' will have at about two ships per delivery averages around 15 years. If i'm to understand you correctly are you saying that in your expert view the current naval fleet will be adequate for the next decade? Hubris my friend. Ole Nkarei here stated a few replies down that indeed the KDF is in the process of forming a Marine Expeditionary Force. Now how do you propose the get to their battle fields and protect their landings? Air drops and air strikes? remember this is a MARINE unit and as a spearhead of a larger force it definitely needs some armour that you guys in the Air Force will be unable to deliver to them. A fast mover is just to unsuited to support a landing force. Where will the heavy arty support come from? This Kismayu op itself highlighted the inadequate nature of our amphibious force. You don't agree? Then tell me why the M.V Alpha Kirawira was included into our 'merchant navy'.

The key philosophy in KDF is always to be a breast in strategies and tactics in the regions. If I were to crack little open the chest to how things are done, you will see the following in the below priority.

1. KDFs future mission and vision. Something likes what you call the Vision 2030 Kenya for Gov’t. by the way KDF had a vision and mission before even the Gov,t recited one. tuko mbale baba. Razz

2. Let the neighbours define they force and strategy, and we will create a collective antidote for them, again drawn from KDFs mission and vision

So we are basically a reactionary force and not a proactive one? Rolling Eyes Kenyanese...

Finally …On the onset of OLN you personally read and heard ours neighbours bold opinions on KDF. 1 year down the lane we cleansed our name and ended the show. I beg you oooh…Use that as a “writing on the wall” on what those around us know in details about the insides of strategies and planning of the KDF.

if still not convinced I wouldn’t mind discussing a few bits and scraps on KDF strategy and planning at a layman’s level.

Asanteni
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Tue Jan 08 2013, 23:11

jasiri wrote:
Risasi wrote:Hahahhaha very interesting. First and foremost, happy belated holidays and a prosperous 2013 to all TEA members, old and new......santa…. Sasa maneno ya vikosi.

Risasi as always you made the mistake of assuming i'm asking for an immediate procurement and commissioning of these crafts, not so my grey haired friend. The average type it takes to build a warship, outfit it and take it through it's acceptance trials is about 3 years. That divided by 22 major surface combatants this 'new navy' will have at about two ships per delivery averages around 15 years. If i'm to understand you correctly are you saying that in your expert view the current naval fleet will be adequate for the next decade? Hubris my friend. Ole Nkarei here stated a few replies down that indeed the KDF is in the process of forming a Marine Expeditionary Force. Now how do you propose the get to their battle fields and protect their landings? Air drops and air strikes? remember this is a MARINE unit and as a spearhead of a larger force it definitely needs some armour that you guys in the Air Force will be unable to deliver to them. A fast mover is just to unsuited to support a landing force. Where will the heavy arty support come from? This Kismayu op itself highlighted the inadequate nature of our amphibious force. You don't agree? Then tell me why the M.V Alpha Kirawira was included into our 'merchant navy'.

So we are basically a reactionary force and not a proactive one? Rolling Eyes Kenyanese...

Asanteni

. The air force……is a lack of strategic air lifters… kindly expound that statement.

Risasi as always you made the mistake of assuming i'm asking for an immediate procurement and commissioning of these crafts, not so my grey haired friend. The average type it takes to build a warship, outfit it and take it through it's acceptance trials is about 3 years. That divided by 22 major surface combatants this 'new navy' will have at about two ships per delivery averages around 15 years. If i'm to understand you correctly are you saying that in your expert view the current naval fleet will be adequate for the next decade?

22 pieces ( i.e 16 covettes, 4Opv and 4 Subs) in 15 years. consider the following mathematics for 15years

16 corvettes non presently @ +/-80million usd

Nyayo and Shujaa ……four available, four short @+/- 40million usd

4 Submarines………non presently @ +/-200million

Withholding training and regular maintenance against what???a phantom enemy.

The navy,s plan is 1-2 opv a decade. to succeed the existing fleet gradually in technology and purpose in line with the growing threat matrix derived from our mission and vision and the change in environment force.

@M.V Alpha Kirawira

To my understanding it was contracted to FERRY equipment’s and also double as a mother ship at a green area ,high seas away from visual and enemy contact.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Suzpe10

24 vehicles capable.

KNs Galana and Tana did the actual beach assault from MV M.V Alpha Kirawira .

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Gtf410

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Hgfyuy10

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Huu87710

The concept used was similar to a mother assault ship (kirawira) and support landing crafts (Tana & Galana) at fraction the coast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_assault_ship

if that ain,t improvising and tactics then educate me more.

Last edited by Risasi on Wed Jan 09 2013, 09:17; edited 2 times in total
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  HokumA Wed Jan 09 2013, 09:09

Loved it
Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 4931605167_0a59bd2538_b
HokumA
HokumA

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty MAONYESHO

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 12:04

HokumA wrote:Loved it
Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 4931605167_0a59bd2538_b

This was one hell of a day.i wish jamhuri day should be up-graded so that besides trooping of the colour there can be a little bit of this

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty SCEWED REPORT

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 12:07

Read this on the daily nation 30th of december about kismayu.this writer was a bit harsh on KDF to me

http://www.nation.co.ke/Features/DN2/Waiting-to-strike-the-KDF-/-/957860/1654286/-/xqtudjz/-/index.html

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty Defense Procurement and Strategic Growth.

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 12:24

@Jas.

Woa there, Jas. I didn't see the Bullet-man contradicting your concept. Rather ressizing it from an insider view. Let's retract yuma kidogo.

A bit earlier in reply to @Ole Sidai asking about the prioritization and determination of the competing Defense Procurement needs of Navy, Air and Army Arms of KDF, I launched into a windy rationalization on how this convoluted process runs from concept to procurement.

Undeniably, our Defense Funds are finite; our Defense needs infinite while our Defense Ideals almost Ethereal - the stuff of good idealism! The success is in a prioritized and optimized utilisation - on a scale ensuing from the Threat Board. So, we reach an realistic as possible Concept on each segmented facet onnon the Board and incrementally work our way towards each. Hell, there are procurement profile for anwhole range of scenarios including with the hydrocarbons yet underground ballooning our procurement capabilities.

The Marine Expeditionary Force is a realizable and realistic Concept at working stages. But that is where we are headed incrementally and deliberately. How soon to achieve rigid realization is uncertain at this point.

You know the AirCal tank killers developed a Concept of Eight to Ten Havoc Squadrons and six of the Black Sharks IN THE INTERMEDIATE term. As it turned out due to long delayed UN reimbursements for OLN Equipment use and losses, they got six squadrons of one and none of the other - for the moment. And that generally is the story for pretty much kila mtu!

Back to top Go down

Post  jasiri Wed Jan 09 2013, 16:44

ole Nkarei wrote:@Jas.

Woa there, Jas. I didn't see the Bullet-man contradicting your concept. Rather ressizing it from an insider view.

Jas your suggestions are good and any developing country will be happy to be so but looking at it as an expert the stuff will spend 70% of its valuable prime time as dockyards, hangers and barracks beauty queens. In short we don’t have threats that deserver that ordinance/weaponlogy, not in the near decade. Wewe wacha bwana Subs, landcrafts etc for what??? Not forgetting training and maintenance against a ghost or an undefined enemy. Your ordnance is what I can call; meant for intimidation and deterrence. A weak and an irresponsible purpose

I don't know how you'd call that

A bit earlier in reply to @Ole Sidai asking about the prioritization and determination of the competing Defense Procurement needs of Navy, Air and Army Arms of KDF, I launched into a windy rationalization on how this convoluted process runs from concept to procurement.

Undeniably, our Defense Funds are finite; our Defense needs infinite while our Defense Ideals almost Ethereal - the stuff of good idealism! The success is in a prioritized and optimized utilisation - on a scale ensuing from the Threat Board. So, we reach an realistic as possible Concept on each segmented facet onnon the Board and incrementally work our way towards each. Hell, there are procurement profile for anwhole range of scenarios including with the hydrocarbons yet underground ballooning our procurement capabilities.

And that's something all members here (even Cylon, where is he by the way?) understand. I clearly pointed that this will be a V2030 force, in that when the country is getting to 2030 the Defence Forces is growing too to protect this new found wealth. It will be substantial. A strong industrial base and flowing hydrocarbons...someone's got to develop a craving for our wealth.

The Marine Expeditionary Force is a realizable and realistic Concept at working stages. But that is where we are headed incrementally and deliberately. How soon to achieve rigid realization is uncertain at this point.

You know the AirCal tank killers developed a Concept of Eight to Ten Havoc Squadrons and six of the Black Sharks IN THE INTERMEDIATE term. As it turned out due to long delayed UN reimbursements for OLN Equipment use and losses, they got six squadrons of one and none of the other - for the moment. And that generally is the story for pretty much kila mtu!

The air force……is a lack of strategic air lifters… kindly expound that statement.
Our Buffaloes were primarily designed to take equipment from Air Bases to F.O.B's. They were adequate, and still are for a short time anyway, when the threat was primarily Shifta secessionists and now al-shabab. Now we are envisioning a Kenyana, a region encompassing the whole of the waist of Africa. Surelly someone has noted that an air craft with a payload of a mere 8 tonnes is inadequate. That's equivalent to a Panhard and a landrover (assuming it has the fuselage to allow that length). . .(still can't effectively draw a line between tactical and strategic when it comes to C-130, A-400 class birds)
jasiri
jasiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Risasi Wed Jan 09 2013, 18:32

@ jas Clarifications:

don’t confuse me as an anti-progressive jamaa. Very Happy The stuff stated is fine but at the moment .threat matrixes don,t call for such equipment’s. KNS jasiri cost the country 4billion Kes (politics aside ) and yet my young friend is gunning for 22 of the same in 15 year i.e+/- 4billion per year against neighbors/threats that can’t even afford run or operate 12meter gun boats. Most navies apart from Egypt Kenya and South Africa(which we are unlikely to confront), along this side African shore line, have been reduced to policing navies for anti-smuggling and anti-pirating roles. At the moment our post independent Israeli armed boats Madaraka, jamuhuri and mamba and don,t have a immediate match or aren’t expected to meet any rival , let alone the 20year old Nyayo class boats and the recent acquired Kns Jasiri.

Change will come, Very Happy gradually concurrently and hand in hand with our economic growth and threat matrixes.

As ON supposed the Marine unit embryo exists. In due time it will germinate, with limbs and organs to become a self-sustaining body.
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty A gunship, a tank and the armor corps.

Post  Risasi Wed Jan 09 2013, 18:37

Woa there, Jas. I didn't see the Bullet-man contradicting your concept. Rather ressizing it from an insider view. Let's retract yuma kidogo.

To add on the above lets share an insight:

A gunship, a tank and the armor corps. What a Face

Am writing this script cause I encounter lads and buddies (and now forummers)that claim neighboring armies have upgrade their tank corps with better tanks than ours. if we look at it as the east African safari rally then the race has been won. T-90 are now with in our vicinity vs KDF pre 80ties tanks; Vickers MK3 ,AMl-90 and pre-90ties T-72. But before I go into long debilitations I would like to take the forum 60years back with a question.

Where was the US /allied armored during the Vietnam war ?? the tank Corps seen in WII and latter modernized and featured extensively in the 1&2 Gulf war.

Where was the massive allied tank corps during the Vietnam War??

I am posting a question because of procurement blunders, impulsive buying and misuse of taxpayers done around our border and I will show you why those latest equipment’s brought around our borders shouldn’t worry you.

A gunship, a tank and the armor corps.

Of late KDF has procured latest Soviet gunships a mixed squadron of Mi-28 and Mi-28NM. A state of art gunship that rivals none other than (debatable) the US apache advance model, the longbow apache AH-64D. We need these equipment’s not for pride or vanity sake but for a defensive statute.

70% of our nation is open country (arid and semi-arid) up north, south and coast regions. Such areas are imperiling to armor incursions and indeed our neighbors do have that capability.

Strategy and tactics

gunships are therefore the best defense lines in open and wide threats against almost anything that crawls I,e for defense and counter attacks Locate and destroy in succession goes the slang. its therefore mandatory and paramount to have the best Gunship our economy can buy. The procurement of Mi28 is an imminent defense strategy rather than an intimidating one. At the moment what squadron of Mi-28 can do (in a secured sky) in a period of 24hrs locate artillery batteries, kill any amour skin in the present market is equivalent to what any tank squadron out there can achieve in 3 hours.Twisted Evil so even if jirani gets T-90++ or an Abrams against our present armour ndugu zanuni consider yourself safe. Iko swali mpaka hapo? Laughing

Now back to the opening question; the Vietnam war. The allied didn’t use (in plenty) their tank corps because it was a jungle war and its virtually impracticable operate Tanks in Jungle or Mountainous regions. Tanks strive well in open and wide areas. Tanks can,t maneuver turn shoot and run between large trees engagements is reduce also low as 20meters depending on the density of the forests or the inclinations of the mountainous terrain (Ole Sidai ex Tanker you will agree with me on that ).

so when you see a country sitting in the middle of or shares the Congo basin, one the word largest natural forest, investing in tank squadrons and subsequently Gunships you sit in wonder if the procurement was done out of imitation or impulsive buying. At the moment Kabila with his tank regiments T-90 (one of the latest tanks in the world) can’t punch a crack against the M23 rebels because that piece of jewel can’t fight in that environment. Those crawlers are no more than Garrisons beauty queens and parade apple eyes. Those state of the art tanks will not perform the prime function which the tax payer bought them in for, because there in the wrong environment.
Had his brass invested that cash in airborne brigades (simple choppers like the zw-9 utility version)and training or contracted an ex Vietnam veteran to draw up his military units, today rebel activities would be at per.

So young jas I know what am talking about and where such impulsive and chest thumping procurements can lead into.
Risasi
Risasi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Sidai Wed Jan 09 2013, 22:32

Now back to the opening question; the Vietnam war. The allied didn’t use (in plenty) their tank corps because it was a jungle war and its virtually impracticable operate Tanks in Jungle or Mountainous regions. Tanks strive well in open and wide areas. Tanks can,t maneuver turn shoot and run between large trees engagements is reduce also low as 20meters depending on the density of the forests or the inclinations of the mountainous terrain (Ole Sidai ex Tanker you will agree with me on that ).

so when you see a country sitting in the middle of or shares the Congo basin, one the word largest natural forest, investing in tank squadrons and subsequently Gunships you sit in wonder if the procurement was done out of imitation or impulsive buying. At the moment Kabila with his tank regiments T-90 (one of the latest tanks in the world) can’t punch a crack against the M23 rebels because that piece of jewel can’t fight in that environment. Those crawlers are no more than Garrisons beauty queens and parade apple eyes. Those state of the art tanks will not perform the prime function which the tax payer bought them in for, because there in the wrong environment.
Had his brass invested that cash in airborne brigades (simple choppers like the zw-9 utility version)and training or contracted an ex Vietnam veteran to draw up his military units, today rebel activities would be at per.

So young jas I know what am talking about and where such impulsive and chest thumping procurements can lead into.[/quote]

Very solid input bullet man. Key tactical consideration in jokeying is Tankability. You want to manouvre T-90 at Larisoro/Lagga Buna terrain or Busia/Mt Elgon which is semblance to Naivasha/Kiambu(fibua). Apart from Arua,Kitgum,Pakwach regions,the East,South,West and Central border regions are mostly swampy and populated. Therefore training and possible AOPs maybe to the North and to a lesser degree,the East. In my thinking,I don't envision any hostility between us and UG in decades to come. Peace is the best weapon and we got that btn our brothers. So those beautiful toys will benefit them against the Northern new boys.....but when???? In my last year posting, my thinking was the same. A mix of Mi-28,Mi-171,z9,Ka 52 can serve them better. Mi-35 is an over-kill but good strategically. Vertical insertion and quick emplacement is ideal for jungles and vast AOPs chasing Kony and allies.....my 2 cents.
Future combat is a grove of highly mobile compact team supported by aggressive peace enablers.
Ole Sidai
Ole Sidai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sierra Kilo Wed Jan 09 2013, 22:42

Talk of the T-90, look how beautiful yet intimidating this Algerian latest purchase is, the red eyes are simply gorgeous.

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 72780010

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 11111110

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 T-90mb10
Sierra Kilo
Sierra Kilo

Back to top Go down

Post  MOOZALENDO Thu Jan 10 2013, 17:05

Risasi wrote:

To add on the above lets share an insight:

A gunship, a tank and the armor corps. What a Face

Am writing this script cause I encounter lads and buddies (and now forummers)that claim neighboring armies have upgrade their tank corps with better tanks than ours. if we look at it as the east African safari rally then the race has been won. T-90 are now with in our vicinity vs KDF pre 80ties tanks; Vickers MK3 ,AMl-90 and pre-90ties T-72. But before I go into long debilitations I would like to take the forum 60years back with a question.

Where was the US /allied armored during the Vietnam war ?? the tank Corps seen in WII and latter modernized and featured extensively in the 1&2 Gulf war.

Where was the massive allied tank corps during the Vietnam War??

I am posting a question because of procurement blunders, impulsive buying and misuse of taxpayers done around our border and I will show you why those latest equipment’s brought around our borders shouldn’t worry you.

A gunship, a tank and the armor corps.

Of late KDF has procured latest Soviet gunships a mixed squadron of Mi-28 and Mi-28NM. A state of art gunship that rivals none other than (debatable) the US apache advance model, the longbow apache AH-64D. We need these equipment’s not for pride or vanity sake but for a defensive statute.

70% of our nation is open country (arid and semi-arid) up north, south and coast regions. Such areas are imperiling to armor incursions and indeed our neighbors do have that capability.

Strategy and tactics

gunships are therefore the best defense lines in open and wide threats against almost anything that crawls I,e for defense and counter attacks Locate and destroy in succession goes the slang. its therefore mandatory and paramount to have the best Gunship our economy can buy. The procurement of Mi28 is an imminent defense strategy rather than an intimidating one. At the moment what squadron of Mi-28 can do (in a secured sky) in a period of 24hrs locate artillery batteries, kill any amour skin in the present market is equivalent to what any tank squadron out there can achieve in 3 hours.Twisted Evil so even if jirani gets T-90++ or an Abrams against our present armour ndugu zanuni consider yourself safe. Iko swali mpaka hapo? Laughing

So young jas I know what am talking about and where such impulsive and chest thumping procurements can lead into.

Risasi, palms to forehead for high level uniform talk...civvies tunatizama na kustaajabu tu babu.

Mooz
MOOZALENDO
MOOZALENDO

Back to top Go down

Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) - Page 15 Empty correction! Havocs. Also UN Drones in Kivu

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10 2013, 18:10

Allow corrections in definitive terms to an earlier post.

I indicated " 6 Squadrons of Havoc Heli-gunships" - Now, substitute "Squadron" with "Combat Team/Detachment". Note four Elements per Combat Team.

Pole - long days, short nights added to a confusing Airman Lingo. And thank you @ole Sidai for the Eyes-on call.

@UNSC Drones ranging all over Kivu and Ituri?
First all the UN does not have Drones and their Support -infastructure and will require Sammy to deploy and operationalize the Drones 100%.

Second, Sammy is already talking about deploying Drones on UN-tasked assignments all over Africa - unarmed recon aerial vehicles on humanitarian and peacekeeping UN jigs. We know how easily Sammy WILL mutate this to passive Intel snooping and suddenly Armed enforcers of Economic Hegemony.

Thirdly we must resist such remote-control manipulated redefinition of the fast receding neo-colonial death-grip on Africa Mineral and Market Resources under the guise of western political idealism. Who is the Problem in the Congo? Who gains ultimately from the fifty year old Congo crisis?

Fourth, Africa has not suggested this method and neither has Africa's initiatives to resolve this Crisis been allowed space to fail - these American Drones in Kivu are the Camel's head in Africa's collective Tent.

Lastly there is not international guideline / rules / convention on the deployment of unmanned Aerial Surveillance Vehicles whether Armed or Unarmed, in peacetime or war, civilian or military. What if a drone was flying about undetected over Statehouse Kampala each night? Short of shooting it down how would Uganda react to such breach of sovereignty and security?

I too oppose - and am not a fan of the Tall Thin man AT ALL!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24 ... 34  Next